DIY Project - Wiring Out Studer Head Block

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I have a Studer A812 in my main listening room which doesn't get much play time since I prefer to use my Doshi Audio EVO tape preamp. Currently I have 2 Technics RS-1500s with wired out Flux Magnetic heads feeding the Doshi.

So, I purchased a Studer A810 head block for the purpose of making it usable with the Doshi. The A810 and A812 head blocks are identical except for the rear D-sub connector which is a 3 row 50 pin on the A812 and a 2 row 25 pin on the A810. My other consideration is doing this was that I wanted to be able to go back to the stock head block on the A812 if I needed to.

My plan was to use the wires coming from the repro head and wire it to the existing 25 pin d-sub connector on the back of the head block. I didn't feel comfortable at this point wiring directly to the head. Of course, I can do this in the future. What I learned in the process of doing this is that there is a small preamp on the head block which is fed by the repro head before connecting to the d-sub connector. I disconnected the preamp since I didn't want it in the signal path.

2023-02-24 13.51.43.jpg

The head block wires, surrounded by shielding springs, were not long enough to reach the d-sub connector so I soldered on some extensions for that. Not ideal but I didn't have a choice.

2023-02-24 18.34.21.jpg

I soldered the 4 leads from the head to the d-sub connector. I reused the existing ground wires from the internal preamp.

Next I needed to build a 5 foot interconnect with a female d-sub connector on one end and XLRs on the other.

2023-02-25 10.46.51.jpg

I may have over done it with the heat shrink but I was nervous about the small wires shorting out. There isn't much space to work with on the d-sub connector.

I wrapped the first 2 feet of the interconnect with 2 layers of shielding tape of try to prevent any interference and hum with the wire running through some of the internal electronics.

2023-02-25 15.32.25.jpg

Lo and behold it works and it is dead quiet.

Version 2 may replace the Studer head with a Flux Magnetic head and wire out directly without the d-sub connector but for now this is good enough.

Thanks to Nick Doshi for providing me with a blue print for the project.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
No. It isn’t grounded on either side.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing