Do mains distribution blocks create a bottleneck?

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
So is it better to use a high- end distribution block, I'm thinking Entreq Atlantis Powerus or Dalby Celestial, instead of each component being plugged into it's own wall outlet...A wall outlet that might even have one dedicated strap straight to the junction box per outlet and be fused seperately on the main electrical board?

If you compare such an arrangement to a mains ditribution block with up to six source components and pre-amp, all being fed by the single power cable of the distribution block, aren't i just creating a bottleneck?

Or, am I an idiot?

Thanks in advance
gav Entrec-powerus.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

plasmod3

Aug 28, 2020
No bottleneck Gav if you use the right stuff. I wont mention brands but this is the critical step to get the right equipment. Most bottleneks are seen with the amps not with the source components. There are a few out that that distributes power without bottlenecking the amps though :)

Reactions: infinitely baffled

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
No bottleneck Gav if you use the right stuff. I wont mention brands but this is the critical step to get the right equipment. Most bottleneks are seen with the amps not with the source components. There are a few out that that distributes power without bottlenecking the amps though :)
Nice one, squire

?

plasmod3

Aug 28, 2020
you mean knight lol:) a squire serves another:)

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
In the english expression the Squire is/was a local landowner, magistrate etc.
Villagers would raise their hat, or tug a forlock in respect?
I guess the modern synonym might be 'boss'

If you're posting from the uk I'm going to feel silly

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
you mean knight lol:) a squire serves another:)
Can i be cheeky and ask about a component in your signature, namely your SGS grounding box?
When i see the word 'prototype' I'm always intruiged

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
I plug my “low draw“ components into my distribution block (pre, phono stage, CD player, clock and headphone amp) with mono amps directly into wall sockets. At most there will be 3 items powered via the distribution block at any one time.

plasmod3

Aug 28, 2020
Can i be cheeky and ask about a component in your signature, namely your SGS grounding box?
When i see the word 'prototype' I'm always intruiged
haha it is a prototype not out on the market as yet but Andrew has kindly build me one . It makes a good difference to the system here indeed . powered by a dc battery pack . Will you like me to you in touch with Andrew, he will be better to explain how it works . All i can say is it makes a difference and a large one at that for my system and to the liking of my ears

Sorry to be vague on details - I try very hard in my postings to be neutral so ppl can discover products as they hear them rather than be internally biased pre listen:) . I think as a member of the audiophile community, the worst thing is to plug a product and influence colouration of a view in order to sell something:) All i will say is - that grounding box is worth exploring:)

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
So is it better to use a high- end distribution block, I'm thinking Entreq Atlantis Powerus or Dalby Celestial, instead of each component being plugged into it's own wall outlet...A wall outlet that might even have one dedicated strap straight to the junction box per outlet and be fused seperately on the main electrical board?

If you compare such an arrangement to a mains ditribution block with up to six source components and pre-amp, all being fed by the single power cable of the distribution block, aren't i just creating a bottleneck?

Or, am I an idiot?

Thanks in advance
gav
IME, it can be done successfully (no bottlenecks) but the effort does require a bit of thought.

1. Whichever power distribution unit (PDU or power strip) you go with, I'd suggest it at least be hospital / audio grade components. And try to stay away from those PDU's that add more than just a PDU. IOW, if the PDU includes some special filtering, etc, there's no guarantee it works and often times cheap filtering actually makes things sound worse to some.

2. Ensure either the mfg'er cryo-treated the unit and if not find a reputable shop and have it done yourself. Regardless, ensure the cryo method used is the full-immersion method. If you have to have it done yourself send along all of your power cables, ic's, and sc's (speaker cables) at the same time. Oh, also send your wall outlets, plugs, IEC connectors/inlets, fuses, etc to be cryo-treated as well. It all matters much sonically.

3. Every circuit has its amperage limits. For the average joe in the states it's either 15 or 20 amp that we're dealing with. If you've got a single circuit outlet to plug the distribution center into , you need to add up the total amps all of your components running off that single circuit and you need to ensure that total does not exceed about 80% of that circuit's capacity. If you've got a high-current-drawing amp. Forget about it as the amp itself will require its own dedicated circuit.

4. The high potential of intermixing digital with analog componentry and sharing the digital's bi-directional noise with other components. Anything digital presumably induces a bi-directional audible digital noise and perhaps inaudible distortions as well. Bi-directional implying that the digital noise will go back up the AC power cable and some say and others comfirmed all the way back to the service panel and induces its harm going back out into your other components. It's a cancer really but not deadly - just frustrating. You'd be better served if had all of your digital plugged in some circuit elsewhere in the home to get them as far away AC-wise from each other and from the analog components. For me, I used passive, bi-directional-filtering, and dedicaated line conditioners that work quite well to resolve this issue.

FWIW, Class D amps though not digital will also induce a bi-directional digital-like noise so if per chance you've got Class D amps, from an AC perspective the amps should be thought of as digital components.

I happen to have Class D mono-block amps and superior line conditioners attached to each component. So in my case, provided my amps were somewhat medium or low current drawing, with this configuration I could put plug them all into a single power distribution unit using a single 20-amp circuit and not give it another thought. In fact, I've done this when exhibiting at several audio shows where most times, the exhibiting room consists of a single 20-amp circuit for the entire room.

Below is the unit I have on hand should I ever need it. Very simple, good quality components and it's cryo-treated by the mfg'er and I think it cost me all of about $250 about 12 years ago.
Power distribution unit.jpg

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
More info on Shakti's Furutech
Fairly awe inspiring ?

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
No they are not a bottleneck.

Having everything plugged into one place is best for grounds. However distribution blocks can cause their own problem with bad filters, exotic materials, and worst of all they create other problems with some ringing RF (that filters won't work on in a positive way). Sooo not everything is as it seems all the time.

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
I wíll mention a brand. Furutech pure power NCF 6E. If anything, it increases dynamics etc.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
I wíll mention a brand. Furutech pure power NCF 6E. If anything, it increases dynamics etc.
This thread has certainly placed the Furutech firmly on my radar

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
No they are not a bottleneck.

Having everything plugged into one place is best for grounds. However distribution blocks can cause their own problem with bad filters, exotic materials, and worst of all they create other problems with some ringing RF (that filters won't work on in a positive way). Sooo not everything is as it seems all the time.
Would you have any comments regarding the Entreq approach?

They have no filters and avoid the use of any magnetic material

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA

I am uninterested in their connector choices and "grounding" boxes.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Your all so focused on in front of the wall. What is behind the wall is way more important. You can use the nicest distribution strip plugged into the finest receptacle you can buy and it won't do anything if that receptacle is fed by a inwall 14 awg piece of romex. Even 12 awg romex is insufficient.

The real question is how many runs of dedicated high quaity 10 awg wire are needed to power my audio rack. If you pay to have your home infastructure done correct, you can toss out most high $ power cords as they serve little purpose now other than to shade the tone and deplete your bank account.

Stehno is mostly correct too. You have to consider cross equipment contamination. As well as equipment current draw.

A ground box is icing on the cake. It won't fix issues due to major infastructure issues such as a poorly grounded home or weak power delivery. And for god sakes, don't run a ground rod out to your yard for audio.

So to directly answer your question, what feeds that mains distribution block is the potential bottleneck. Not the block itself.

Reactions: Solypsa

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah

Under what circumstance would anyone consider paying thousands of dollars for a cat litter box with mystery litter in it :D? Then blow thousands more for cheap wires because they named them :rolleyes:? Answer; the high end asylumo_O!

david

• Wow
Reactions: valkyrie

rando

Sep 22, 2019
The real question is...

...how yard landscaping can best show off dedication to powering your home and home audio system(s)?

Reaching for WAF necessities like heating the pool in Winter or feline nature palaces would sure help justify the only real endgame item.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing