Destination Audio Vista Loudspeaker

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Here’s the link to the thread:

(Not sure why I cannot upload even a 900KB image anymore…)

I’m a “nobody”; what qualifies me to think this is a great design (tweeter in the center, time and phase alignment), field coil midrange and bass units…
Is from a decade of research, starting with the Oswald’s Mill Audio “Tastings”, where Weiss would invite DIY audio hobbyists to share their components and designs. While I don’t care much for Weiss, gathering the leading experts in audio by wining and dining them and encouraging them to share ideas resulted in some exceptional knowledge sharing. You can read more about this and see photos by using the Wayback Machine. Not surprisingly, when he started OMA, he deleted these postings, as most of the community ideas made it into OMA’s products.

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Here’s the link to the thread:

(Not sure why I cannot upload even a 900KB image anymore…)

I’m a nobody. What qualifies me to think this is a great design (tweeter in the center, time and phase alignment), field coil midrange and bass units…
Is from a decade of research, starting with the Oswald’s Mill Audio “Tastings”, where Weiss would invite DIY audio hobbyists to share their components and designs.
Thank you! Interesting reading. I also note you were considering the XVX at one point. As an owner of the XLF who has heard the XVX with my electronics (though not in our room) curious what you think of the XVX vs your own direction of all-out-assault horns?

Reactions: Zeotrope

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Thank you! Interesting reading. I also note you were considering the XVX at one point. As an owner of the XLF who has heard the XVX with my electronics (though not in our room) curious what you think of the XVX vs your own direction of all-out-assault horns?
Thanks. I only briefly heard the XVX at a dealer in DC. The streamer and DAC weren’t the best and the room could have been quieter. But, they were very impressive. I would say the midrange from my RCA1443 in conical horns is better than the XVX’s midrange: tonality, texture, dynamics, and overall sounded more “real”. Otherwise, the XVX were better in every other way.
If I build a second room one day, the XVX would be on my short-list, as would these Vistas.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks. I only briefly heard the XVX at a dealer in DC. The streamer and DAC weren’t the best and the room could have been quieter. But, they were very impressive. I would say the midrange from my RCA1443 in conical horns is better than the XVX’s midrange: tonality, texture, dynamics, and overall sounded more “real”. Otherwise, the XVX were better in every other way.
If I build a second room one day, the XVX would be on my short-list, as would these Vistas.
Thanks...helpful to know.

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Interesting...would like the hear the Vistas. Having heard the AG Trios recently, they are the first horns that impressed me enough to keep them in mind. Have enjoyed reading about the Vistas here and on Dagogo.
Not sure if you are in Europe or the US? There are currently two pairs of Vista's with DA amplification in the US, one in the Carolina's and the other in Texas. I also believe Lukas Fikus of Lampizator has a pair in his home in Poland. If you make the effort to hear them, given your experience with the Trio's I can assure you will not be disappointed. To my ear they do things when powered by Sam's 45 tube amplifiers that no other speakers can. Good luck and do keep us posted.

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Not sure if you are in Europe or the US? There are currently two pairs of Vista's with DA amplification in the US, one in the Carolina's and the other in Texas. I also believe Lukas Fikus of Lampizator has a pair in his home in Poland. If you make the effort to hear them, given your experience with the Trio's I can assure you will not be disappointed. To my ear they do things when powered by Sam's 45 tube amplifiers that no other speakers can. Good luck and do keep us posted.
PS. Should you wish to arrange a listen Sam's email is destinationaudio@gmail.com

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thank you! Quite a flying distance in any direction. I have emailed Sam.

Last edited:

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Thank you! Quite a flying distance in any direction. I have emailed Sam.
Wonderful. I have listened to the Vista's extensively and spoken to Sam for hours about their design. You will enjoy speaking to him!

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Rene, the head of Nagra’s sales and marketing and Fabio (Alma) both said it’s the first horn they have ever heard without any colouration.
Might these Nagra horn afficionadi provide a few examples of these “coloured” horns of which they speak ?
Have any other forum members heard your own horns that we might hear an independent summery of their own considerations of your DIY horns ?

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Wonderful. I have listened to the Vista's extensively and spoken to Sam for hours about their design. You will enjoy speaking to him!
Great!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing