* Did you watch a film last night (on Blu or DVD), and what was it? *

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Anyone who likes submarine movies, I do.

But it's not in the league of Das Boot.
There is no tension, the acting is cardboard, and the action overboard.
It could have been very good, but there are simply too many things going on.
They went for the full enchilada, maximum impact without substance.
Gary Oldman was miscasted, in my opinion. And Gerard Butler is best @ roles on the streets, not under water, in my opinion again.

But for a popcorn flick with great bass intensity it fits the bill.
It's an action/comedy flick genre; the comedic aspect because you will understand if you see it.

Overall (film value only): 40

Last word (technical): For no-brain entertainment (visuals and auditory), give it a shot, it will satisfy your senses. The under water scenes (subs moving) are not realistic and are subdued.
The over the water scenes are clear, sharp and pretty. The audio; sound effects and dialog are clear and punchy. The music score is nothing to write home about.
All in all the technical merits are its best assets. Your subs will appreciate its bass energy, and your display will brighten with very clean visuals.
It's in Dolby Atmos.

Very last word: It's on the edge. If you are not sure go for it...you might find your own balance.
If you value your brain, forget it. If you value your home theater it will shake those strings with aplomb.

We all have different views. We thoroughly enjoyed it. And will most definitely view it again. But, as I have said more than once, I am pretty easily entertained !!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
It's just that Gary Oldman wasn't convincing enough. :)
It's all good Chuck, there are some action segments that I enjoyed.
If there wasn't I might have rated it below zero.

Technically I enjoyed it more.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

Four women without their husband; the poor guys got killed during a Chicago robbery that went wrong. Now the widows have to pay the consequences because when the poor husbands died they died with a $2 million debt. And that money is owed to someone serious. And that someone serious wants that money back from the widows now, now that the husbands are dead.

The film is directed by Steve McQueen and the music is from Hans Zimmer.
The cast is superb, even Robert Duvall is in it. The camera work and acting is in top shape.
Viola Davis is fantastic, and all the other actors are playing the game with a mature grip.

Widows is not a blockbuster film with non-stop action a la Black Panther style.
No, it's all in the chops performed by a first class cast with a razor sharp script.
It's not for children and for sensitive emotional viewers. It's not a romantic film a la Roméo et Juliette. It's an adult movie for adults.

It's not perfect, and that makes it good enough.

Overall (film only): 90

Technical merits ...
- Visuals, camera work, angles, locales, ... : 87
- Audition, music score, tunes, atmospheric ambiance, ... : 96

Last word: Give it a shot, from my best knowledge I think that you are all going to enjoy that flick...Widows. ...And the music too; led it roll the entire length, even during and to the end of the film rolling credits. It's an adult film for grownup adults...music and acting wise.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Oh I forgot to add this: If I would have said more it could have diminished somehow the other's overall movie expérience. Some films you simply don't want that, no, not with films like this one.

Tip: Just visit it as if nothing happened, as if you have read nothing.
...Only the title; Widows, and nothing else. It's for adults, brilliant.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Based on a "vanishing" true story (very loosely), you might have read about it, or not.

Flannan Isles Lighthouse

In December 1900 on an isolated island of Flannan Isles, Scotland, three lighthouse keepers vanished without trace. This a true story, it happened. But, nobody knows what exactly happened.
So here comes a film to entertain us, and entertain it does, but it's a bloody entertainment.
...Not for youngsters, not for family gatherings, not for sensitive men and women.
It's an adult film with blood and violence. Be advised.

There are few cinematic shots @ the beginning that I really liked. And it started like an interesting adventure, it captioned the interest and imagination. All good and peaceful and friendly and lovely so far. Remember, everything that happened later on is the film director's own imagination, nobody knows...but the most knowledgeable people came up with various theories, some more plausible than others. It's only from researching that you can form your own guess. That, I leave to the readers here, if they have any interest in it or not. Me, I certainly did, and I could write much more about it, not a book but an essay for certain.

Overall (film, acting, locales, interest, ...): 73
- Audio only: 75
- Visuals only: 76

Last word: If you can handle movie blood and some heavy violence (cords and knives and hands and sticks), what you have here are chatacter actors who perform their chops with . . . verve.
And the less you know the more you want to find out. It's a treacherous ride that'll keep you on your guards with many interesting stuff. Recommended.

It's not the blood, it's what's in the box. ...And the three lighthouse keepers, strong acting.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

That was an excellent performance from Rosamund Pike, her very best.

Another film based on a true story, and powerful @ that because it's about journalism that brings us what's happening in the fields of war, the zones of blood and destruction.

After watching this film you are going to investigate the real story on what and who it is based on, Marie Colvin. She was killed in Syria. This is probably the toughest job, be in a war zone and see people suffering all around you. ...Terrible, terrible, terrible.

The more you learn the more your access to the truth.

Overall (acting, film, ...): 76
Technical merits (music and camera): Perfectly adequate...73

Recommended, important. Not a job for the faint of heart, not a job for the merchants of lies.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Forty years ago (1979) most of you were in your prime time, including I.
Sir Ridley Scott was also in his prime time. That was the year 'Alien', the sci-fi/horror flick was released in movie theaters. It left an imprint in cinema history, a classic imprint.
I did not see it back then @ the theater, only later on from a video format...VHS tape.

I'm into movies and from all the consumer video formats even within the same format.
There were various releases of 'Alien' within the tape format, laser disc format, DVD format, Blu-ray format, and now it has just been released again but for the first time in the 4K UHD Blu-ray format...encoded with HDR10+ for people with a 4K Blu-ray player that supports it and a display that also supports it. Not all do, and as a matter of fact very very few do.
But fear not because most support HDR10, which is also included with this like all 4K Blu-ray titles.

This release is new for the 4K picture...mainly. The audio didn't get any Dolby Atmos treatment and neither a DTS:X one. And the included regular HD 1080p Blu-ray ray disc is the same one as the last one released from years ago, nothing has changed here.

You all know this flick, you have seen it, so you already know the full score.
Then why revisiting it again? First because I can, two because it's from a new video encoding...a 4K scanning. So, was it as good as the last time I saw it on regular HD Blu-ray? It was fun to revisit with a more "atmospheric" color and detail palette. The contrasts between brighter and darker scenes made it more . . . "punchier in the eyes of the brain"? It has more scare appeal if I may say, without a different emotional impact of the important change type, and certainly not like the first time we have all seen it; it is more a new visual improvement. The sound is the same (a little lame). It is that picture change here that's the main essence, for the better.

- Film rating: 83
- 4K picture: 84
-
Audio: 69, and that is generous.

Numbers are subjective; in space, no one can see them the same.

Final word: Is it worth it, to get it again in the 4K BR format? It depends, if you want an improved visual experience, yes it is. And it happens that the price is right...only fifteen US dollars.

Enjoy the movies.

If you want the best version (like a music recording) this is it. It's the best visual presentation.
If you like numbers; about 7-17% better than the previous Blu-ray version? In that kind of neighborhood. Audio is the exact same and by today's standards it's more like a 3 stars out of 5. The replay value is interestingly fun in rediscovering this classic.
_____

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Regular 1080p HD vs 4K UHD (rough visual estimation, just like music videos on YouTube) ...

20190427_140743.jpg 20190427_140523.jpg

It could look more like this on some displays (below) ...

20190427_144900.jpg 20190427_145033.jpg

Last edited:

Kenc

Jan 3, 2019
Toronto, Canada
no but I can read subtitles and I've visited. The Harpa in Reykjavik is a beautiful concert hall...unfortunately there were no performances
when I was there.

Reactions: NorthStar

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I revisited this, for the music soundtrack (Éric Serra) and Gary Oldman's electrifying performance. I like all Luc Besson's films (the Frenchman artistic director). And Jean Reno is always cool to watch. ...Natalie Portman's very first film (she was only twelve), and quite impressive performance too.

I watched the International Version (Extended, with an additional 25 minutes); 135 minutes total.

The replay value is also high. ...From the very beginning in the opening shots of New York streets with the towers in the background and leading to a Macaroni restaurant in Little Italy, and to the ending credits with the beautiful tune by Sting.

Léon and Mathilda's apartment building on the northwest corner of E 97th St & Park Ave, pictured in 2003

It's a great film in the tradition of the best hitman in New York City. I like the locales, the acting and more so the film soundtrack. I like films best for the music; without music they would be like Charlie Chaplin movies from the silent era.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Some movies have a raw/visceral impact, intertwined with mystic dark humor.
They are not for everyone, no Disney wonderful world here, or Marvel comic superheroes.
Last night, on Blu:

It's the story of two cops with the older one being a little rough, and during a drug bust they get caught by a surveillance camera. They get suspended. Then circumstances in life propel the older suspended cop to cash in what he believes his due. If you can handle what follows it means that you can handle this type of American neo-noir crime thriller film written and directed by S. Craig Zahler.

This is not your typical crime drama action thriller flick. It is violent in couple scenes, and its construction is . . . different (camera angles, lights, daytime & nighttime, to keep up with the neo-noir style).

The acting is realistically solid. The picture and music sound quality on par.
If you're up to it give it a spin, just don't watch it with young children or sensitive partners.
The film is two hours and forty minutes long but I sailed through without noticing.
It's a small budget film ($15 million). It made ten times that (almost) @ the box office.

Overall: 69

Mike

VIP/Donor
Jan 28, 2012
Madison, New Jersey
I revisited this, for the music soundtrack (Éric Serra) and Gary Oldman's electrifying performance. I like all Luc Besson's films (the Frenchman artistic director). And Jean Reno is always cool to watch. ...Natalie Portman's very first film (she was only twelve), and quite impressive performance too.

I watched the International Version (Extended, with an additional 25 minutes); 135 minutes total.

The replay value is also high. ...From the very beginning in the opening shots of New York streets with the towers in the background and leading to a Macaroni restaurant in Little Italy, and to the ending credits with the beautiful tune by Sting.

Léon and Mathilda's apartment building on the northwest corner of E 97th St & Park Ave, pictured in 2003

It's a great film in the tradition of the best hitman in New York City. I like the locales, the acting and more so the film soundtrack. I like films best for the music; without music they would be like Charlie Chaplin movies from the silent era.
Good flick. I guess E 97th St & Park Ave isn't Little Italy, but Upper East Side.
You may like the film La Femme Nikita (not the American version).

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I believe all Luc Besson films are in my collection, including La Femme Nikita (version Internationale Française). I am French Canadian.

You probably also know 'Le Grand Bleu'.

Last edited:

assessor43

Nov 1, 2018
Last night ::

---

* I luv this flick!
...Even if I disapprove of the main actor's life philosophy in one particular aspect in America.
And of course, that chariot's race is superb! ...Great scene! [Click on it!]

One of the greatest movies ever. I wonder how much it would cost to produce a film of this quality today? I bet lots. It was all real back then. No computers. Cinematographers had to know how to use light. This is a movie of true epic proportions. It may be the best film ever made.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing