Dedicated power line for my audio

Gankhuyag

Oct 19, 2020
Mongolia
Hello dear members,

I am building a new house therefore I wonder what would be a better arrangement ( amps for circuit breaker, cable type and width etc) of a dedicated power to my system. My gears work on 230V.
thank you very much for your advice in advance.

Rocoa

Oct 17, 2018
Spain
Hello,

Take a look here:

Gankhuyag

Oct 19, 2020
Mongolia
Hello,

Take a look here:

Thanks a lot

plasmod3

Aug 28, 2020
Hello dear members,

I am building a new house therefore I wonder what would be a better arrangement ( amps for circuit breaker, cable type and width etc) of a dedicated power to my system. My gears work on 230V.
thank you very much for your advice in advance.
look up the gigawatt in wall cable - the set up i have is using the inwall cable which is quite cheap actually with the gigawatt breaker. a torus power wall unit that passes the main through prior to the in wall cable to your room will work best as well. I do wonder if the neotech 3200 will make a good in wall cable ....but that is another discussion for another time.

Reactions: Gankhuyag

Gankhuyag

Oct 19, 2020
Mongolia
look up the gigawatt in wall cable - the set up i have is using the inwall cable which is quite cheap actually with the gigawatt breaker. a torus power wall unit that passes the main through prior to the in wall cable to your room will work best as well. I do wonder if the neotech 3200 will make a good in wall cable ....but that is another discussion for another time.
Got it. Looks like Gigawatt CB is the most recommended. Thanks!

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Nothing's dedicated, unless the audio is installed on a completely separate phase from the primary phase that powers the house. Most houses are wired on only one phase, referred to as "single-phase."

The only way to make your audio system on a dedicated AC line, is to wire just one AC outlet directly to the mains board, on a dedicated switch/ CB. Install a slightly thicker wire would also help, as long as you're getting 10amps the most. That's more than plenty for hifi, you don't require more than that. These are not industrial welding machines that require and drain large amounts of current. It's just domestic hifi, nothing else!

Check how many phases your house actually has, if there are two phases, then perhaps get an electrician to wire the audio onto a separate phase, one preferably away from the fridge, kettle, washing machine, dishwasher etc. The best would be to wire the audio onto a phase that uses only lights, this is a low to moderate load and the audio will have more than plenty of current available.

This is exactly how I had my system wired back in my homeland, Colombo, where our house actually had three-phase AC mains. However, now we live in Aus, and our humble home is only based on a single-phase, so although I've installed dedicated wiring for the audio, with a separate switch & dedicated CB, that mains board is still sharing the rest of the household's electrical points, simply because everything is loaded onto a single-phase. That's the local building code, nothing we can do about it!

There's a lot of snake oil in this area and we as audiophiles get highly carried away, taking things too far without addressing the basics. Just ask any qualified electrician who has worked on high current installations with multiple phases in both domestic and commercial installations, you'll be surprised at the information on hand!

All the best, and don't get carried away with fancy cables and massive power cords, they're totally unnecessary! Just stick with good quality AWG for your AC lines for wiring the audio, that's about it really!

Cheers, RJ

K3RMIT

Sep 4, 2020
My advice is install a Main lug
copper bus panel in your room or just outside. this way the In wall wiring is shorter. your grounding is to this panel again close to your outlets.
your equipment being 230 volt is better there is no alt phase.
regarding in wall wiring there are norm to exotic types to use. what ever you choose grounding is paramount and isolated.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Yes, infact we've done this! The electrician team that visited last did exactly this layout with approval, since in Aus we have to abide by laws and approvals of any mods...

It really helps, plus adds super quietness to the entire system, can't hear a thing. The only issue was that Spec aluminium disc mat that was causing the preamp to shut down whenever I lifted off the LP. Anyway, that's a separate static issue that I'm dealing with on the TT rig...

This copper lug thing is a pretty simple installation and really works well if done properly. Also, it helps to get an electrician team that also understands Audio systems and not just hooking up wires, CB's and panels and forwarding an invoice. Luckily the chief tech happened to be an audiophile himself! Nice one.

Enjoy those fine tunes!
RJ

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing