Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Ben's flick.

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Bob,

You watch movies like you plant trees! Dang! :)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Lol Jack I guess I do. But I never watch TV (no Cable, no Satellite now for the last 10 years or so); so I like to watch one Blu-ray movie per night (if I don't fall asleep that is...). :)

* It is good to watch one movie per day; like a good glass of wine it is healthy, but in a more relaxing way for the mind, eyes and ears from the actors, the directors, the photography directors, the music composers and the storylines.

What I do a lot is spending quite a few hours every day in front of my computer, as much as I used to plant trees indeed.
- Man needs variation in his life, as it is the source of a good balance.
Excelling in one specialized function is a good thing!
Excelling at everything is many good things! :)

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
* It is good to watch one movie per day; like a good glass of wine it is healthy, but in a more relaxing way for the mind, eyes and ears from the actors, the directors, the photography directors, the music composers and the storylines.
What a great line! I'm gonna have to borrow this one.

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
I don't know what to say Mark; it's just a very shaky camera work and fast moving flick! :D
That was probably the main intention! :)

It's certainy not for all taste out there. ...That is why my title said "Only for the true daredevils!"

I haven't seen this one yet, but I had already read in the cinematographer's forums that the Sony EX1 was the main camera and the little Canons were used for the car chases. I do hate shaky camera work.

Monsters was entirely shot with the Sony EX3, another camera in my stable of tools. That film actually looks pretty good.

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Gone, Baby, Gone is an excellent film.

Ben Affleck is probably a better film maker than he is actor.

IMO, his brother, Casey is the better actor.

Loved Casey in both The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford and Gone, Baby.

Incredible acting.

If you haven't already, check out The Town, Ben's most recent directorial work.

It stars Ben and the lead actor from The Hurt Locker.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I haven't seen this one yet, but I had already read in the cinematographer's forums that the Sony EX1 was the main camera and the little Canons were used for the car chases. I do hate shaky camera work.

Monsters was entirely shot with the Sony EX3, another camera in my stable of tools. That film actually looks pretty good.

Then I wouldn't think you'd like "Crank2 - High Voltage" Mark. Like I said, the camera work is mostly very shaky, as it was intended that way.
But me I really like the good sense of humor in it, so it works just fine for me. :)
It ain't a film about nice vistas and locales and all that nice photographic Jazz... But about a heart needing a constant boost! It's a completely out of wack flick, no more no less...
And in DTS-HD MA 7.1-channel too! :cool:

Gone, Baby, Gone is an excellent film.

Ben Affleck is probably a better film maker than he is actor.

IMO, his brother, Casey is the better actor.

Loved Casey in both The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford and Gone, Baby.

Incredible acting.

If you haven't already, check out The Town, Ben's most recent directorial work.

It stars Ben and the lead actor from The Hurt Locker.

Yes Rob, Casey is a good actor, and in "Gone Baby Gone" he's real good.
I also have "The Assassination of Jesse James by...", as well "The Town", both on Blu-rays; and they have both some very good content in them. ...Different rhythm, paste though.
"The Town" is well constructed in my opinion, so was "Gone Baby Gone". Ben is a talented movie director.

* Last night:

=> But I was sleepy during few moments...

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Last night.

* I've seen it few times already. It has few good moments, but not the best Indiana for sure.
The intro is cool, the THX demo!

I found the Dolby TrueHD audio soundtrack missing! The dialog is missing! The overall audio is subdue! The picture is fine though.
That is too bad as Steven Spielberg is usually into good sound! ...And he likes DTS!
Some' is amiss here!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Sooo, am I the only member here at What's Best Forum to watch, and rewatch, some Blu-ray movies? :)

* Last night:

=> Good replay value on this one.

Yeah, let's do that now! This is is post #51; so from now on, when you watch a movie, tell us also if you think that it was a good replay movie value. :cool:

So the first part (the first fifty posts) was about which movie you watched the night before; now on the second part we add the replay value (up to post #100 and up), plus at post #101, I'll add up another interesting spin, or spice. :)

So this thread will never get boring; to the contrary, it will only get better and better as we go along. :)
* That's what I call constructive 'cheminement'; French for future path.

Last edited:

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
RED has good replay value. I watched it again a few nights later and I'm sure I'll watch it again.

I watch lots of my blu-rays again and again.

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Watched Cyrus tonight on Blu-Ray.

With John C Reilly, Jonah Hill and Marissa Tomei, we were ready for some big-time laughs, but aside from a few chuckles, it didn't really jell. Neither did the story. A real dud. I'd give the PQ a "B." No replay value in this one.

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I'll probably end up watching Due Date and The Town again. Those are good. I also really enjoyed The Last Station and will watch it again. Same with The Social Network.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
We watched "Patch Adams". It must have been a really long time since we watched it since neither of use remembered much of it. Robin Williams was great in the lead.

After the movie, we went online and read all about the real Patch Adams. Colorful guy who only agreed to the movie so that he could get money for his "hospital" and ended up getting nothing.

I will definitely watch again some time in the future.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
I cannot recall watching a movie more than once in the past few years. Last night, we watched Kick Ass and I can assure all that we will never watch it again. It went immediately into the "distribute to family" stack.

I do watch some BluRays more than once but they are music/concert discs.

Kal

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I watched Rain Man and Jacob's Ladder on blu-ray recently. First time watching them on blu, but about the tenth time I've watched them.

I'm sure I'll watch those again, too.

There's another thread where I've listed about 100 movies to which I continually return over the years.

When I really like a movie, I tend to return again and again.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I cannot recall watching a movie more than once in the past few years. Last night, we watched Kick Ass and I can assure all that we will never watch it again. It went immediately into the "distribute to family" stack.

I do watch some BluRays more than once but they are music/concert discs.

Kal

You're not alone Kal; I know many people that like you watch a movie once and that's it! Fine by me too.

Also, you are an Audio man first and foremost, and you work too as a writer, a reviewer; so it is fully understandable.
The number of movies that are inteligent with good stories, good construction, good pacing, acting, cinematography, realistic sound, great musical scores, are mainly in the low minority.

Most movies nowadays are for high impact "leave your brains at the bottom of the ocean floor"! :)
It don't really matter to have a nice Blu-ray picture and high res Audio if the rest is not up to it.

- A nice picture of a city street or nice camera work of an inside room don't cut it compared to the vistas of films like "Lawrence of Arabia" or "A Passage to India" or "Doctor Zhivago" or "Kundun" or "Once Upon a Time in the West" or "1900" or "The Last Emeror" or "The Sheltering Sky" or "The Cotton Club" or "Apocalypse Now" or "The Untouchables" or "8 1/2" or "Amarcord" or "The Searchers" or "North by Northwest" or "The Birds" or "Vertigo" or "Paths of Glory" or "2001: A Space Odyssey" or "The Seven Samurai" or "Yojimbo" or "Ran" or "Once Upon a Time in America" or "Chinatown" or "Blade Runner" or "1492: Conquest of Paradise" or "Empire of the Sun" or "Schindler's List" or "Amistad" or "Saving Private Ryan" or "War of the Worlds" or "Heaven and Earth" or "Pulp Fiction" or "The Four Hundred Blows" or "Citizen Kane" or "Touch of Evil" or those many others in that classic genre...

- And the Audio is a fest for the senses but totally unrealistic in those newer films (unless a good musical score).

Music Concerts on Blu-ray are my bag! ...{Kick-Ass is kid's stuff Kal!} :)

* Movies are like paintings; no everyone like the style of some. ..Or like wines... Or Women... Good taste is an acquired ART.

Hey, just posting what comes to my mind! :)

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Tonight, I watched the first three episodes from the first season of LOST on blu-ray.

I missed the whole thing on TV during its run. This is tense and fun, the issues are thought provoking, the PQ and AQ is very, very strong.

Highly recommended.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing