Did anyone ever see the Blue Pearl JEM Turntable?

m4martin

Mar 10, 2019
Hi Martin

Welcome to WBF

How many in fact did you produce? Are they still in production

Hi Steve,
It’s a pleasure to talk with you.

This is a slightly difficult question to answer accurately. Prior to the formation of Blue Pearl Audio as a separate company, I was working for my family’s precision engineering business. Whilst working for the family business, I made several parts for turntables and tonearms for friends, for my own personal interests in HI-FI. Our family business made essentially two turntables which lead to the final development of the Blue Pearl JEM Turntable and hence the formation of Blue Pearl Audio as a company. Blue Pearl Audio produced the model that was used for the reviews and shows, then two for customers. The most recent of which had strobe markings drilled into the platter, and a massive amount of development to the motor electronics and motor pulley and housing. The motor used within, remained the same.
The Blue Pearl JEM Turntable was never “in production” in the conventional sense. It’s a product that is made individually to order. Every part has full technical drawings issued. So it can be duplicated accurately. The last one I made had two Tonearms, as requested by the client. It’s such a unique and individual product, i expect to tailor it to whatever a customer wishes providing it retains the majority of original DNA. If a customer departs significantly from the JEM Turntable, the resulting product will deserve to be granted a new identity from Blue Pearl Audio. I think I’ve answered you accurately.

m4martin

Mar 10, 2019
There was a lot of Rockport - Roy Gregory politics behind that review, so I wouldn't go by it.

I believe I heard the truth about Roy Gregory and Rockport. With what I heard, (which I will not repeat). In my opinion neither Rockport nor Roy Gregory were at fault in any way whatsoever. In my opinion both parties are to be wholly admired and applauded for their contributions to the world of Hi End Audio.
I’ve always regarded Andy Payors Rockport Sirius as an exquisite example of Audio Equipment, and in many regards it’s a masterpiece of engineering. Also at no point have I ever been treated by Roy with anything but a completely impartial and professional approach as a reviewer. In fact his reviews and opinions were kept completely secret from me until his final draft was released to print. If there were ever any political influences I don’t believe the blame should be laid at the feet of either Roy or Rockport. However, a third party may have acted improperly is how ill leave it.

m4martin

Mar 10, 2019
Hi Martin

Welcome to WBF

How many in fact did you produce? Are they still in production

Steve, sorry forgot to answer your second question.
If someone wants a turntable I still have all the drawings, and I’m sure it can be made to order.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I will say, if you have produced fewer than a handful of these...it is a testament to how good it must be that so many people know about it. Even I know about it, and i am not a TT guy at all!

m4martin

Mar 10, 2019
I will say, if you have produced fewer than a handful of these...it is a testament to how good it must be that so many people know about it. Even I know about it, and i am not a TT guy at all!

Thanks!
It was just an attempt from a reasonably competent engineer to build something to the very best of his abilities with absolutely no intention of releasing it onto the open market.
In practice, it was to others, extreme and therefore interesting to see. To me as the project gathered momentum it inspired others to join in and help with the project. For example I had a retired draughtsman log over 470 hours at his drawing board, producing drawings and calculations in conjunction with me making it on the machinery in my workshop. I would have let down so many people had I not finished the product, that failing was not an option. It was an amazing experience and a testament to all the people involved. Many doors were opened by many people, all wishing it success. Without those people you wouldn’t know about it. I was totally unknown to this industry until the likes of Roy Gregory endorsed the product. I’m honoured, thanks to Mr Gregory ! I consider myself very privileged, and lucky with what we all achieved with it.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Are you contemplating bringing it back even on a special order basis?

m4martin

Mar 10, 2019
Are you contemplating bringing it back

Great question.
In my experience, I never met a dealer that didn’t expect to double their money on buying one, and everyone that I sold one to claimed they would represent it and sell on my behalf. I never received my real costs of making them. I’m talking in the singular, but my dad was always involved, so strictly it was “we” at Blue Pearl Audio.
That said, id really like one of my own someday and unless we sell some that actually make a profit, I can’t see me owning my own.
We made one for a client in the Netherlands which I am envious of, as to me it was the best one we ever made.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Hi Martin, that client in Netherlands would be audiocrack on this forum. PM him.

m4martin

Mar 10, 2019
Hi Martin, that client in Netherlands would be audiocrack on this forum. PM him.

I don’t know if he still has his JEM Turntable. Unfortunately we had a problem with his turntable. To be precise, he had a very high end and sensitive system at that time. When the turntable was installed in his system we discovered some electrical interference from our motor electronics. It had never been detected before, so when it occurred we referred the client directly to our electronics designer. According to our designer, he received the controller board, he made some minor alterations to the internal filters and returned it to the customer. Neither of us heard anything since so assumed it was rectified. For several reasons after that time, we could not continue. Suffice to say, life got complicated. With respect for the client, I hope he had many many enjoyable years with his JEM Turntable.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
He still has it

m4martin

Mar 10, 2019
He still has it

Great, I really hope he loves it !
He should know more about its potential to play music than the rest of us.
Assuming he has access to partnering equipment.
I know if I ever had the money I’d be happy to buy it back from him. In the systems I’ve had the privilege to hear it partnering, it hasn’t appeared to be the weak link in that system.
The late Harry Pearson had an earlier variant of the JEM for almost a year, and he wanted to keep it ! Maybe, it should be resigned to the history books, but I would still love to own one.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Martin, when I was a customer of John Jefferies of Sounds Of Music in the 2000s, I believe he developed a tt based at least in part on the Jem.

Am I right on that?

m4martin

Mar 10, 2019
Martin, when I was a customer of John Jefferies of Sounds Of Music in the 2000s, I believe he developed a tt based at least in part on the Jem.

Am I right on that?

John made a turntable called the lumley stratosphere which was made long before the JEM Turntable. He may have revisited his design after the JEM was made, but I never saw a later version. So, you’re correct, yes.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Martin, I thought it was after. I think certainly the Stratosphere drew some inspiration.

So, who sold the Jem on day one?

m4martin

Mar 10, 2019
Martin, I thought it was after. I think certainly the Stratosphere drew some inspiration.

So, who sold the Jem on day one?

We took it to Las Vegas, sold one to a distributor in USA whom then submitted to Harry Pearson at Harry’s request from seeing it in Las Vegas. Harry kept it for a year, the distributor and us got fed up waiting for Harry to return it and publish his review. Both the distributor and I met at Harry’s home in sea cliff where Harry handed us a glass of champagne on his porch an said he was going to grant a golden ear award to the JEM. The distributor took the turntable back home, and to my knowledge Harry never published a review at all. I think he expected me to let him keep the turntable as a “review sample”. I not only would never consent to that, but we had also sold our turntable to the distributor, so it was their call. I’m glad they took it back. So, it was sold directly from us to USA.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
God, the everlasting review sample. Absolute poison of the reviewing world. You could fill a warehouse w the gear that is on permanent dem to reviewers.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing