* Did you watch a film last night (on Blu or DVD), and what was it? *

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
One of the greatest movies ever. I wonder how much it would cost to produce a film of this quality today? I bet lots. It was all real back then. No computers. Cinematographers had to know how to use light. This is a movie of true epic proportions. It may be the best film ever made.

I wouldn't mind @ all that movie studios and filmmakers spend $350 million per movie (eg.; Avengers: Endgame) and make the best history sandal movies again, instead of comic books movies loaded with computer generated effects (fakes). But then, would they make $2 billion plus @ the box office? Gladiator was cool, and the music score.

Yes in the 50s films had more value for the brain compared to today.
...Ben-Hur, The Ten Commandments, Cleopatra, Spartacus, etc.
Those genre films can be made today to have a fantastic human history for all, and towards building a better world, good for kids, adults.

What drives any industry is money first (comics, fantasies, sci-fi flicks); history education and brain last. People vote with their wallets (without brain) first.
Intelligent movies don't usually make money; the ones that do ... what a relief, what a true deliverance, what a real human essence... entertainment @ its very best, where it counts the most, in the sixth sense...the mind.
_____

* Charlton Heston was and still is a total loser.
His legacy is worth less than zero with his guns.
But he was good in Ben-Hur, so we look @ him as in movies not as in reality.
It's like Michael Jackson ...
_____

** Nice to see people who like movies and talk about them right here.
It's the same with music. It motivates the mind to explore paradise.

We love to be entertained in our senses...visuals and audio. But to be entertained in the brain people don't go for that; we are evolved societies, without brain.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Revisited:

We all have read multiple accounts on those true events, so I won't elaborate because there's so much more material to discover surrounding this time period in history.
Nobody knows exactly how many people died all together; from the other side. Some says hundreds, others thousands. ...Good luck.

The 4K picture is a revelation. The details and contrasts are the best this flick have ever shown on 4K displays. And the audio Atmos is top notch.
This package is now the new kid on the block, the ultimate sound and picture...the full enchilada with both versions presented in 4K. ...The very first time ever, because last time I saw the Extended version was from the DVD 3-Disc Deluxe Edition...a long time ago from a far away galaxy.

If you're a fan it's the one to get...brand new fresh and 100% worthy for the pumping adrenaline.

You know the score, the story, the locales, the cinematography, the music, the bullets, the circumstances, the history, the reality, you know it all but this time amplified picture and audio quality wise...fully loaded, fully calibrated and fully registered.

Film: 82

- Visuals: 92
- Music & Sounds: 92

Last word: Leave the kids @ school, strap yourself in a bulletproof vest, grab few grenades and enough ammunition (high caliber) to last couple and half hours. You're going to need it and much more.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Kalman Rubinson is a writer for Stereophile (Music in the Round).
He reviews audio components, loudspeakers, music recordings, ...
? https://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Once he wrote, in a music thread of an audio forum, where most posters don't comment on the music recordings they listen to but only mention them (the album title and the artist, with the front cover picture): "Why not say something about them?"

We assume that the music we listen to and the movies we watch and we post are because we like them. Why post music and films that we don't like, right?

Kalman is 100% absolutely right. Posting only a music recording title (or film title), without any comment is like having a thread of just pictures without words. Words are worth a thousand pictures. Without words we are lost.

I am a registered member of several websites, like Kalman and many more.
Many websites have music threads, movie threads, photography/picture threads, ...many of those threads have zero words. They are the most popular too...number of views and likes given.
In particular people love threads of pictures without any word written; it's like taking a break of words, like a place to relax once in a while. A picture is worth a thousand words. Without pictures we are lost.

In music and film threads I do agree that just a few words, just a rating adds to the full picture.

It is impossible to please the entire planet; it's a job for the unknown gurus living in the remote peaks of the highest mountains of Tibet.
_____

Mad Max: Fury Road ... the vast majority loved it. I assume you do to, but I also do know some people who find zero rewards in it, a total waste of time from a mindless film.

Inception ... now that's a film with many angles.

Music and films are fun to talk about, even if only few typed words...a score.
Photo threads with zero words are different.
We are all different.

:cool:

With only those few words above said, ...

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Technical aspects (picture & sound):

There are several video formats for 'Mad Max: Fury Road' ..., 4K Blu-ray, standard Blu-ray (1080p), 3D Blu-ray, Black&White Blu-ray, DVD. The audio comes with Dolby Atmos.
Which format did you view? And, are you a fan of the previous three Mad Max movies with Mel Gibson? ...All four films directed by George Miller.

'Inception' also comes in these formats except in 3D and in B&W. The audio doesn't come with Dolby Atmos, only 5.1 channels. Christopher Nolan is not big in surround sound; his primary directive is the front soundstage...the three front channels.

And of course they are available from service providers like Amazon, Vudu, Hulu, Netflix, HBO, etc., ...

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I revisited Redux

202 minutes ... I thought I wouldn't make it, but I did.
This film is loaded, so much that revisiting it still holds solid ground.
The smoothness, the choreography, the intimacy, the disfuntionality, the synchronicity, the synthesizer, the tempo, the atmospheric scent and colors, the smoke, the psychedality, the trance, the craziness, the mission, ...and the ultimate culmination lead to a world of psilocybin cinema art. It's hard to feel disconnected, almost impossible, like the apotheosis in hell.

Overall (everything...film, moving pictures, sounds, music snippets, dialog, actor's performances, locales, camera angles, ...): 94

I was taken, again, transported on the zigzagging river surrounded on both sides by the jungle.
I went for the full ride again without ever blinking. ...Through the end.

Replay value: 100

AWZ1979

Feb 22, 2019
Not last night but on Friday night I watched The Doors: Live at the Isle of Wight festival on blu-ray.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Thirty years from now (2049) are you going to be here, still alive? I won't.
I like sci-fi films, some more than others, including Blade Runner 2049

It's the type of sci-fi I don't mind multiple revisits, and that I just did.
Music score, camera angles, lights, decor sets, story progression, characters, ... it all suits me just fine.

It's crazy how fast time flys. We don't live forever, we won't be taking a stroll up the mountains and by the oceans and the forests and the trees and the flowers and the rivers for eternity.
Might as well smell it good while we're still here and kicking some more.
...In real life nature as in movies and in music...being transported and in awe.

Blade Runner 2049 ... great sci-fi flick directed by a cool filmmaker, young Canadian Frenchman...Denis Villeneuve (51).
High caliber film crew and all, including ...
Music by
Cinematography by Roger A. Deakins

assessor43

Nov 1, 2018
Just watched the Blu ray version of Mad Max, not the black and white. I also watched Brooklyn. Good movie.

assessor43

Nov 1, 2018
* Charlton Heston was and still is a total loser.
His legacy is worth less than zero with his guns.
But he was good in Ben-Hur, so we look @ him as in movies not as in reality.
It's like Michael Jackson ...

In the movie Ben Hur, Charlton Heston does play the part of a jerk in a way. The part where Pontius Pilate tries to talk to him Ben Hur does act like a Loser.

Reactions: bonzo75

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
"Good" as in " acting"...performing his job. :)

Movies are fun; good guys, good gals, bad dudes, bad girls, good, bad, ugly...once in the West, cowboys, Indians, western, Heston, Julius Caesar, Roman Empire, Jesus Christ superstar, superman, Batman, CatWoman, marvel Avengers, marvelous, ...

I revisited The Cooler (2003) last night, starring William H. Macy. Simple, I like.
_____

* Brooklyn I like too.

I like moving pictures, cinema, photos, music, songs, talking, and sometimes no talk.
I love life, people, what's inside and outside of Earth, of everything.

I looked high @ the sky this morning
It was covered of million tears of rain
I went in, inside the tears of the sky outside
Coming back inside the home I left the door wide open ...

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Last night I revisited this (in great company) ...

Overall: 85

- Visual 4K animation only: 91
- Sound design only (Atmos): 93

This is not for adults, this is for kids and animated film lovers (all ages).
I recommend.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hitman's bodyguard was a lot of fun with Samuel Jackson and Ryan Reynolds. Much better than avengers

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Last night I watched Oprah Winfrey Presents When They See Us.
This was not on Blu-ray or DVD (physical disc), this was on Netflix.
It's a one hour interview with the cast (half hour), and the five people who were incarcerated and fully exonerated (half hour).

This interview follows the four-part movie series. And it was on last night.

Let me say this first: This is essential viewing.
I cried deep in my heart; I didn't have that type of emotional level since ... a long time.

? https://www.multichannel.com/pr-fee...-premiere-june-12-at-10-pm-on-own-and-netflix

Only the interview (overall): 100
_____

The 4-episodes film: 90

* It is only my guess that few will give up after roughly 10 or 20 minutes from the first episode.
The music background is RAP music.
Don't give up; you are in for some of the best acting performance of your life.
By the end of the fourth episode you will appreciate much more some of the Rap music with a deeper understanding in the soul and heart of a man and a woman.

This is Netflix @ its very best, this is filmmaking @ its very best, this is the essence.
...Both the film (4 episodes: roughly 5 hours total), and the interview (one hour).

Very highly recommended. It will tear your soul apart and then sticht it for the better.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I didn't mention this: one of the five (the one sitting @ extreme right with shorts)...he's a very special man, with a heart bigger than Earth. And the young actor who plays him in the movie...especially in the last and fourth episode...that, is high caliber onscreen presence...best.

And when you find out (that if you research further about the true facts) and also represented in the first episode, who he is; that should elevate your soul to higher wisdom.

The five men are beautiful people. The film director, she's top best.
All the actors, the full story, the real people, the last thirty years, ...When They See Us: Essential food for the brain and heart. It's the real deal.

If you don't shed one tear @ some point during Oprah's interview; you are made of strong steel.

* https://www.vice.com/amp/en_ca/arti...special-shows-the-scars-the-series-didnt-heal

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing