Delmark Records Release Junior Wells Blues Band, Hoo Doo Man Blues on 1/4" Reel to Reel Tape

Don-RMGI

Mar 30, 2019
80 miles Southwest of Chicago,
Delmark Records has released Junior Wells Blues Band, Hoo Doo Man Blues on 1/4" Reel to Reel Tape. The album was recorded in 1965 with Buddy Guy on Guitar. This album is in the Grammy Hall of Fame and is ranked in top 25 Blues Album ever recorded.

This is available in two formats, a two reel 1/2 track,15 IPS, IEC and a single 1/4 track, 7 1/2 IPS, NAB. The album is available now, at Pre-Orders prices of $375.00 for the 15 IPS album and $139.00 for the 7 1/2 IPS. These prices are good until May 12th, 2019.

Orders can be placed at www.delmark.com

The Hoo Doo Man is Delmarks #1 selling album of all time, this is their first tape release. Additionally, at Axpona they will be releasing Jimmy Forrest, All the Gin is Gone (jazz).

Following those two release will be Magic Sam Blues Band, West Side Soul (blues) and Sun Ra and his Arkestra, Sun Song. Release dates TBA.

Attachments

• 612-square-1400x1400-01.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 15
Reactions: zerostargeneral

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I heard that at the general's first and own the LP now

Reactions: zerostargeneral

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Does this mean two choices are as follows;

2 track, 1/4" 15ips IEC
4 track, 1/4" 7 1/2ips NAB

I am just asking as writing 1/2 track makes me question if they mean 1/2" but I think not. I would love to get the 2 track if it is out the way I have written.

Don-RMGI

Mar 30, 2019
Does this mean two choices are as follows;

2 track, 1/4" 15ips IEC
4 track, 1/4" 7 1/2ips NAB

I am just asking as writing 1/2 track makes me question if they mean 1/2" but I think not. I would love to get the 2 track if it is out the way I have written.

Currently it is only available on 1/4" tape. 2 track, 15ips IEC on 2 10.5" metal reels and 1/4 track 7 1/2ips NAB on 7" plastic reel.

We are looking into making it available on 1/2" as well.

Reactions: kodomo

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I ordered a copy.

russe41

Dec 6, 2016
Tried to order and says no shipping to my address, first time ever.
Spend my cash elsewhere.

Don-RMGI

Mar 30, 2019
Tried to order and says no shipping to my address, first time ever.
Spend my cash elsewhere.
I am doing the duplication for Delmark and I will be dropping off a few reels to them at the Axpona show in Chicago tomorrow. Can you PM me some details and I will try to figure out why this happened. Sorry of the inconvenience you experienced.
Don

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Don,

Two questions...
Were you a former distributor for RMGI?

Is the source for the dubs 1/2"?

Thanks.

-Sam

Don-RMGI

Mar 30, 2019
HI Sam,
Yes, I was the original for RMGI. Before that we distributed the BASF/EMTEC line of products before they went out of business. Since then the I have been the North America Distriburor for RMGI, Pyral and RTM until RTM decided to take over direct distribution in North America. A fine company who never even gave me a thank you for all of the input I gave over a three year period. Then took may major customer on a direct basis. A very nice company to do business with. Cost me over 7 figures in sales.

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
HI Sam,
Yes, I was the original for RMGI. Before that we distributed the BASF/EMTEC line of products before they went out of business. Since then the I have been the North America Distriburor for RMGI, Pyral and RTM until RTM decided to take over direct distribution in North America. A fine company who never even gave me a thank you for all of the input I gave over a three year period. Then took may major customer on a direct basis. A very nice company to do business with. Cost me over 7 figures in sales.

Hi, Don,

I thought it may have been you. I appreciate your reply and hope we can chat more. Your experience is unique. Welcome.

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Don,

What's your informed opinion regarding 1/2" dubs @ 15 ips, IEC, compared to 1/4"? Can you enlighten us as to your repro/record duplication chain?
What tape stock is used for the dub?

Thanks. :cool:

Don-RMGI

Mar 30, 2019
Don,

What's your informed opinion regarding 1/2" dubs @ 15 ips, IEC, compared to 1/4"? Can you enlighten us as to your repro/record duplication chain?
What tape stock is used for the dub?

Thanks.:cool:[/QUOTE

Sam, the 1/2" dubs @ 15 ips, IEC should have slightly better fidelity, but it will not be a remarkable difference. I think the quality of the master and attention to detail in the duplication process is the key to making high quality dubs. Either 1/4" or 1/2".

As for my duplication chain, all of the machines I use have been fully restored and modified by Soren Wittrup at CS Electrionics in Indiana. For the head end, I have a Otrari MRT 12 1/2" 4 track, with a head stack that was modified by John French to playback either 1/4 track or 1/2 track tape. Currently I have four dub decks are all Otari MTR 10's for 1/4" 1/2 track and two Tascam 44ob 's for 1/4 track duplication. I use a Studer distribution amp for connection between the master recorder and the dub decks. I use SM-911 tape for the duplicates.

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Thanks for the informative reply, Dan. Are the 1/2" dub prices out, yet? Please let us know!

sunan

Jun 7, 2015
Hello Don,
Do you plan on bringing out other titles in the future? Also do you know what type of deck was used to produce the 4 track 7.5 IPS NAB copy?

Don-RMGI

Mar 30, 2019
Hello Sunan,

Yes, currently the plan is to release another three albums. Next will beJimmy Forrest, All the Gin is Gone, which is being released for sale at Axpona in Chicago this weekend. Then Sun Ra and his Arkestra, Sun Song, followed by Magic Sam, West Side Soul.

Delmark has about 170 analog masters in their tape vault, so if these see reasonable success, I am sure there will be many more to follow.

For the 1/4 track dubs we use fully restored and modified Tascam 44ob recorders and Otari MTR 10's that have been fully restored and modified for the 1/2 track recording.

Don

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
No we have not done any 1/2" dubs so far. I will be with the people from Delmark for the next three days at Axpona, so I will discuss it with them at the show.
Thanks, Don...look forward to the pricing.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing