Dialing in my Alexia V loudspeakers, a video with Peter McGrath

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
We are sharing the Alexia V setup that Peter did at my house. Please subscribe to our YouTube channel as much more content is coming soon, thanks!

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
after hearing yours these V are next level stuff. really great music

Reactions: Lee

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Great movie Lee. Peter is always a an interesting fellow and the short story at the end of the movie is really delightful. I now have had a great times with him, but always remember when long ago I carried my one of my favorite test recordings, the Janet See Vivaldi flute concertos to an Wilson demo and explained to Peter what I has looking for in the reproduction of recording. We talked about it, and in the end he added - Well you know, I was the sound engineer in this recording ! In fact it was there in the small print, I had never noticed before.

Looking to read about your fist times with the Alexia V!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Great movie Lee. Peter is always a an interesting fellow and the short story at the end of the movie is really delightful. I now have had a great times with him, but always remember when long ago I carried my one of my favorite test recordings, the Janet See Vivaldi flute concertos to an Wilson demo and explained to Peter what I has looking for in the reproduction of recording. We talked about it, and in the end he added - Well you know, I was the sound engineer in this recording ! In fact it was there in the small print, I had never noticed before.

Cool story! So did what you expected to hear from the recording match what Peter said he actually heard in the room and in the mastering room?

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Very nice production Lee. Peter is such an articulate spokesman for Wilson. John Giloas did my setups - now with DCS, he is missed.

Spikes on brass on furniture movers - been there, I had to smile at that.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Very nice production Lee. Peter is such an articulate spokesman for Wilson. John Giloas did my setups - now with DCS, he is missed.

Spikes on brass on furniture movers - been there, I had to smile at that.
The movers were graciously provided by Jim Smith.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

I know this CD well. I bought it when I lived in NYC in the 90s. Wonderful recording.

We are almost done filming my Alexia V review. We are trying to include the actual production footage of this pair as well. It's really been a wonderful experience.

Reactions: tima

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I know this CD well. I bought it when I lived in NYC in the 90s. Wonderful recording.

We are almost done filming my Alexia V review. We are trying to include the actual production footage of this pair as well. It's really been a wonderful experience.

Don't forget to listen to Peter McGrath latest (as far as I know) sound engineered recording "To Brahms, With Love - From the Cello of Pablo Casals" Amit Peled & Noreen Polera (also available on Qobuz)

A very nice balance between the cello and the piano, sounding very natural without artificial emphasis of the instruments.

a1.jpg

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Don't forget to listen to Peter McGrath latest (as far as I know) sound engineered recording "To Brahms, With Love - From the Cello of Pablo Casals" Amit Peled & Noreen Polera (also available on Qobuz)

A very nice balance between the cello and the piano, sounding very natural without artificial emphasis of the instruments.

View attachment 99581
I have to pick this up!

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013
Hello Lee, great video. Many thanks for sharing. What happened to your DCS Rossini video? Was really looking forward to it.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Hello Lee, great video. Many thanks for sharing. What happened to your DCS Rossini video? Was really looking forward to it.

It is almost done. A bit behind but coming very soon. I appreciate your patience. A slew of factory visits has the creation and editing process moving a little slower than ideal.

Reactions: ashandger

HenryD

Aug 29, 2020
And the Magico M9 session please, we are still waiting for that as well :)

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013
It is almost done. A bit behind but coming very soon. I appreciate your patience. A slew of factory visits has the creation and editing process moving a little slower than ideal.
Great! Really looking forward to it. I just posted a comment on your wonderful Alexia V video.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
These videos are always very carefully made. I would have really enjoyed seeing more of the actual process. Peter refers to the tape grid lines on the floor, why not show that in the video? Why not play the song to which he refers for the set up in a before and after demonstration of the effectiveness of the WASP procedure? Some frames of the system and speaker location in the room would have been nice too. He can keep some of the details secret so the end user can not do this on his own and must rely on the dealer for set up, but the video content would have been much more interesting to watch with more that just an interview narrative from the listening seat. Such videos have so much potential. IMO, it was not realized here. This video could have easily been made in the Wilson factory conference room.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
These videos are always very carefully made. I would have really enjoyed seeing more of the actual process. Peter refers to the tape grid lines on the floor, why not show that in the video? Why not play the song to which he refers for the set up in a before and after demonstration of the effectiveness of the WASP procedure? Some frames of the system and speaker location in the room would have been nice too. He can keep some of the details secret so the end user can not do this on his own and must rely on the dealer for set up, but the video content would have been much more interesting to watch with more that just an interview narrative from the listening seat. Such videos have so much potential. IMO, it was not realized here. This video could have easily been made in the Wilson factory conference room.
Noted. Some of the setup will be forthcoming in video we have or are going to shoot with Jim Smith. Stay tuned.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
And the Magico M9 session please, we are still waiting for that as well :)
If that doesn't get done soon, Alon will not be happy. ;)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Peter,

The info you are requesting has been shown elsewhere - there are tens of articles and videos about the WASP. As far as I know none of the details of the WASP are secret. In case you want to carry it in your listening room using LPs, David WIlson used his recording Ragtime Razzmatazz vol. 1 to carry the optimization in WASP in the old days - I have used it with the Wilson Watt/Puppy system V . However IMO the currently used CD recording is much easier to use and more reliable.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Peter,

The info you are requesting has been shown elsewhere - there are tens of articles and videos about the WASP. As far as I know none of the details of the WASP are secret. In case you want to carry it in your listening room using LPs, David WIlson used his recording Ragtime Razzmatazz vol. 1 to carry the optimization in WASP in the old days - I have used it with the Wilson Watt/Puppy system V . However IMO the currently used CD recording is much easier to use and more reliable.

Francisco, did you learn anything from the video? What was the purpose of the video if not to explain the set up procedure for the new Alexia V speaker? I see it in this very thread title.

If it’s been done many many times in the past and everyone knows it, why was this video even made? Do you not think the video would have been more interesting if it utilized some of the suggestions I made in my post?

Could you please share a link to a video where Peter McGrath records a system and then uses the WASP procedure to improve the sound and then records it again? Why not show just one image of the speakers in place in the room context about which he is basing his video? It seems like a huge missed opportunity to make something that is interesting to watch.

Last edited:
Reactions: bonzo75 and tima

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing