delightful day with Lenny and Gustav (and a little EMT too)

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
the forecast today was for the high 90's......in Seattle.....so what does an audiophile do?

hummm?

slept in until 7am, out the door at 7:15am driving to Portland, Oregon (390 mile round trip.....very light traffic) to pick up an EMT 948 + Durand Kiros tone arm for my #2 Miyajima Infinity mono (0.7mil stylus). i have the 1.0 mil stylus version mounted on my NVS/Telos......and have run out of arms. had this EMT 948 (one just like this one) in my room for 3 years but never liked the arm or cartridge. think i'll like this one just fine.

1597622009855.png

got back to my room at 1:20pm (6 hours, 5 minutes/400 total miles including stop-for-gas, drive-thru-burger, and picking up & dropping off the stuff) including a detour to drop off the EMT at my friend Andrew's house to go over it and make sure it's in tip top shape.

sat down in my room and opened up Quboz and selected a 2005 Ivan Fischer Mahler #2 with the Budapest Festival Orchestra, dimed the lights and away i went. liked it, but thought maybe if i go to a file on my hard drive it would get a little more real and i was looking for serious recovery from my drive. decided to switch to a native 4xdsd Mahler #2 from Daniele Gatti recording on my hard drive, this was even better.......got about 20 minutes in and thought about what Mahler #2's i have on vinyl and recalled i have the Bernstein CBS (1974) Mahler Box Set, so grabbed that and found the 2 discs for #2 and put that on the CS Port.

away we go. ok now, we are getting deep into the music.......

full disclosure; i don't know my Mahler at all. but i do know that i like it. keep playing it. and this one is really great to my ears; very lively....lots of nuance and subtlety, holographic, lovely string tone, flows along. i've played this box before. it's good however i experience it. i'm finished with disc 1, the first 2 movements, and now time for the 3rd movement. my 400 miles are now completely behind me. it's Lenny and Gustav and me. this is really wonderful. it's with the London Symphony Orchestra.

1597622129887.png

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
...what a great read...ultimate dedication to great audio...frustrations of the time/aggravation to get there...and the magic of the reward...all in one story.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
He usually starts listening at 5

exactly.

Saturday night i went to bed late, but could not sleep so got up for awhile, then finally got to sleep at 1am.......hence 7am wake-up.

typical is listening by 5-5:30am-7:00am then get ready for work. one reason i have the barn, and even moved 16 years ago now, is my wife (of 46 years) is a very light sleeper and i could not listen early or late. obviously now not an issue, and she is happy.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
exactly.

Saturday night i went to bed late, but could not sleep so got up for awhile, then finally got to sleep at 1am.......hence 7am wake-up.

typical is listening by 5-5:30am-7:00am then get ready for work. one reason i have the barn, and even moved 16 years ago now, is my wife (of 46 years) is a very light sleeper and i could not listen early or late. obviously now not an issue, and she is happy.
I guess with a view and scenery like that, it's nice to get up at the crack of dawn. Of course, having a room and system like that helps too :)

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
It takes balls a certain daring to listen to those opening basses of Mahler's Resurrection symphony when first waking up at either 5 or 7am . :)

You might not be into Mahler enough to try different editions, but Lenny's 1980s cycle on DG is also pretty amazing.

Mahler 2 Bernstein NY Philharmonic.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing