Dell Inspiron 17 5000 series (non-touch)

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
My Toshiba Satellite finally bit the dust 2 weeks ago after 8 years of trouble-free and excellent performance. Since then I've been using a MS Surface RT tablet until I decided on a new laptop. I decided to try out of of the Dell laptops as I've been very happy with my Dell Inspiron 545 desktop for the last 6 years. Note: The desktop is being relegated for future use with my audio system.

In using the tablet I came to the conclusion that I didn't want a touch-screen on a new laptop as I find the use of an optional external mouse more efficient and comfortable for my needs. It also drives me nuts to see all of the fingerprints on the screen.

Since I'm not a true power user I opted for the model linked below and added a three-year protection plan for a nominal fee. It has a nice i5 processor, 8GB RAM and a 1TB drive. Additionally it has a USB 3.0 and two USB 2.0 inputs, plus HDMI, a card reader and CD/DVD optical drive.

http://www.dell.com/ca/p/inspiron-1...58_bt_b2434e&model_id=inspiron-17-5758-laptop

My days as more of a power user are over and all I need is reliable performance for a good price. I think this portable will deliver that.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
I bought a Dell Inspiron 17SE about 2.5 years ago and it has been a great buy.
Last week it crashed and though I was able to get it back up with some difficulty the Dell diagnostics indicated that the hard drive was about to fail completely.
I rang the service people(in India as it happens) at about 10.30 am on Monday and at 9.10 am on Tuesday a Dell service engineer arrived at my home and installed a new hard drive under the three year warranty.

So great performance and service when things went wrong which seem to me to be a pretty good recommendation for buying a Dell

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I bought a Dell Inspiron 17SE about 2.5 years ago and it has been a great buy.
Last week it crashed and though I was able to get it back up with some difficulty the Dell diagnostics indicated that the hard drive was about to fail completely.
I rang the service people(in India as it happens) at about 10.30 am on Monday and at 9.10 am on Tuesday a Dell service engineer arrived at my home and installed a new hard drive under the three year warranty.

So great performance and service when things went wrong which seem to me to be a pretty good recommendation for buying a Dell

Thanks for posting your experience Barry! Hopefully I won't need the service, but it's nice to read that they come through for their customers when needed. I'm feeling even more confident now about my purchase! :D

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I either lucked out through a mistake or they decided to upgrade me due to an issue I had during the initial ordering process.

I double-checked and verified that I did indeed link you guys through to the correct unit I bought. However, the small Intel sticker says it has an i7 processor, not an i5. Well, my Control panel says it is indeed an i7 processor. Nice!:D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing