AdamZ

Mar 23, 2017
Germanny
Quite impressive that video above. Some romance is missing in that industrial robotic world ...
And from 4:44 with the two humans being turned upside down and around; headache and stomachache. They need to cut down on noise too.
Romance? OK. Take this!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Good reply (robotic romance). I've seen that video before; I like Björk.
_____

The tangential linear scanning tracking arm from Rainer merits serious listening.
I think few members here should take the plunge and expand their ultra high-end audiophile pedigree. What is there to lose; absolutely nothing, just the exact opposite.

* Rainer, is there a warranty?

AdamZ

Mar 23, 2017
Germanny
Maybe it is also possible to scan the groove with a laser. For people who want to continue using their Black Gold.
In 2019 I always miss a bit of innovative imagination when it comes to playing vinyl records.
The only constant in this scenario is the record. Everything else could be rethought.
But instead, people are always tinkering with the record player.
Sure, at a high level.
But is that the way? (pretty) mechanical Vynil SUVs?

Derainer

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
Apr 23, 2011
Germany
www.dereneville.de
Some people, like you, call it tinkering - because they don't understand the work behind it.
But whatever, it's always like that. Everything that is new is always smiled at first. I can live with it.

@Bob: but of course there is a warranty, like on any other high-end product. Our products are put through their paces.
I don't ever want to see any of my tonearms again. ;) They should run perfectly. And they always do.

AdamZ

Mar 23, 2017
Germanny
Some people, like you, call it tinkering - because they don't understand the work behind it.
But whatever, it's always like that. Everything that is new is always smiled at first. I can live with it.

@Bob: but of course there is a warranty, like on any other high-end product. Our products are put through their paces.
I don't ever want to see any of my tonearms again. ;) They should run perfectly. And they always do.

That may be true. Since I myself have learned mechanics, I am well aware of the challenge. But I am missing something access to the effort involved in relation to the result.
Or is it more about the player than such. Relatively independent of the progress achieved compared to existing systems.
Then I could almost understand it again.

Derainer

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
Apr 23, 2011
Germany
www.dereneville.de
Never before has there been such a precise tonearm to get all the information out of the grooves.
99.9% of the action is the same as the cutting machine used to cut the lacquer film or copper matrix.
And the result is overwhelming.
It's like in automobile racing, the Formula 1 - the effort to be even a little faster is enormous.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
When I buy a brand new car it comes with a warranty.
I only asked about a warranty for people who don't understand the science behind the mechanical performance. ...Like a peace of mind for the cost some mentioned before.
I also found it funny that some people think $30,000 is expensive for a sota arm when their cart cost the same and their TT cost three to six times more. I won't even mention a pair of speaker wires (3 meters) for $30,000 (same as your linear tracking/scanning arm).

The question was simply to appease some "spirits". Of course I knew that with any state-of-the-art ultra hi-fi audio piece of electronics is like buying a Ferrari or Lamborghini with a warranty.

I'm still waiting to see the first ten members here who will test drive your arm and hear for themselves what it is to be on top of the actuality in the world of hi-end "grooving".
Like you said well; when they were cutting those records they weren't using Mickey mouse arms packed with tracking faults, and everything that come with it...from the outward to the inner grooves, the lesser lows, and the myriad of ritual adjustments for each record.

They will never know what they are missing in hi-end audiophile life without investing in the science of quantum mechanics.

I must admit that I'm surprised to see some big shots like Michael Fremer, Steve Williams, Mike Lavigne, David, Tango, Francisco, Marc, Peter, Myles, ...etc. not with the program yet.
...Analog Planet, WBF, Stereophile, AudioNivana, Audiogon, VinylEngine, QuantumPhysics, ...all that John Coltrane jazz & Frédéric François Chopin classical.

If the aim of high-end audio is to be @ the edge of what can be the best, what are they waiting for; procrastinate for another century?

I'm saying it like it is, uncensored and truer than life.
It's not what we believe in it's what we do with it, what comes out of the loudspeakers from them "sillons" (grooves). The best we can capture what's in them, between their walls, deep in the trenches, and with the greatest accuracy ... the closer we are to what was today.

This is no poetry, this is Sion.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I like that; easy to please quantum people ... how great.
The term quantum also means the minimum value of a physical property involved in an interaction.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Well, I was a bit imprecise - laser is of course based on quantum phenomena. So yes, there is some quantum mechancs involved here :)

Cheers,

I suspect that there are also many semiconductors in the complex control system of this tonearm ... :)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Would that be a sacrilege? ...Or a dent in their bank account.

Yes, Bob, my desire for the Derenville is only blocked by too many recent expenses in audio. There is something fundamentally correct in this tonearm. As Reiner wrote " 99.9% of the action is the same as the cutting machine used to cut the lacquer film or copper matrix. " What else should we need?

My only escape is that the Derenville does not fit the Airforce One ... ;)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Revisiting the first three posts of this thread it's inevitable that any serious analog spinner would do anything to make a bank withdraw. Or if funds are inefficient @ this time just skip the Christmas presents to the wife and kids this year. :)
Tell them it's been a tough hurricane's season.

I'll be very happy when the first WBF member would take the plunge.
I bet we'll see a chain reaction soon afterwards ...
It might well be the beginning of a beautiful audiophile evolution.

Reactions: Derainer

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Francisco, Air Force One and Dereneville tracking arm were made for each other ... un lune de miel sur une plage aphrodisiaque. :cool:
Yes. If there is a will, I think Rainer can fabricate a mounting to attach to the back right around that piece of brass in the picture.

CF835FA1-ADD0-4A59-ADEE-9DA59967B663.jpeg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing