Denafrips product owners please fall in

richard_crl032

Sep 10, 2019
Singapore
Hi,

Seems there is some TP owners also with Avatar and getting or already gotten the GAIA especially usually fast bros from HongKong ?

Can anyone share success of daisy chain clocking of both to the TP please ?

The daisy chain topology is taken from gearslutz and repeated in musictech:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/235181-correct-termination.html

https://www.musictech.net/tutorials/ten-minute-master-digital-word-clocks/

Else there is no way to sync both the avatar and gaia to the seemingly best ocxo clock in the Terminator Plus else it is kind of dumb for latest offerings of "denafrips ecosystem" without some other distribution/buffer clock like a apogee big ben or drawmer M clock that I certainly wish to avoid.

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers.

Richard

View attachment 67568 View attachment 67573

Hi All,

First of all, daisy chain of Avatar and gaia input to oxco clock output of T+ works !! This is really a denafrips ecosystem of digital playback though not advertised as such by denafrips or mentioned in detailed review by 6moon.

Secondly, key objective of getting aes-ebu output of my Bel Canto fm-1 tuner to gaia to convert to i2s and synced to oxco clock of T+ sounds so much better .. more detailed and clean with blacker background like veil had been lifted as compared to direct aes-ebu output directly to T+. Asked my dotter as I switch between the 2 and she remarked "you need to ask ? So obvious !"

Thirdly, on this main query if usb input directly to T+ or via gaia to convert to i2s that is synced to the oxco clock of T+, there is no miracle for the usb of my Antipodes ex and sounded less detailed and less engaging.

Speculative but the usb output from my Antipodes is no slouch and does not benefit from going via gaia but a lesser usb source may.

Similarly, the aes-ebu of my Bel Canto tuner benefitted very much via the gaia after conversion to i2s and synced to the ocxo clock of T+ but perhaps a higher quality aes-ebu or other digital source of say esoteric k series transport may not ... Avatar that I tested for sure benefits when synced to T+ .. more solid imaging and prat.

Hope this helps and YMMV since system dependent, personal preference and past experience ... I am still enjoying my Bel Canto fm 1 and it is unbelievable that fm radio can sound this good

Cheers.

Richard

Reactions: CKKeung

richard_crl032

Sep 10, 2019
Singapore
**Speculative but the usb output from my Antipodes is no slouch and does not benefit from going via gaia but a lesser usb source may.**

Hi All,

For completeness of the abovementioned, I connected my allo's usb bridge to the gaia and behold the needed validation ... the sound quality improved to more detailed, dense and musical presentation !

Believe this update sums up the outcome of my planned venture with gaia with synced clock to T+ and i2s and should help bros here to consider the digital source quality if gaia will improve the sound quality of your system if you have the T+ .. Antipodes did not but allo usb bridge signature certainly and obviously does.

Unfortunately, I cannot share further on validated result of the more common query getting the gaia for the standard Terminator or non Denafrips dac since having none.

I can only guess that without synced clock or even i2s connectivity of T+ which I covet due to their sound technical advantages, improvement is likely less but pure speculation of course while bro Blake, John, Abyss etc. had already reported improvement of the gaia with at least the standard Terminator and/or T+.

Cheers.

Richard

20200803_002905.jpg 20200803_002723 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: CKKeung

richard_crl032

Sep 10, 2019
Singapore
Hi All,

Just listened to the allo's usb bridge signature via the gaia and T+ and compared the Antipodes directly via the T+ with various same tracks on both.

Without the gaia for both allo's and Antipodes to the T+ that I am very familiar with, it was like subjectively 60-70% for the allo's if Antipodes is at 90% ....

With the gaia for allo's, it gets to 75-80% of the Antipodes which is quite impressive and nice as a backup server but it also tells me just how nice the Antipodes is .. more crisp, clear and extended in comparison.

Again ymmv and this helps further ....

Cheers.

Richard

Last edited:
Reactions: Blake and CKKeung

richard_crl032

Sep 10, 2019
Singapore
Terminator Plus on it's way to replace Terminator! Will be here on Monday if DHL is on track. Really looking forward to it.

Hi Woodrand,

Congras !! :D

Is the cdp a Jay's or Avatar ?

Do get 2 bnc clock cable ready if it is an Avator to sync to ocxo clock of the T+ instead of internal femto clock.

Synced devices also sound better imho with single master clock instead of 2 clocks which I believe is due to reduced jitter ... canare d5.5uhdc01e bnc clock by pro audio where all these clockings are often implemented is vfm and excellent even.

Cheers.

Richard

Reactions: woodrand

woodrand

Apr 3, 2017
Hi Woodrand,

Congras !! :D

Is the cdp a Jay's or Avatar ?

Do get 2 bnc clock cable ready if it is an Avator to sync to ocxo clock of the T+ instead of internal femto clock.

Synced devices also sound better imho with single master clock instead of 2 clocks which I believe is due to reduced jitter ... canare d5.5uhdc01e bnc clock by pro audio where all these clockings are often implemented is vfm and excellent even.

Cheers.

Richard
Thanks for the advice, Richard :D
The cdp is Jay's Audio CDT Mk2.
I am thinking about replacing it with the Avatar, or could it be possible to keep it and buy a Gaia instead?
Anyway, I will get familiar with the Terminator Plus / Jay's combo first before I decide.

richard_crl032

Sep 10, 2019
Singapore
Thanks for the advice, Richard :D
The cdp is Jay's Audio CDT Mk2.
I am thinking about replacing it with the Avatar, or could it be possible to keep it and buy a Gaia instead?
Anyway, I will get familiar with the Terminator Plus / Jay's combo first before I decide.

Hi woodrand,

Guess we took similar starting route ...

Not sure if it is tuning synergy but even with standard T, avatar already sounded more engaging. I tried the avatar as preferred i2s hdmi was taken by single i2s hdmi output of my nuprime omnia s1 to also single i2s hdmi output of the Jay's while Avatar has even i2s rj45 in preferred lvds format.

With the T+, it was a futile effort of the Jay's cdt2 which I sold cheaply after 9 mths but still enough for brand new Avatar.

Using the gaia for sure is possible as with any digital source but no i2s output of Jay's for my use case and no direct sync to superior ocxo clock in the T+ in additional to various digital conversions.

I had no choice for my bel canto fm1 tuner since forgotten technology but yes, it certainly improve it but Avator will solve all.

Cheers.

Richard

Last edited:
Reactions: woodrand

woodrand

Apr 3, 2017
Hi woodrand,

Not sure if it is tuning synergy but even with standard T, avatar already sounded more engaging. I tried the avatar as preferred i2s hdmi was taken by single i2s hdmi output of my nuprime omnia s1 to also single i2s hdmi output of the Jay's while Avatar has even i2s rj45 in preferred lvds format.

With the T+, it was a futile effort of the Jay's cdt2 which I sold cheaply after 9 mths but still enough for brand new Avatar.

Using the gaia for sure is possible as with any digital source but no i2s output of Jay's and no direct sync to superior ocxo clock in the T+ in additional to various digital conversions.

I had no choice for my bel canto fm1 tuner since forgotten technology but yes, it certainly improve it but Avator will solve all.

Cheers.

Richard
Hi Richard,
I am reading with great interest - and I will keep in mind that Avatar will solve all. Guess it is the solution as long as I mostly listen to good old redbook CD's.
Cheers from Norway :D

Reactions: richard_crl032

Rob181

Oct 1, 2014
Hi woodrand,

Using the gaia for sure is possible as with any digital source but no i2s output of Jay's and no direct sync to superior ocxo clock in the T+ in additional to various digital conversions.

Cheers.

Richard

Hi Richard

What i2s cables are you using & are you using HDMI or RJ 45 connectors

Thanks

Rob

Abyss Man

Jun 17, 2019
Terminator Plus on it's way to replace Terminator! Will be here on Monday if DHL is on track. Really looking forward to it.
View attachment 68015
View attachment 68014
Tighten your safety belts cause you are going to be blown away at the amount of detail retrieval and musicality. Do give it about a week or so, more the merrier. Nice setup btw Woodrand. Enjoy the music and congratulations on a very sound decision. Pun intended. LOL.

Last edited:

woodrand

Apr 3, 2017
Tighten your safety belts cause you are going to be blown away at the amount of detail retrieval and musicality. Do give it about a week or so, more the merrier. Nice setup btw Woodrand. Enjoy the music and congratulations on a very sound decision. Pun intended. LOL.
I'll make sure to buckle up, Abyss Man! I bet the Terminator Plus will make the Eggleston's sing better than ever :D

richard_crl032

Sep 10, 2019
Singapore
Hi Richard

What i2s cables are you using & are you using HDMI or RJ 45 connectors

Thanks

Rob

Hi Rob,

I am using cheap chinese ofc rj45 i2s cable from Avator to T+ which compares favorably to the on-loan Argentus hdmi i2s .. this is easy AB by switching inputs on the T+ in between and during various music types and familiar songs in my system .. ymmv as usual due to system dependence, preference and past experience.

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/40005...a27850ad0b77e&templateKey=white_backgroup_101

For the hdmi i2 cable from gaia to Terminator+, I got my friend to get the Argentus with 10% discount for returning customer as it is clearly better than my Pangea with cardas copper which will be replaced.

I am always trying to stay within 20% guideline for cabling in my system and rather spend on new equipment and technology like this i2s, ocxo clock, single synced master clock etc.

Cheers.

Richard

Screenshot_20200729-121341_AliExpress.jpg

richard_crl032

Sep 10, 2019
Singapore
Last edited:

woodrand

Apr 3, 2017
How to start... Just out of the box Terminator Plus plays amazing. It keeps throwing out sparks in the upper midrange and treble. Details and musicality I have never heard from any digital source at my place. And I have tried several premium dacs here. I will write more later. It's warm outside, but I just can't stop listening.

Nanobenito

Feb 5, 2020
Hola a todos. Quiero preguntar si alguien me puede ayudar sobre la compatibilidad y mejora que puede hacer un Denafrips DDC Gaia, del que me ha interesado mucho, con un DAC, Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2se y me gustaría conocer las posibilidades de mejora que me puede ofrecer. Independientemente de que mi próximo paso sea la adquisición de TERMINATOR Plus, que me encanta, no puedo pagarlo en este momento. Con un esfuerzo ahora podría asumir la compra del Gaia, siempre que alguien me pueda informar sobre la idoneidad de mi Dac con el DDC Gaia a través del formato I2S, porque creo que sería la mejor conexión. Para mejor información les diré que escucho la música a través de un Macmini (adaptado con Uptone) y también tengo Iso Regen a través de USB, que es como lo uso normalmente, todo a través de la interfaz Audirvana. La idea sería llevar Gaia a través de USB y luego con I2S al Dac. Esto sé que con TP sería una buena mejora, también lo es en mi caso. Gracias

Abyss Man

Jun 17, 2019
Hola a todos. Quiero preguntar si alguien me puede ayudar sobre la compatibilidad y mejora que puede hacer un Denafrips DDC Gaia, del que me ha interesado mucho, con un DAC, Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2se y me gustaría conocer las posibilidades de mejora que me puede ofrecer. Independientemente de que mi próximo paso sea la adquisición de TERMINATOR Plus, que me encanta, no puedo pagarlo en este momento. Con un esfuerzo ahora podría asumir la compra del Gaia, siempre que alguien me pueda informar sobre la idoneidad de mi Dac con el DDC Gaia a través del formato I2S, porque creo que sería la mejor conexión. Para mejor información les diré que escucho la música a través de un Macmini (adaptado con Uptone) y también tengo Iso Regen a través de USB, que es como lo uso normalmente, todo a través de la interfaz Audirvana. La idea sería llevar Gaia a través de USB y luego con I2S al Dac. Esto sé que con TP sería una buena mejora, también lo es en mi caso. Gracias
English please.

Abyss Man

Jun 17, 2019
How to start... Just out of the box Terminator Plus plays amazing. It keeps throwing out sparks in the upper midrange and treble. Details and musicality I have never heard from any digital source at my place. And I have tried several premium dacs here. I will write more later. It's warm outside, but I just can't stop listening.

Would you care to share what other DACs you had and ur impressions compared to the TP? Thank you Woodrand.

richard_crl032

Sep 10, 2019
Singapore
Hi all. I want to ask if someone can help me about the compatibility and improvement that a Denafrips DDC Gaia, which I have been very interested in, can do with a DAC, Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2se and I would like to know the possibilities of improvement that it can offer me. Regardless of my next step being the acquisition of TERMINATOR Plus, which I love, I cannot afford it right now. With an effort now I could assume the purchase of the Gaia, provided someone can inform me about the suitability of my Dac with the DDC Gaia through the I2S format, because I think that would be the best connection. For better information I will tell you that I listen to the music through a Macmini (adapted with Uptone) and I also have Iso Regen through USB, which is how I normally use it, all through the Audirvana interface. The idea would be to bring Gaia via USB and then with I2S to Dac. This I know that with TP would be a good improvement, it is also in my case. Thank you

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing