Do rich people work harder?

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
A very good acquaintance of mine is an attorney who represents the the super rich in Orange County. He said
in his opinion wealthy people work much harder...an average of 60-80 hours a week, while middle class people work
"only" 40 hours a week.

Any thoughts?

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
My observation about the "working wealthy" is that they do work relentlessly. However, they are also programmed to be workaholics and/or type A, many seem to enjoy it, even in stressful jobs. In order to have a full blown, successful career, one pretty much has to be willing to participate 24/24 and have enough energy and social skill to do what is required to maintain the human networks involved.

I don't have the desire to do those things obsessively, I am much too eclectic in my interests and frail in my energies, so I do not begrudge the working wealthy their perks.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
My observation about the "working wealthy" is that they do work relentlessly. However, they are also programmed to be workaholics and/or type A, many seem to enjoy it, even in stressful jobs. In order to have a full blown, successful career, one pretty much has to be willing to participate 24/24 and have enough energy and social skill to do what is required to maintain the human networks involved.

I don't have the desire to do those things obsessively, I am much too eclectic in my interests and frail in my energies, so I do not begrudge the working wealthy their perks.

I agree, but there are exceptions. I work that many hours, and I may be the poorest guy ever to grace this forum. I have a day job, plus the turntable job. I like the day job, and I am driven by the turntable job. They are both fun, so I have no regrets. Well, maybe I have a few regrets. ;)

mbskeam

Sep 28, 2012
some place in seattle area
A very good acquaintance of mine is an attorney who represents the the super rich in Orange County. He said
in his opinion wealthy people work much harder...an average of 60-80 hours a week, while middle class people work
"only" 40 hours a week.

I do think there is a difference when ya have a desk job VS a manual labor job.
while the desk job is more mental, I know that this can be tiring also, but when your on your feet 12 hrs doing physical labor it if it will wipe ya out if its done for months on end.....

40 hrs a week, yeah I wish...LOL I get that much in OT sometimes.....
when I say to people "I have no life" its kinda true....LOL
normal for me is off to work at 5am, get home about 7:30/8:00pm m-f and maybe an 8 on sat if I feel like slackin a bit....;)

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
i meet a lot of CEOs and decision makers in my business and a common denominator for the self-made types is that they're workaholics and mostly pretty smart as a whole. the wealthy slackers i've encountered usually inherit their job through nepotism and seem to be marking time just to collect a check.

im a desk jockey now and 60+ hrs a week is a cake walk compared the physicality of construction or similar labor - i know, i've done it, and 40 hrs is more than i could take.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
"only" 40 hours a week.

Any thoughts?

The rich definitely work harder than average, but thenagain, so do a lot of people. I'm in professional services and the number of road warrior consultant types I see around me clocking 60+ hours a week, and rarely see their kids is staggering. They all make decent money but none of them are rich. In fact, a lot of very hard working people are dirt poor.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
That's true, not everybody that works hard is rich, the well-to-do are a subset, but it is probably reasonably safe to say that most of the "working wealthy" types also work hard, or they are just lucky.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
-- Anyway, this is all very relative as some people work real hard all their life and they are poor, and on the other hand some get very rich by doing nothing (inheritance and collecting interests and dividends).

Yeah, of course, you also have some people who worked real hard and many hours a week and days a year, and they are rich too.

BUT! That hard work you put on is only reflected by what it brings to other people; in solid, beneficial, and honest life values.

Look, some mega investors work real hard, and started manual labour, and they are rich. But are they happy?

Some people are truly poor (below the poverty line) and ask nobody to support them, even from their government, but some of these people are rich spiritually, and very intelligent and knowledgeable.

At the end, being rich has nothing to do with the true value of your hard work and happiness,
it has to do with what you do with that money, how did you truly get it, and what it truly does to others around you. ...It ain't from the size of your bank accounts (wallets), or hard work that others are judging you (well, many do anyway), but the true critics are in harmony with generosity, equality, redistribution, helping the poor and the unfortunate.
...Keeping the economy rolling by reinvesting smartly (creating good jobs that make people happy).

Being an expert at EVERYTHING is being rich in knowledge, and knowing how to share that knowledge with others is the key to real success and happiness.

** With great powers (financial too) come great responsabilities.
...And some of them have to do with breaking the barriers between the riches and the poors. ...The only way to live in a healthy society. ...And giving the people in power (government, police, politicians, educators, etc.) an easier bill to do a better job for all.

Last edited:

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
My boss turned 84 this month. He came from a poor family and now worth a few hundred millions.. He comes to work at 7:00 am and leaves at 6:00 pm everyday, sometimes later. When he leaves office on Fridays, he will be carrying a lot of paperworks so he could go through them at his cottage on the weekend. He lives by himself, does his laundry and cooks his own meal. He also keeps a garden and plant potato, carrots etc. during the summer. Up to earlier this year, he still regularly take 3 -6 hour drives to visit his branches.. How he find the energy and the drive to work that hard, I don't know. He once told me "you cannot run a successful business working for only 8 hours a day". I proved him wrong because I only work 8:30 (mostly later) till 5:00 (sometimes earlier) but the company I run for him (which I am also a partner) is the most profitable and least problematic, so he leaves me alone.

It's funny, one day my boss would complain to me on a Friday afternoon " I don't know why but I'd been feeling really tired by the end of the week". I will just laugh and tell him " Dan, I am half your age and I work half as hard, I usually feel tired by Thursday."

This guy does not work hard now (at this point in his life) because he want to get richer - I know because he had been selling assets to employees at well below their actual value. He work hard because that's the only way he know how to work.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
My boss turned 84 this month. He came from a poor family and now worth a few hundred millions.. He comes to work at 7:00 am and leaves at 6:00 pm everyday, sometimes later. When he leaves office on Fridays, he will be carrying a lot of paperworks so he could go through them at his cottage on the weekend. He lives by himself, does his laundry and cooks his own meal. He also keeps a garden and plant potato, carrots etc. during the summer. Up to earlier this year, he still regularly take 3 -6 hour drives to visit his branches.. How he find the energy and the drive to work that hard, I don't know. He once told me "you cannot run a successful business working for only 8 hours a day". I proved him wrong because I only work 8:30 (mostly later) till 5:00 (sometimes earlier) but the company I run for him (which I am also a partner) is the most profitable and least problematic, so he leaves me alone.

It's funny, one day my boss would complain to me on a Friday afternoon " I don't know why but I'd been feeling really tired by the end of the week". I will just laugh and tell him " Dan, I am half your age and I work half as hard, I usually feel tired by Thursday."

This guy does not work hard now (at this point in his life) because he want to get richer - I know because he had been selling assets to employees at well below their actual value. He work hard because that's the only way he know how to work.

---- Thx for sharing, that is very cool.

BTW, what kind of business does your boss run? ...Funeral parlors, death insurances, some type of financial/banking investment advices?

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com

+1

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
I agree, but there are exceptions. I work that many hours, and I may be the poorest guy ever to grace this forum. I have a day job, plus the turntable job. I like the day job, and I am driven by the turntable job. They are both fun, so I have no regrets. Well, maybe I have a few regrets. ;)

I think I can safely say (that unless you're a homeless man living out of soup kitchens) that I am the poorest individual on this forum, having turned a gross of about $1500 this year, down from $3000 last year and $7000 the year before.

My take on it is wealthy people have a lot of 'nervous energy'. They can't keep still. They cram ever waking moment with some task. On top of that, they have refined social skills. They have connections. They also have the ability to focus on what matters--not necessarily what they, personally, are inspired by. I think there is also a love of money, a sense that money is an end in itself. The rich won't waste time associating with non-productive individuals. They hang out with their own kind, and their leisure is also business (how many business deals were made on the golf course?) Some, not all, of the wealthy, are unscrupulous and blunt. If you don't quite suite their needs, you're discarded like yesterday's trash.

That's my take on the rich, from the few times having dealt with them.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I think I can safely say (that unless you're a homeless man living out of soup kitchens) that I am the poorest individual on this forum, having turned a gross of about $1500 this year, down from $3000 last year and $7000 the year before.

My take on it is wealthy people have a lot of 'nervous energy'. They can't keep still. They cram ever waking moment with some task. On top of that, they have refined social skills. They have connections. They also have the ability to focus on what matters--not necessarily what they, personally, are inspired by. I think there is also a love of money, a sense that money is an end in itself. The rich won't waste time associating with non-productive individuals. They hang out with their own kind, and their leisure is also business (how many business deals were made on the golf course?) Some, not all, of the wealthy, are unscrupulous and blunt. If you don't quite suite their needs, you're discarded like yesterday's trash.

That's my take on the rich, from the few times having dealt with them.

MY take on the rich, while they are in their "accumulation" stage:

-The end justifies the means...

-Being "shrewd" is code for "bending the rules/selective dishonesty" in your favor

-Ruthlessness...without a hint of guilt. They sleep very well at night regardless..

-An absolute laser like focus

-Generally, an excellent ability to defer leisure time

-They are definitely willing to take risks

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
"only" 40 hours a week.

Any thoughts?

Andre, I hate to say this, BUT I don't think your attorney friend really knows the super rich at all. The super rich don't work , they have others that do that for them, LOL.;)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Andre, I hate to say this, BUT I don't think your attorney friend really knows the super rich at all. The super rich don't work , they have others that do that for them, LOL.;)

---- Exactemente! ...Not all of them but a very good bunch of them. :b

* The 'good' rich people they provide good honest jobs to a lot of people.
These same 'good' rich people they work real hard at making everyone happy around them.
So in essence they work for these same people to which they provided jobs in the first place.

Always surpass the one above you. And let the one behind you enough room to move ahead.

Nobody is slave to nobody. We are all equal and working TOGETHER for a better world for ALL.
That what seems to be the problem on this planet; too many empowered people think that they are rich/powerful/dominating/entitled enough to govern, dictate, impose, judge, and rule.
They forget the first law of man: share the wealth, give back what was given to you.

Hey, my kind of thread! :b

Last edited:

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I don't remember who, but there was an MIT professor some years ago who set up an economic model, kind of like the evolutionary models used by biological scientists.

He made his model with every individual of equal resources and capabilities i.e. he made his model non-individual specific and then varied economic conditions, geography, opportunity etc. and generated a distribution in which some individuals inevitably wound up wealthy and others poor, even though they were "equal" in the beginning conditions.

Given the vast variations in human energy, psychology, opportunity, personality etc. one could say that most wealth is luck and circumstance.

It is quite common to take the inductive approach and look at people who got rich and try to identify their "secrets" after the fact, and of course a lot of self anointed wags sell such scrutinies as if they are formulae for success extrapolation. That is not stochastically sound reasoning, however popular it might be to think that way.

Dumb luck just isn't what some people would like to believe. They want some kind of pre-ordination or a fantastic skill set that always works.

One might improve one's odds of gaining material wealth by working harder, but it is not a given or a slam dunk, it may just bump up the odds a bit. A lot of hard workers just like to work, or they like the work they do.

Rich [fill in the blank] are probably just [fill in the blank] who happened to get rich, it was not necessarily the reason or a requirement. There are a lot of poor [fill in the blank], too.

One might presume that Andre's wealthy individuals are the self made types rather than rich kids with advanced opportunities and inherited money. However, to complete the picture, one would have to also include the losers and the black swans. Nobody really cares about those, they are much less interesting or just deemed cosmic failures, even if they worked like dogs.

You can cite lottery winners. Lotteries encourage large numbers of people to engage in foolish, intemperate, self defeating gambling behaviors. However, these behaviors will make a random individual wealthy through no other work, skill or productive input except the tendency toward the intemperate behavior. However, the rich lottery winner is just as rich as the individual who "worked hard" for the money. The lottery winner, being most likely intemperate, stands a pretty good chance of losing the money again because the same behavior that caused him to win the lottery in the first place, can over time also cause him to lose his winnings, even large winnings.

A hard working individual may or may not become wealthy, but if he(she) does, they are less likely to lose the money and more likely to enhance their wealth. Then it is up to their children to lose the money for them.

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing