Dma-300rs

msm_1

Jun 20, 2010
Will be interested in seeing what the 300 brings to the table compared to the other models. Haven't found much info as of yet.

coopersark

May 24, 2013
I am sure that one thing that this amp will bring to the table is a shorter waiting line for the DMA 400's! LOL! As an owner of a pair of the Spectral DMA 400's, I can speculate that if this amp comes anywhere close to their fast, clean, spacious, and dynamic sound, that it will be "killer" good!

coopersark

May 24, 2013
Interpolating the Dutch pricing, it looks like this amp will be in the $15,000 price range. If this amplifier sounds close to the DMA-400rs, this may become the "sweet spot" in the Spectral line! Reading between the lines of what Rick Fryer had to say about this amplifier also can be interpreted that one will have to get on the end of a long line to enjoy that "sweet spot" amplifier!

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Does Spectral have a QA problem or is it my imagination? Seems like several people on this forum have recently bought brand new Spectral gear only to see it go up in smoke soon after they hook it up to their system.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
I have not had a single issue since purchasing my DMC-30SS and DMA-260 three years ago. Nothing but solid everyday performance. I have no desire to upgrade or change.

scouter

Member Sponsor
Oct 30, 2012
Wrightsville Beach, NC
Same here- 3 years +/- running. I have been running my DMC-15 and DMA-260 for 24hrs the last 23 days straight to burn in Magicos and all is well. Built like a tank!

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Same here- 3 years +/- running. I have been running my DMC-15 and DMA-260 for 24hrs the last 23 days straight to burn in Magicos and all is well. Built like a tank!

I'm happy for both you and Dan.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Custom-made FETs for Keith Johnson??? OK, time to order my DMA-400s :D

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside

I have been trying to understand the differences in sound I hear on Marty's DMA 400's versus my 260 so I can decide if it is worth it to me to upgrade to a 300RS. I must say that this You Tube of Rick Freyer talking about the 400's and 300 RS and how they are different from the 260 and 360 finally makes it possible for me to understand what I am hearing and why I will never be able to obtain the same sound with a 260. Put simply as I understand it, the FET's in the 400 and 300 are a completely different design than anything that has preceded them in the audio world in that they do not have thermal tails, which means that they do not experience any non-linearity due to thermal storing that affects all other semiconductor designs. As a result of no thermal tails, they remain more linear throughout their operation, which in turn produces a more accurate representation of the original music.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
There is probably more than that, including their claim that there are no capacitors in the signal path (if you exclude the power supply).

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
I found the explanation very general, almost like he had 20 minutes of time to fill. Perhaps you can demo a 300rs in your system once it is available.

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
I found the explanation very general, almost like he had 20 minutes of time to fill. Perhaps you can demo a 300rs in your system once it is available.

Agreed! Listening = knowing. The technical aspects aside, it has to appeal! :)

edwardce

Oct 7, 2010
I spent some time this weekend reading the Spectral Technical Bulletins again, the ones authored by KOJ. When comparing the one for DMA 260, the last major change before the Reference Standard amps, and the one for DMA 400, there is very little difference. The section titled "Innovative New Semiconductors in Gain Stage" is new. And the paragraph describing the new generation system board "which allows ultra stable high frequency operation without ferrite stabilization or capacitors in the signal path" and features new "high plate" pc board technology is new. The rest is word for word copied from the DMA 260 bulletin. Spectral has always introduced its' new technology in an evolutionary manner and it appears to me that the Reference Standard amplifiers are the culmination of a process begun with the DMA 260. Even looking at images of the DMA 260 internals and those of the DMA 400, there is little apparent difference. Two of the heat sinks in the gain stage have been reoriented and there are a few additional components in the center of the motherboard in the DMA 400. I am not down playing the differences, rather noting that I think the DMA 300 is an evolution of the DMA 260 and not a totally new design. Question, do any of you know if the new chassis design as used on the DMA 400, 300, and 200S II is still a welded box with a bolt on lid, or is it an assembly of plates bolted together? I have seen them, but not with the transparent lid or without the lid. The new look is classy, but Spectral made a big deal about there mil spec welded chassis in the past. I look forward to hearing a DMA 300 RS in my system once the line grows reasonably short!

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I was told the design locked in around Labor Day; so expect it soon

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing