Diesis dipole

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
Has anyone heard the Diesis speakers? They seem aimed at SETs as they have a top model designed for Kondo amplification. My question is, how did they get the desired bass extension and efficiency? Normally an open backed design is not so efficient as ported or sealed box.

Also there will be interaction from the bass rear energy, same level as the front energy, so placement is key, just like a Panel speaker. They are not a budget speaker either. I must have missed them at Munich hifi deluxe last year, as they had a room apparently. musicista-1280x720.jpg caput_mundi_dettagli_5f-720x1280.jpg

Thoughts?

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
They were very good...then I learned the price...:eek:

Reactions: bazelio

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
Is there a difference between a "dipole" and an "open baffle" speaker?

http://www.hifitimereview.com/diesis-audio-ludos/

Anyone know what make of turntable that is in the opening post?

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Has anyone heard the Diesis speakers? They seem aimed at SETs as they have a top model designed for Kondo amplification. My question is, how did they get the desired bass extension and efficiency? Normally an open backed design is not so efficient as ported or sealed box.

Also there will be interaction from the bass rear energy, same level as the front energy, so placement is key, just like a Panel speaker. They are not a budget speaker either. I must have missed them at Munich hifi deluxe last year, as they had a room apparently. View attachment 49547 View attachment 49548

Thoughts?

Depends on which specific 15” woofers they are using. Judicious choice in parallel can easily achieve 100dB+.

Bass extension is a matter of choice of woofer driver and their specified fs when using this type of open baffle construction.

Room placement is important for all speakers but agree that dipoles need careful consideration.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Is there a difference between a "dipole" and an "open baffle" speaker?

http://www.hifitimereview.com/diesis-audio-ludos/

Anyone know what make of turntable that is in the opening post?

In this case, no. But you can have a dipole box where you have a speaker on the front and back, so it wouldn't be open baffle. But only the Diesis bass is dipole, the horn is directional.

Reactions: infinitely baffled

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Also there will be interaction from the bass rear energy, same level as the front energy, so placement is key, just like a Panel speaker. They are not a budget speaker either. I must have missed them at Munich hifi deluxe last year, as they had a room apparently. View attachment 49547 View attachment 49548

Thoughts?

Rhapsody was running them with an Italian hybrid though he is a Kondo dealer too. I also heard them with ongaku and absolare (in triode mode and Pentode) with Vyger Indian signature and thought they came to life more with the absolare in pentode mode, so I think they need the oomph of the hybrid rather than pure low watt SETs.

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Rhapsody was running them with an Italian hybrid though he is a Kondo dealer too. I also heard them with ongaku and absolare (in triode mode and Pentode) with Vyger Indian signature and thought they came to life more with the absolare in pentode mode, so I think they need the oomph of the hybrid rather than pure low watt SETs.
They would probably be a good candidate for a higher power SET from the Eastern European (or from Cypress ;)) design school, which seem to have more grunt and drive. PP triode would also probably sound very good on them.

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
I have listened to the Aura, Ludos and Roma driven by Pilium Pre and stereo power amp at Rhapsody

I was very impressed by the tonality and resolution.

IMHO, very good musicality and refinement at their respective price points

The attention paid by the design engineers to the baffle construction and materials employed can clearly be heard. This ain’t your uncle's MDF box.
the crossovers look very well made, and for sure deliver sonic dividends as well

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
All of the Diesis speakers sound REALLY good with the Diesis Evento hybrid "Evento" integrated. More expensive electronics ie, Pilium sound really good as well. I play the Roma and Roma Triode with 4 watt Kondo set amp and many people, love that sound. I remember playing the 2A3s on the Roma with Herb Reichert and this was his favorite vs. the Ongaku and Pilium.

I know Ed (EuroDriver) prefers the Pilium to say the Diesis integrated and for good reason, it sounds quite extraordinary.

Like everything else it comes down to personal preference, being very efficient, all of the Diesis speakers allow for one to match pretty much any amplifier to the speakers to get the sound that works for them.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Roma Triode playing a 50 year old Pop/Rock tune

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Stealing Howie's song:)

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Outstanding Bob. One day I'll have to get a pair.

HA, you don't need anything else, you already have NIRVANA:) I love your speakers!!!

Reactions: howiebrou

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
HA, you don't need anything else, you already have NIRVANA:) I love your speakers!!!

Howie, thank you for this album. I did not know it. I'm only half way through my first listening of it and I already love it. I can tell it will be a mainstay. Thx!!!

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Howie, thank you for this album. I did not know it. I'm only half way through my first listening of it and I already love it. I can tell it will be a mainstay. Thx!!!

He's a brilliant singer. I only got introduced to it recently. Check out his other albums on Tidal.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
He's a brilliant singer. I only got introduced to it recently. Check out his other albums on Tidal.

I didn't think of that YET.....great. Will do...thx

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
Reactions: ALF and Rhapsody

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing