Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Reactions: Argonaut

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
I cannot even be bothered to search for whatever it is that you are bleating on about .
Perhaps you should take Steve’s advice regarding the ignore button!

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
The Taiko thread is an excellent example of the success of freedom of opinion and debate. It seems we have different perspective on the main objective of this forum. We want or wanted, maybe, to have knowledgeable audiophiles that would understand the reason of their choices with the help of manufacturers and a followup of their products, not recipe books about what to do. Surely this needs time and experience with this forum, and Emile gave us long explanations about his objectives. He never needed deleting posts.
Regarding the Taiko thread it’s one metric and one that you personally find successful which is fine but you fail to recognize that we don’t all live and die the same. Of late the sad trend in societies is telling others what’s good and bad and how they should behave and believe or they’ll be mobbed. This sick mindset has unfortunately found it’s way here, the confrontations are no more about audio and gear but forcing social values, your own Natural TM posts are a clear example of this behavior. In this case again you’re defining good and bad threads or right and wrong ways of engagement for everyone according to yourself. You must allow room for others with different values and individual personalities wether one agrees or disagrees with them or we’ll never have any fruitful conversations. Fleetwood sub-forum is very clear about their goals and intention to keep it on topic and limited, any reason that they shouldn’t be allowed to do so? Or others who prefer limited and not personal engagement with strangers!

david

Last edited:
Reactions: tima

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
The Taiko thread is an excellent example of the success of freedom of opinion and debate. It seems we have different perspective on the main objective of this forum. We want or wanted, maybe, to have knowledgeable audiophiles that would understand the reason of their choices with the help of manufacturers and a followup of their products, not recipe books about what to do. Surely this needs time and experience with this forum, and Emile gave us long explanations about his objectives. He never needed deleting posts.

Francisco, I quoted your whole post so as not to take something out of context, but I really want to respond to what I put in bold.

The main objective of the forum is whatever the owners want it to be. They own it and they get to decide. We then get to decide whether what is being offered has value to us and whether or not we want to participate and contribute content.

If you know where to look, there is still some great information on this site. In my opinion, it remains the best audio forum on the Internet, if we can actually describe something as such.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Unless I am mistaken, in my moderating duties, I still must abide by the site TOS. Maybe this is all semantics and could have been worded better. I realize this is a bit self-serving but would you have batted an eye if the owners had appointed me as a moderator without disclosing any of these details?

It's in Fleetwood's best interest not to go off on a censorship binge as we are trying to generate discussion around our products. I only plan to intercede when matters become personal and hopefully, I can keep my all-seeing eye smack in the middle.

Beau

No Beau, sorry I really think it is not semantics. Any manufacturer having the ability to delete posts in an public, free audio forum like WBF is simply censorship. Personal issues are handled by our forum moderators. Even the fact that you decide when it becomes personal is IMHO intrinsically against point 6 of the TOS.

"6. Please do not attempt to moderate the forum on your own. If you see objectionable posts, please report them. We will deal with them. Above all, focus on the topic being discussed, rather than the person discussing it."

BTW, what you suggested is almost an insult to the long and trusty existence of WBF moderators, who do a great work. Moderation was always a serious subject and the forum owners were always extremely transparent on such matters.

Anyway, I am waiting to read a revised version of our TOS - much better than speculating. The last edition dates from jan 3, 2021.

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...bers-to-read-before-posting-any-content.1207/

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Regarding the Taiko thread it’s one metric and one that you personally find successful which is fine but you fail to recognize that we don’t all live and die the same. Of late the sad trend in societies is telling others what’s good and bad and how they should behave and believe or they’ll be mobbed. This sick mindset has unfortunately found it’s way here, the confrontations are no more about audio and gear but forcing social values, your own Natural TM posts are a clear example of this behavior. In this case again you’re defining good and bad threads or right and wrong ways of engagement for everyone according to yourself. You must allow room for others with different values and individual personalities wether one agrees or disagrees with them or we’ll never have any fruitful conversations. Fleetwood sub-forum is very clear about their goals and intention to keep it on topic and limited, any reason that they shouldn’t be allowed to do so? Or others who prefer limited and not personal engagement with strangers!

david

I will not pollute this important thread with our opinions and divergence on Natural Sound and my wish to make thinks clear. My only point is that although we can have very different opinions and ways of debating, what is being considered is a radical change in WBF policies. You seem happy with it, I am not and I explained why. In the end the forum owners will decide.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Francisco, I quoted your whole post so as not to take something out of context, but I really want to respond to what I put in bold.

The main objective of the forum is whatever the owners want it to be. They own it and they get to decide. We then get to decide whether what is being offered has value to us and whether or not we want to participate and contribute content.

I fully agree with you.

If you know where to look, there is still some great information on this site. In my opinion, it remains the best audio forum on the Internet, if we can actually describe something as such.

I always say that there is no best Peter, so can't agree. ;) It is surely my preferred audio forum and the current TOS and equality habits helped to create and keep it.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I will not pollute this important thread with our opinions and divergence on Natural Sound and my wish to make thinks clear. My only point is that although we can have very different opinions and ways of debating, what is being considered is a radical change in WBF policies. You seem happy with it, I am not and I explained why. In the end the forum owners will decide.
I’m neither happy nor unhappy about the self moderating forum, I still haven’t one good reason why there shouldn’t be one if that’s what some people want. Throwing the general forum TOS isn’t a valid argument IMO. In case you missed it you’re
No Beau, sorry I really think it is not semantics. Any manufacturer having the ability to delete posts in an public, free audio forum like WBF is simply censorship. Personal issues are handled by our forum moderators. Even the fact that you decide when it becomes personal is IMHO intrinsically against point 6 of the TOS.

"6. Please do not attempt to moderate the forum on your own. If you see objectionable posts, please report them. We will deal with them. Above all, focus on the topic being discussed, rather than the person discussing it."
Funny thing is you’re policing the entire forum while accusing Beau of something he might or might not do in the future.
BTW, what you suggested is almost an insult to the long and trusty existence of WBF moderators, who do a great work. Moderation was always a serious subject and the forum owners were always extremely transparent on such matters.
We’ve had our own share of disagreements with moderators and specially one another, please save the sanctimony! Forum moderators censored and deleted posts too in effect Beau is a forum moderator with a narrower focus. I fail to see the difference in practice.
Anyway, I am waiting to read a revised version of our TOS - much better than speculating. The last edition dates from jan 3, 2021.

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...bers-to-read-before-posting-any-content.1207/
You conveniently left out TOS 2, 3, 4 & 5, what transpired on the in the Fleetwood forum was a direct violation of the above. We’re here because those post were deleted by the original team and they were accused of taking sides, self moderating sub-forum is to avoid that. The rules for such forums are clear enough for now. Participate if you want or not, their existence doesn’t threaten any member here.

david

Chop

Aug 9, 2020
England

I've read all through all of this thread and unfortunately feel somewhere between sad and incredulous that what is for me the most valuable forum on the internet is considering this. Doesn't having sub forums which are moderated by the manufacturers go against the ethos which has made WBF so successful? As others have said (see posts 28, 32, 36, 39, 44, 68, 78 & 80 as examples) I fear this may destroy the essence of WBF.

Commercially I understand completely why the WBF owners may want to set up Dedicated Manufacturer Sub Forums. The problem is that unless these are really clearly differentiated (as was suggested early on in this thread) there is the danger that the casual reader may not realise they are reading a Manufacturer moderated Sub Forum & get an inaccurate perspective on a given product.
For me, WBF works because posters are free to discuss a topic or manufacturer or their product critically, openly, intelligently, and perceived challenges with that product or manufacturer are raised and debated. If you give manufacturers the ability to remove critical comment you remove freedom and potentially destroy the overall reliability of what is posted on a thread. As an earlier poster says

"But in part what separated WBF from all these forums was the ability to discuss audio subjects in freedom and this created the condition to many interesting discussions and digging in challenging and even obscure audio subjects."

If we remove the ability for posters to critique a manufacturer we create what effectively becomes nothing more than anodyne advertising puff.

Having said all that I recognise the decision has been made to do this. So OK lets try it, and see how clearly they can be identified, but without it being very very clear when we are on such a sub forum I fear we may be on a slippery slope.

Last edited:

facten

Feb 13, 2022
Tennessee
Weiss made this statement in one of their threads "what other real speaker manufacturer uses solid wood? With joinery structure no less?" I responded Daedalus, solid hardwoods, handcrafted cabinets with joinery. Their moderator subsequently deleted my post I guess for it not aligning with his quasi -boss' storyline. So, just one example but you're probably right. Nonetheless, guess the main forum remains an avenue to critique them or any other manufacturer.

Salectric

Jan 15, 2012
@facten
That’s interesting because my post also mentioned Daedalus and Sonus Faber and it’s still there. I just checked—it’s Post 61. In any case, it illustrates how a manufacturer-moderated thread can allow incorrect factual statements to remain on a forum without correction.

facten

Feb 13, 2022
Tennessee
@facten
That’s interesting because my post also mentioned Daedalus and Sonus Faber and it’s still there. I just checked—it’s Post 61. In any case, it illustrates how a manufacturer-moderated thread can allow incorrect factual statements to remain on a forum without correction.
Yes, I saw yours was there still. After your post Weiss had posted something to the effect that he wasn't talking about boards glued together, etc. which is when I posted what I did. They removed both mine and that 2nd of his, but the fact remains showing what he stated and then being corrected was a place too far

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
It would appear that we have morphed into an extension of the shopping channel , whatever next , painfully embarrassing imho.

Salectric

Jan 15, 2012
It would appear that we have morphed into an extension of the shopping channel , whatever next , painfully embarrassing imho.

That’s sad. But it fits my general impression that Fleetwood/OMA gear is more of a lifestyle product.

Reactions: christoph

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
People will figure out if a thread gets over modered and turns into an add. I don't have the Fleetwood thread show in my notification box. And I never think twice when it shows in latest activity. I open what I want from there.

If you feel the manufacture thread is deceptive, start a new thread and state your case.

FWIW, I don't not watch my TV because some channels are infomercials. I just pass by the channel and engage with what interest me.

Reactions: SCAudiophile

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing