Desktop PC noise interferring with desktop, near-field audio experiences

Ben_Herrmann

Mar 6, 2022
Hello all:

I've been battling a scenario now that has been plaguing me now for a good year. Now, please bear with me as I attempt to logically explain my situation.

1. I've been an audiophile for over 55 years now, but recently, those experiences have been relegated to my PC desktop enviroment. My desktop system consists of a set of KEF Q150 bookshelf speakers, along with a set of Wharfedale D320 bookshelf models - with a Mackie 8" powered subwoofer under the desk. Amplification involves a Cambridge Integrated Amplifier. I have other amps and periodically switch them out since the KEF's are ridiculous good at showcasing differences among amplifiers. All of my components - amps, DAC's, etc., are also plugged into Furman Line Conditioners. My DAC units (USB connected) also have the iFi USB Line conditioner attached. And only higher-end cables are used (speaker, RCA, and USB) from Audioquest and Blue Jeans Cables).

2. My problem is an ongoing, low-level buzz that emanates from my speakers - seemingly, more so, from my right speaker. It's low level enough that it can drive you nuts at times - and is easily discernible from the residual noise from the PC fans, etc. So in an attempt to isolate and eliminate this noise, I did the following:

a. Tried a half dozen different amps - all with the same issue - so the amps aren't the problem.

b. Connected all gear to Furman Powerline Conditioners and the USB end of things to iFi USB line conditioners - still the same buzz issue remained.

c. Separated all the power cords from various components to ensure they did not intermingle with various connecting cables - all to no avail.

3. But then I noticed that whenever I perform PC functions - such as moving the mouse, or using the center wheel on the mouse to control volume, etc., the buzz amplifies. This tells me that this PC noise is emanating from the PC itself. By the way, the PC is also plugged into a powerline conditioner. Even when using the center wheel on the mouse to cursor down pages on the internet, the buzzing is more pronounced.

Recently, I read a few short articles on "silent PC's" and was curious if any of you had heard about these types of computers. I was wondering if the "silent" they are referring to only involves the use of quieter fans? This obviously, in my case, would not be enough because this low level buzzing results from the PC - I'm almost positive of this. In fact, when I put the PC to sleep or turn the PC off, the buzzing stops from my gear.

Can anybody - using speculation or having had similar experiences such as this - shed some light on some of my possible solutions here?

Thank you so much in advance for anything you can throw my way.

Ben

cpcat

Jun 20, 2016
South Carolina
Does the hum go away when you unplug the USB cable from the PC?

I had a similar prob and it was ground loop noise arising from the PC ground over USB.

If so then an Intona USB isolator or similar might do the trick.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing