Do I want my every day stereo, all out performance

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
As I have been playing my 2 amps and fleshing out the difference between them, I have started to ponder what I really want out of my system. Do I want all out, high performance, full redline playback. Or do I really want a more subtle, tempered playback. My 2 amps really are quite similar, but they also diverge in important ways. One really lays it all out there. Here it is. The other is shockingly real, yet it has a gentler hand. Almost a fine calf skin glove. It's just wonderful to listen too. Having both has allowed me to ponder, if I had to choose one, would I go for the full assault, this is all there is to give. Or would I go for, I can love this every day. Nothing lacking. Presented in a beautiful, clean yet totally unobtrusive way.

I think I am finding when I listen to the all out assault, I spend time paying attention. I'm sitting on the edge of the chair noticing everything in the playback. The other amp I find I am just there in the music. Less attentive to what is going on with the electronics. I really cant say whether one or the other is more correct. They are just different. They bring a different vibe to my time in front of the system. Anyone else ponder this with their electronics?
Rex

Reactions: MattyW

K3RMIT

Sep 4, 2020
I have legacy amps I use while both are great they both are different. Both are very musical , my issue is mood sometimes listening to my system other times the music.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
I have a friend in Japan with three systems inside of one room... that include 6 speaker systems. So for some 'one best' is the goal for others they ask 'which system is best for this record'? No right or wrong :)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I have a friend in Japan with three systems inside of one room... that include 6 speaker systems. So for some 'one best' is the goal for others they ask 'which system is best for this record'? No right or wrong :)

What are the systems? Take your time

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
His system is a lot to digest. I will say for the moment it includes
TT: 930, 301, 401
Speakers: Original Tannoy Autograph, GRF x2 * maybe different drivers* , Altec 755, Goodmans of some type, Jordan Watts...maybe more.
Electronics: I need to call him...there was so much I cant begin to list ;) Was a Shindo amp but a bunch of 'I am not sure' there.

I began focused on his gear but eventually seduced by the vinyl and sake :)

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Just an aside....we were playing a lot of jazz... finished a Dollar Brand album...I asked for Eric Dolphy...soon we had 'Out to Lunch' on the 930 Autograph system. He insisted it was the 'right way to hear it'. Was lovely...

( this was all translated by my best mate Roger who also lives in Japan...)

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Simple. Do you want to listen to the gear or the music?

Reactions: ddk

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Simple. Do you want to listen to the gear or the music?

I want all out performance, all out assault in the words of the OP ?- for the sake of getting the most out of listening to music.

But then, I don't want my music mellow and relaxing either. I want it exciting. That's also how I prefer seating in the concert hall -- upfront, close to the performers, if possible.

If a mellow character is inherent to the music, however, I want it presented that way, not hyped up.

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Anyone else ponder this with their electronics?

Some would say if you aren't doing both that you aren't doing either. ;)

I like Solypsa's answer as it applies to someone in a location with high amounts of environmental commonality. Air is very sensitive and Japanese electronics provide replies to the full circumference of a year.

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Slight twist on what Al M. said is consistent over excitation should become as dulling as intended. Unexplored peaks off in the far distance carrying promise of time to enjoy them at leisure, buzzing with energy.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I'm fortunate to have the opportunity to have both. I have always chased the most intense performance. That which I perceive as most alive and real. That has been a path of tubes. But I always wanted a system with less fuss. I also wanted less noise. No matter the tube amp, I end up with some amount of hum. Oddly, even thought the Dsrtzeel is absolutely dead quiet at the unit and out through the speakers, I wonder if I don't yearn for some noise as I spent years playing electric guitar. There may be an ingrained need for background growl in anticipation of the eruption of noise about to be let loose. Baaa what am I saying.

I get what rando is saying. To me, I always found SS dull at places I heard it. That or not as natural and over emphasized in bass and treble. The Dartzeel is neither of those. Its top and bottom extension and power are quite similar to my SET845. It's incredibly quiet and clean. Yet there is something that breaths a life about it. And that life is presented in a seductive way. It's not in your face like my tubes now seem to me. Its there in an unassuming way. Its just easy to get carried away.

Ultimately the Dartzeel will end up in a living room for daily use and the 845 will end up in a purpose built room.

It should also be noted my perception of the Dartzeel is by no means an absolute on how Dartzeel as a product may truely present. I am using a single ended tube preamp by First Sound to feed it. I believe it is a fantastic match, but I don't know if a Dartzeel preamp with 50 ohm connection might not yield more crack and whip to the playback. Maybe more top and bottom extension. And that will be the milion $ question for myself as I approach the point of having 2 separate rooms. I eventually need a second preamp. To Zeel or not to Zeel.
Rex

I.also added an edit to note, I really don't know if technically one is more correct than the other. My tube amp is basically a custom build. Its no longer a Black Shadow as the input had to be totally rebuilt and the output transformer was replaced with better. Maybe some of my perception of crack and whip is distortion or other issues associated with the original case, input transformer or who knows. I'm listening to the Dartzeel and Qobuz serves up A Great Miracle: Jeremiah Lockwood's Guitar Soli. Its flippin amazing. So alive and fresh sounding. As I said at Fremers, I could live with this.

Last edited:

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Some would say if you aren't doing both that you aren't doing either. ;)
Depends on the balance of the two. We all know being "gear oriented" can lead to audio neurosis and never being satisfied with what you have. But I suppose some folks like that about our hobby.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Depends on the balance of the two. We all know being "gear oriented" can lead to audio neurosis and never being satisfied with what you have. But I suppose some folks like that about our hobby.
And I am tired of the neurosis. I am still looking ay my DAC and phono preamp. Jesh, they sound great, but I could get more, right. It never stops. When is someone going to get me spun up on updating my Dartzeel to Model 2, or monoblocks for god sakes.

K3RMIT

Sep 4, 2020
Rex we as individuals must stop
this entire forum as great as it is does not allow one to conceive of happiness much less stop
the proof will be posted shortly by members lol.

Reactions: Lagonda

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I'm fortunate to have the opportunity to have both. I have always chased the most intense performance. That which I perceive as most alive and real. That has been a path of tubes. But I always wanted a system with less fuss. I also wanted less noise. No matter the tube amp, I end up with some amount of hum. Oddly, even thought the Dsrtzeel is absolutely dead quiet at the unit and out through the speakers, I wonder if I don't yearn for some noise as I spent years playing electric guitar. There may be an ingrained need for background growl in anticipation of the eruption of noise about to be let loose. Baaa what am I saying.

My tube preamp/amp combo from Octave is very quiet. No hum. No hiss whatsoever at the listening position. Only a very faint hiss when you lean your ear directly towards the tweeter.

rando

Sep 22, 2019

If he moves his listening room into a cave with constant temp/humidity/air pressure a single system might begin to fit every desire.

Continuing to refine displaces neurosis through solid determinations. Seemed obvious to me he is proving his theories for the new room or I would've made a more definitive opening statement. On the balance you refer to and not which of SS or tubes I feel is preferable.

Reactions: thedudeabides

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing