DIY stereo stand

rugyboogie

May 30, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Hello to all of the DIY people out there.
Thought that I would share a wood working project that I did for my component stand as well for my amps.
The materials list is as follows.

1. Brazilian Cherry also know as Jatoba. Shelf material.
2. Wenge for washers.
3. Threaded brass rods.
4. Stainless Steel couplers, nuts, washers and bolts.
5. Yellow Teflon tape.
6. Two inch diameter SS tubing cut to 6,8 and 10 inch lengths.
7. Two inch diameter brass rod machined for coupling to the floor a "la tiptoes".
8. Lead Shot
9. Silica fine sand

Will post some pics of the woodworking and the assembly of the stand.
P1030885.jpg P1040062.jpg P1040072.jpg P1040082.jpg P1040085.jpg

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Great job! Your woodworking and metal work is superlative.

Brazilian Cherry was the right choice--the same thing I used for my amps stand. It is hard, strong, dense, heavy and an intrinsically beautiful reddish brown color-not needing any stain to look magnificent. A little oil or polyurethane for finishing is it.

I know you will enjoy your work for many, many years.

Last edited:

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
Great job. Having the right tools, or access to them, makes all the difference in the world.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
DIY? I know you did it yourself but that sure is professional grade work sir.

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Beautiful

Hi Mikel,

Sonny and I were just admiring your work ;)
Hope you, Patty, and the boys are well :)

rugyboogie

May 30, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Thank you Wardsweb and Jack for your comments.
Spent my early years as a cabinet-furniture-boat maker.
Having access to the shop where I spent years building clients dreams does make it easier, but it still takes time.......

Hi Sam and Sunny
Yes thank you all is good, hope the same with you and Sonny as well.

Take care,
Mikel

rugyboogie

May 30, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Thank you Wardsweb and Jack for your comments.
Spent my early years as a cabinet-furniture-boat maker.
Having access to the shop where I spent years building clients dreams does make it easier, but it still takes time.......

Hi Sam and Sunny
Yes thank you all is good, hope the same with you and Sonny as well.

Take care,
Mikel

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
beautiful stands, looks like you're in the millwork trade. is that an early RS peeking through one of the pics?

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
Nothing great was ever done quickly. Be it wood or metal creating art takes time. There are just some things you can't rush. Even CNC machining takes time. When I did my horns, the wood alone was two hours of machine time. Add to that the billet aluminum vanes and the time doubled. That and I hadn't begun to assemble or apply a finish. But patience pays off in the end. You have functional art and the pride of making it yourself.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Great job. Having the right tools, or access to them, makes all the difference in the world.

You could give me all those tools and I would produce crap. You guys have mad skills. Hats off to you both.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
If you have lots of wood left over, the Jatoba/Brazilian cherry is a fantastic wood for a floor! You don't stain it since its gorgeous color is all the way through and all it needs is polyurethane to gloss it. It's practically scratch-proof being almost twice as hard as oak.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

rugyboogie

May 30, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Wardweb
Your speakers look sweet and am sure sound awesome. There is something to be said when you have the skill set to make and build beautiful things.
The satisfaction of knowing that everything was done just the way you like it.
My master that I served my apprenticeship always said " never enough time to do it right but always enough time to do it twice" words I live by.

puroagave
I was in the woodworking trade, but stopped in 1988 and have been building homes for architects and their clients.
You have a keen eye, yes it is an early RS.

JackD
We all have a different skill set, lucky to be able still use my old skills for my own room and home.

Lloyd
Thank you for your comment.
Speakers are Maxx IIs

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Rugy-Hats off to your skills. Simply stunning.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

mbskeam

Sep 28, 2012
some place in seattle area
looks very nice.
having the right tools to do the job really does help, along with the skill to do it...
I suck at wood working, if ya cut to much or to deep, ya just cant seam to put it back, like ya can with metal...:D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing