Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
This is an unfair question because it asks you to have knowledge of a competing product, but I can’t help but be curious if your laser guided mechanism is conceptually similar to the laser guided mechanism of the Reed 5T I liked at audioquattr’s house.

At audioquattr’s house when a sunbeam shot through the blinds at precisely the right (ah, the wrong) angle the light blinded the optical sensor on the Reed 5T and the cartridge rocketed off the LP like a cat accidentally dipping its tail in hot water! Can your laser or optical sensor mechanism be blinded and disrupted in the same or in any similar way?

The experience was sufficiently disturbing to audioquattr that I think it soured him on the tonearm (and we both loved how the Grado Epoch sounded on that Reed 5T).

Derainer

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
Apr 23, 2011
Germany
www.dereneville.de
Hi, Ron,

thanks for the question - it's not unfair - I can reassure you, audioquattr and everyone here.
Our laser scanning system is totally different from Reed's. What you're describing can't happen here.
These two tonearm systems are not comparable.

I would like to invite you and others to come to my place to listen to the tone arm. You'd be delighted.
Maybe the upcoming High End in Munich would be a good idea to make a short trip to my place.

A flight from Munich to Paderborn takes only one hour. From the airport to me it is 15 minutes.
I could pick you up there.

Thanks Rainer

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you for explaining.

I have a better idea. I think audioquattr should purchase your tonearm, and you can install it on his Air Force III Premium! :cool:

AdamZ

Mar 23, 2017
Germanny
Hi dear friends,

for the new year 2020 I have a little eye candy for you. ;)

My linear tracking tonearm Dereneville DTT-05 is on test at a German high end magazine.
As luck would have it, it also fits perfectly on the Air Force III

View attachment 60348

When the test is completed, I will provide an English translation here.

All the best to you for 2020 :)
Stay healthy, everybody

Rainer
Hallo Rainer.
Dir auch alles Gute für 2020.
Und ich denke, es gibt hier viele Leser die der deutschen Sprache mächtig sind. Also, nicht zu viele Umstände. ;)

Reactions: Derainer

f1eng

Jul 24, 2014
Oxfordshire
Hi dear friends,

for the new year 2020 I have a little eye candy for you. ;)

My linear tracking tonearm Dereneville DTT-05 is on test at a German high end magazine.
As luck would have it, it also fits perfectly on the Air Force III

View attachment 60348

When the test is completed, I will provide an English translation here.

All the best to you for 2020 :)
Stay healthy, everybody

Rainer
Fabulous. That makes my Goldmund T3f look very old-fashioned, which it is, of course :)

f1eng

Jul 24, 2014
Oxfordshire
At audioquattr’s house when a sunbeam shot through the blinds at precisely the right (ah, the wrong) angle the light blinded the optical sensor on the Reed 5T and the cartridge rocketed off the LP like a cat accidentally dipping its tail in hot water!
I discovered my Goldmund T3f did this too to my horror. It uses an LED system, I expect a laser system in many times brighter so less likely to respond to a bit of sunlight though. I keep the appropriate blinds closed now on sunny days.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Derainer

Apr 23, 2011
Germany
www.dereneville.de
Hi folks,

Maybe this is the time to write something about our laser system once again.
It is a distance-measuring laser. It detects deviations of less than 5 µ = 5 microns.
It is absolutely insensitive to ambient light.

In addition, it is placed in the housing so that no stray light can reach it.
This laser measures the 90° angle of the tonearm 100 times per second
and transmits these measured values 100 times per second to the electronic control.

An intelligent controller is integrated in this electronic control.
A specially developed algorithm controls the tonearm permanently.
This ensures that the 90° angle is correct at all times.
This high precision linear tracking is still unique in the world today.

Cheers Rainer

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

airbearing

May 2, 2012
Munich - Germany
Congrats Rainer for the excellent test with your new arm, the Tribute table (similar to MS 5000) and your motor design In the new Lp by Rainer Barske.
The ringing of the platter is well known because of the brass platter (also at the original MS). I therefore went for a non ringing design of a 22 kg steel platter, made in the US.
As it might be a perfect combination the looks of the test combo needs a bit getting used to.
i propose using a steel platter and putting motor and table on a separate united platform.
Nevertheless when it comes to building an excellent combination the looks are not so important!
what about your electronics, it is the heart of the tonearm I read. Guarentee is how long on it?

best
airbearing

E9A71386-3EC8-439B-8257-190BFD72319D.jpeg

Derainer

Apr 23, 2011
Germany
www.dereneville.de
Hello, E. Airbearing,

Thank you for pointing that out.

To your question: our electronics are developed to the highest automotive standards.
Also our solid software tools come from the automotive industry.
So our warranty is not limited. Electronics are not defective because there is no wear and tear.

It works from minus 40 to plus 60 degrees Celsius. So under normal conditions it will not fail.
If a new PCB has a fault, it will fail immediately and will not be installed at all.

P1150724-komp.JPG

We test everything more than 48 hours in continuous operation. After that we can be sure
that everything works to the best satisfaction.

Thanks again,
Rainer

BillWojo

Jun 11, 2015
Burlington, NJ
I'm sure it will deal with it like any good linear tracking table and the arm will follow the groove. Doesn't matter if the groove goes left or right under the stylus, the arm will go slightly out of tangent and the motor will track it back into tangent all in real time. Kind of fun to watch. My Yamaha PX-3 corrects when the arm is 0.15 degree out of tangent either left or right. The Dereneville arm tracks even closer.
If you have never owned a linear tracking table they can be found fairly cheap. Pick one up and have some fun with it. The better ones do get a bit pricey.

BillWojo

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

Derainer

Apr 23, 2011
Germany
www.dereneville.de
New tonearm base for TechThe Air Force Two

Here I present a new tone arm base for a TechDas Air Force Two.
It's a custom-built for a very special customer.

Tonarmbasis AirForce II.PNG

TechDas had expressed its doubts and concerns in advance.
We have now proven that it can be done.

The milling work is already finished, and everything fits like a glove.
In two weeks another new Dereneville DTT-05 will be launched again.

Then I will also present pictures of it.

A happy Easter to all of you
Rainer

Last edited:

Derainer

Apr 23, 2011
Germany
www.dereneville.de
Well, I promised you some pictures. Here they are.
Making the special tonearm base was a little tricky. But as always, the work leads the way.
Here are some pictures of the milling work.

Thus, 2.6 kg of aluminum was turned into a 400 gram arm base

001-Fräsarbeiten.jpg

Then the surface was than nickel and chrome plated.
So everything fits together very nice.

002-komplette Halterung.jpg

And here now the picture of the German - Japanese "wedding"

Everything fits perfectly because there are enough possibilities to calibrate everything to 100%.
The sound result has fully met the expectations of the customer.
All in all he was very happy and said: this is his early Christmas present.

003-AirForce II mit DTT-05.jpg

I wish you all here continued happiness and health
please take care of yourselves.

Rainer

Derainer

Apr 23, 2011
Germany
www.dereneville.de
Thank you, thank you very much.
Dank u wel, heel erg bedankt.
als je meer geïnteresseerd bent, schrijf me dan alsjeblieft

Rainer

Derainer

Apr 23, 2011
Germany
www.dereneville.de
Here I would like to present you a few more pictures of the assembly.
I think the pictures speak for themselves.

IMG_6197.JPG

IMG_6198.JPG

IMG_6199.JPG

IMG_6203.JPG

IMG_6205.JPG

IMG_6208.JPG
An important tool which I have developed myself.
Special adjustment stencil with a line laser. This is aligned exactly to the center axis.

IMG_6210.JPG

IMG_6222.JPG

Thank you for your attention
Rainer

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing