Diana Krall: Wallflower

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
You obviously never been to a S'nora Jones concert.

we probably need jazdoc to do a list of great female vocalist live performers, he seems to be pretty up to speed on that for some reason.....i'm sure just doing the hard research for the rest of us. ;)

my media storage is populated by many of his recs.

Skylab

May 14, 2016
Chicagoland
Holly Cole was fabulous live in the early 2000’s...no clue how she would be now though.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Of course; but Wallflower (Diana Krall) is what Ron's thread main topic...the quality recording through Spotify (digital web music). He's right because it sounds too commercial, nothing close to audiophile music recording.
I listened to most of the songs on Spotify, and Krall’s performance style on this album seems subdued and kind of boring and lethargic.

The artist, Diana and her regular band from her better albums we've all been through there as I can see very clear now. And since we have evolved tremendously. We are in a much higher spiritual music listening level today, with artists who have a much deeper impact emotionally and evolutionary.

But the facts still remain; Diana Krall is an easy listening (smooth) jazz singer and jazz piano player, and some of the albums I mentioned yesterday have decent acoustic bass sound recording, guitar and piano and vocals.

Of course Diana is not Ella or Sarah or Eva or Norah or Patricia or Holly or Jacintha or Astrud or Nancy or Billie or Natalie or Cassandra or Etta or Sade or ... she is Diana Krall, a smooth jazz operator...singer in addition to piano player. But we are way more advanced than that now.
Wallflower is car music radio, IMO, not serious audiophile analog music recording for the home of the brave and the free. It's not my favorite album of hers, because I prefer her own small jazz band and her own comfort zone @ the piano.

Last edited:

WeatherB

Mar 18, 2017
Nashville
We saw Diana Krall in concert four years ago, at the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville. She just didn't get into entertaining her audience. Stilted performance. She's not comfortable on stage.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Diana is the worlds best lounge singer. I find the phrase" once more with feeling" most apropos of her work. She does a great job with the classics which are well recorded.

Oh yeah. Does anyone know if she has a recording of her own original work?

Skylab

May 14, 2016
Chicagoland
Diana is the worlds best lounge singer. I find the phrase" once more with feeling" most apropos of her work. She does a great job with the classics which are well recorded.

Oh yeah. Does anyone know if she has a recording of her own original work?

Quite a bit of “The Girl In The Othet Room” are Krall originals.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
It's funny how we are all so different. I would never listen to DK after wearing it out 10 years ago, I could not stand to hear anything from her. Then I heard Wallflower when it came out and I love the album. It's the only DK album that I can listen to and enjoy it whenever I do. I'm much more into Kasey Musgraves, but I like Wallflower.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
I have seen DK perform live over 10 times at various sized venues. The first was at the long gone jazz club in Philly, Zanzibar Blue in the 90’s, to outdoor summer venues like the Mann Music Center. Some nights she is on from the outset, some nights it takes her a couple of tunes to warm up, some nights longer. I met her once before she became famous. She was lovely but very shy and I always wondered if that was a factor in her performances. Her earlier albums are her best. Wallflower was a bad album and when she toured after its release, the cuts from that album were not well received by the audiences. Live in Paris is excellent. The DVD is superb. The singing in her last couple of releases has declined. She never had much range but she used the range she had well. Now her mouth always sounds too dry when she sings, like she has a mouth full of cotton balls. I don’t have a clue why. Maybe I should just blame it on Elvis Costello. Her singing has not been as good since she married him.:)

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I saw DK at Chateau Ste. Michelle in '01. That's 18yr. ago!! I'm with Joe. What happened... maybe Elvis is to blame??

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing