Denafrips product owners please fall in

Abyss Man

Jun 17, 2019
I hate to ask this, but what's the initial impression like Blake?

Blake

Jun 28, 2018
I hate to ask this, but what's the initial impression like Blake?

Well, it isn't really fair to the Argentus as it has only been in the system for a few hours but cold with no burn in, but it is very detailed and clear but it is a bit bright and hard sounding at the moment. ... and I only listened to a few songs. I wasn't really planning on listening critically for a few more days. Having done lots of cable experiments over the years, I am not worried as this harder edge is common to most cables I've tried when they have not been burned in.

Reactions: Abyss Man

Abyss Man

Jun 17, 2019
Well, it isn't really fair to the Argentus as it has only been in the system for a few hours but cold with no burn in, but it is very detailed and clear but it is a bit bright and hard sounding at the moment. ... and I only listened to a few songs. I wasn't really planning on listening critically for a few more days. Having done lots of cable experiments over the years, I am not worried as this harder edge is common to most cables I've tried when they have not been burned in.
I fully concur Blake, and even more so for Solid core silver conductors. My Mundorf Silver/Gold DC cables are prime examples. Hang in there buddy, it usually takes about 300 hours for them to open up and smooth out. My Tellurium Silver Power cords, which I’m not even sure if they use silver, had the same issue. I almost took them out of my setup, thank god I didn’t and am reaping the benefits. Happy listening sir.

Blake

Jun 28, 2018
I was also thinking today, that I had not previously used the HDMI output on the Gaia, or HDMI input on the TPlus. I assume there is some burn in when new inputs or outputs are first used on a component (i.e. there is the overall burn in of the component, but also a secondary level of burn in associated with the different inputs and outputs).

Abyss Man

Jun 17, 2019
Hi guys,
Care to share the power cords that are being used and any A/B comparisons which we can share. On a personal note, my TP is on Tellurium Black, I’m thinking of getting either another Tellurium Black or a Shunyata Delta NR. I have noticed that Denafrips products aren’t really all that reactive to power cords, maybe it’s because their internal PSU is very good. I’m not sure but I’d rather err on the right side hence going with a good quality power cord.

Reactions: Wouterk

Abyss Man

Jun 17, 2019
I was also thinking today, that I had not previously used the HDMI output on the Gaia, or HDMI input on the TPlus. I assume there is some burn in when new inputs or outputs are first used on a component (i.e. there is the overall burn in of the component, but also a secondary level of burn in associated with the different inputs and outputs).

Hi Blake,
That’s true, the circuit path gets grilled too, Guess that’s the whole burn in process we talk about. The TP, I noticed is still opening up, the sound is smoother than initial. If there is more of this in store, damn, it’s going to to be fun. I lost some 3-D and holographic presentation after removing the Iris, but I’m nit picking here, just the TP on its own is operating at a pretty high level. My toes are still tapping so that’s a good sign. LOL.

Reactions: Blake

Blake

Jun 28, 2018
Hi guys,
Care to share the power cords that are being used and any A/B comparisons which we can share. On a personal note, my TP is on Tellurium Black, I’m thinking of getting either another Tellurium Black or a Shunyata Delta NR. I have noticed that Denafrips products aren’t really all that reactive to power cords, maybe it’s because their internal PSU is very good. I’m not sure but I’d rather err on the right side hence going with a good quality power cord.

You know, I am finding both the Gaia and TPlus are sensitive to power cords. I heard a pretty distinct change in sound as I went through 5 different brand/model power cords on each of them and the sonic character changed each time. I have settled on the latest versions of the Kimber Kable Palladian PK14 on the Gaia and Kimber Kable Palladian PK 10 on the TPlus. The Farad Super3's powering the EtherRegen and UltraRendu are both fed via Kimber Kable Ascent PK 14's.

I have a Kimber Palladian PK10 from the wall outlet to my PS Audio DS Power Plant 12. Finally, I have Sablon Gran Corona power cords on my Melco server, preamp and power amp.

On an unrelated note, I am also finding the Gaia and TPlus are sensitive to footers. I am experimenting with Stillpoints Ultra SS, Stillpoints Ultra Minis, Synergistic Research MiG's, Boston Audio Tune Blocks and Symposium Acoustic Rollerblock Jr.'s. (yes, I have accumulated a lot of footers over the last few years).

Great write up by AudioBacon:

https://audiobacon.net/2019/08/17/27-audiophile-power-cables-reviewed/

Last edited:

Abyss Man

Jun 17, 2019
You know, I am finding both the Gaia and TPlus are sensitive to power cords. I heard a pretty distinct change in sound as I went through 5 different brand/model power cords on each of them and the sonic character changed each time. I have settled on the latest versions of the Kimber Kable Palladian PK14 on the Gaia and Kimber Kable Palladian PK 10 on the TPlus. The Farad Super3's powering the EtherRegen and UltraRendu are both fed via Kimber Kable Ascent PK 14's.

I have a Kimber Palladian PK10 from the wall outlet to my PS Audio DS Power Plant 12. Finally, I have Sablon Gran Corona power cords on my Melco server, preamp and power amp.

On an unrelated note, I am also finding the Gaia and TPlus are sensitive to footers. I am experimenting with Stillpoints Ultra SS, Stillpoints Ultra Minis, Synergistic Research MiG's, Boston Audio Tune Blocks and Symposium Acoustic Rollerblock Jr.'s. (yes, I have accumulated a lot of footers over the last few years).

Great write up by AudioBacon:

https://audiobacon.net/2019/08/17/27-audiophile-power-cables-reviewed/
Hi Blake,
It’s funny how we keep allegiance to a certain branding, I’m a Tellurium guy myself. Apart from a Shunyata Alpha NR feeding my Triton from the wall, all other cables are Tellurium Black or Silver.

I’m using Cold Ray footers myself. Interesting that you find the TP and Gaia react to power cords, I was using a Monster 400 powerline cord, it’s an el cheapo cable and the 1st cable I use to test out equipment, rational being, if they perform well with this entry level cable then it’s a safe bet that they will scale well with a good quality cable. It’s my theory anyway, was going to get a Tellurium Black to try out the Iris and Gaia but alas the Iris had go to another for audition. I will be sure to try it out when my Gaia arrives.

BTW, does the IEC inlet on the Gaia have a fuse? I cannot recall now, the Iris had one.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Thanks to all owners and Alvin for your thoughts on T and T+. It’s great to get a sense of how the T+ builds on the Termi experience.

I’m considering perhaps a T+ for a system that would then be fed by a Antipodes CX+EX combo server from another room. I have a spare Sotm ultra that I could use as renderer and then feed into the T+ via USB but I wondered if there were any moves from Denafrips to make the T+ a Roon end point and or Ethernet ready Dac. Would be great to get Alvin’s feed in on this if there were any plans on going Roon ready with the Termi.

My other option is a Bricasti M3 which is already Ethernet ready and I have the Chord TT2 + mscaler already in the other room running with the Antipodes combo. Any thoughts or experiences on the T+ or in relationship to experiences with Bricasti would also be great.

cheers
Tao

Last edited:
Reactions: Audiophile Bill

alvin1118

Nov 2, 2015
Singapore
www.vinshineaudio.com
Most welcome, Tao.

There is no plan of roon endpoint for the DENAFRIPS DAC. The real-estate of the DENAFRIPS DAC are fully occupied, there is no space for streamer module. Perhaps an external streamer like SOtM could be a viable solution.

Coincidentally, I did an installation today for a gentleman in Singapore. He uses full loom of SOtM gears.
https://www.vinshineaudio.com/post/terminator-plus-installation

I personal use SOtM/Sonore/Soundaware as roon endpoint as well. They work well with DENAFRIPS DAC :)

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Thanks Alvin, much appreciated.

Blake

Jun 28, 2018
That is one terrific system you have Tao!

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Thank you Blake, someone actually asked me if I was a dealer once lol... but a good mate said no that I just have letting go issues :eek:

Am very much enjoying your new journey with the T+ and Gaia.

It strikes me you are doing so much right in the way you are going at it. I also find that digital is very dependant on isolation both electrical and physical so cables and footers as well as gear like switches shape the outcome to a huge degree and the value of the server has also become really even more obvious as we go as well.

Abyss Man

Jun 17, 2019
Hi Tao,
I so agree with you, I recently changed out my LPS to Farad 3 and that brought about a nice bump in SQ, coupled with the Mundorf Silver/Gold Hook up wires as DC cables. Got some Cold Ray footers for my sms-200 ultra NEO and Tx-usb-Ultra as well.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Yes, stock DC cables on psu can rather scary unshielded things and not ideal connectors. In the digital environment RFI can be so very unhelpful :oops:. The Farads look real good.

alvin1118

Nov 2, 2015
Singapore
www.vinshineaudio.com

Blake

Jun 28, 2018
Great job on the videos Alvin. These instructional videos will be very useful to future buyers. Your system is looking great!

ALF

Mar 15, 2012
Southwest
Hi Guys,
I just wanted to start this thread to engage fellow music lovers who are using Denafrips range of products. Personally I am using the Terminator DAC and the newly released DDC Gaia (though its out on loan now). As of late they have released an excellent range of products which are well engineered and sound good too.

I had the oppurtunity to listen to their newly released Terminator Plus, and I must say, it is another hit from them. Please share your impressions. Thank you guys.

Here is a link to their website and honest reviews from users. https://www.denafrips.com/news

Do feel free to post some nice photos of your setup as well. Cheers and please stay safe all.

Hello Abyss Man,

Lovely setup! I just noticed your SPEC Corp amplifier, very sweet...tonally it is superb music machine...congratulations!

vbw,
-a

Abyss Man

Jun 17, 2019
Hello Abyss Man,

Lovely setup! I just noticed your SPEC Corp amplifier, very sweet...tonally it is superb music machine...congratulations!

vbw,
-a
Hi Alf,
Thank you so much for the kind words, and yes, indeed it is. It's a Class D mind you, but it's so well engineered that it sounds almost tube like. Its very natural and raw. It drives my Abyss phi CC headphones.

Reactions: ALF

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing