Doctor's Orders-Part Two-The New Listening Room Of Steve Williams

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Could you elaborate on the improvements that you are now hearing with the Lampi DAC
compared with the Playback Designs MPS-5? I've considered the PD MPS-8 but perhaps I should
explore the Lampi products. Enjoy what is no doubt an awesome system!

Dctom also had the same playback designs Steve had. Over three years ago I heard it and advised him to get the Lampi GG1, he tried it and immediately bought it, has it since

Edward Pong

Industry Expert
Jun 24, 2013
Locust Hill, Ontario
How do you know that it's truly time aligned and not 360 degrees out of phase?

The bass unit's crossovers have a tendency to delay the signal and put it out of phase with the other drivers.

I've read that there is no machine that can really measure this, it's done by human ear as a final check.
If it's out of phase, it will cancel the bass response, so your ears can really tell you everything...
For me, if it sounds natural...it's the "setting" for me.. I'm sure everyone prefers what they like so in audio, i feel there is really no absolute... as long as everything is working properly...

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
If it's out of phase, it will cancel the bass response, so your ears can really tell you everything...
For me, if it sounds natural...it's the "setting" for me.. I'm sure everyone prefers what they like so in audio, i feel there is really no absolute... as long as everything is working properly...

Barry Ober (The Soundoctor) was on the team that developed the JL Audio CR-1 and has written this extensive whitepaper about properly integrating subwoofers with an audio system. I've included a link pointing to the page dealing with the overview of why adding a subwoofer without a crossover is a bad idea. The article also includes why this phase alignment works.

http://www.soundoctor.com/whitepapers/subs.htm

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Could you elaborate on the improvements that you are now hearing with the Lampi DAC
compared with the Playback Designs MPS-5? I've considered the PD MPS-8 but perhaps I should
explore the Lampi products. Enjoy what is no doubt an awesome system!

after purchasing the Extreme and while exploring DAC options I was using the DAC from the PD MPS-5 for about 4 weeks and surprisingly the sound was very enjoyable and engaging. As stated my entire system is tube based and needless to say I lean towards tubes in my system.

When we placed the Pacific into the system and after tube burn in, I next tried to get a handle on the volume control on the Pacific. Lukasz in a post here suggested that the Pacific be played at full gain of 0 Db and use the gain on your preamp to dial in the desired volume. When I did it this way and using the standard KR242 I found the sound bright and using the gain control on my Lamm preamp I had to turn it all the way down to the second detente position and this tended to subdue the sound. I subsequently found that for my system the better way to go is to use the gain on my preamp and the volume control on the Pacific to tune the tubes. I did countless blind testing with lights out where I played with the gain control on both. Invariably after countless trials and then turning on the lights to see where the gain was on the Pacific it was almost always at or around -12Db. This is pretty much where I keep the Pacific setting and I find I am very satisfied. So what changed?

First and foremost were the dynamics and tonality which I have never heard equaled in my system. There was a sense of reality whichI have never experienced in my digital playback. I am convinced that not only was the Pacific a factor in this but so also was the Taiko Extreme contributing. I found the synergy between the 2 components mesmerizing. The sound stage was far more immersive. What also find ongoing is that the sound of the Pacific continues to settle in, so much so that as I have said here before I am completely happy with the KR242's and have yet to introduce the special RK-KR PX25 into the DAC. I will someday.

Cutting to the chase....My main source of listening heretofore was vinyl and tape. Since I had both the Extreme and Pacific combo I find that now I am listening mainly to the digital side of the system because not only does it sound so good but on occasion I would be hard pressed to differentiate it from analogue

This of course is my impression in my system and as they say YMMV

vrac

May 9, 2018
I figured there was a synergy with the Extreme. If your anything like me I assuming you have quite a collection of SACD discs. Are you somehow ripping the SACD layer of these discs onto the Extreme? If
so what would be the optimal method of doing so?
All the best. Stay safe!!!

Steve Williams

I figured there was a synergy with the Extreme. If your anything like me I assuming you have quite a collection of SACD discs. Are you somehow ripping the SACD layer of these discs onto the Extreme? If
Actually I have not been ripping these to the Extreme.

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
Thank you for the detailed follow up on your Pacific saga, Steve. What you are experiencing with regarded to the prolonged settling in period is something I myself and several customers have also noted. I generally don't make much mention of it as many people are burn in skeptics, but I have found that as good as the Pacific is after a few days of use, the improvements continue on into the first month or two.

We are thrilled the Pacific/Extreme combination is redefining your listening habits. LampizatOrs have converted many a digital-naysayer.

I will be interested in your thoughts when you do get around to the px25s.

Enjoy and be safe all!

Fred A.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I didn't know you could rip SACDs onto the Extreme's (or anyone's) files due to copyright protection. Is this even possible? (Or do you have to use some convoluted intermediate DA/AD device to do this?)

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
ps3?

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I didn't know you could rip SACDs onto the Extreme's (or anyone's) files due to copyright protection. Is this even possible? (Or do you have to use some convoluted intermediate DA/AD device to do this?)

google.....SACD....and ....Oppo....and you will get a PDF you can print out for using an Oppo BDP -103/105 to rip an SACD.

Last edited:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
after purchasing the Extreme and while exploring DAC options I was using the DAC from the PD MPS-5 for about 4 weeks and surprisingly the sound was very enjoyable and engaging. As stated my entire system is tube based and needless to say I lean towards tubes in my system.

When we placed the Pacific into the system and after tube burn in, I next tried to get a handle on the volume control on the Pacific. Lukasz in a post here suggested that the Pacific be played at full gain of 0 Db and use the gain on your preamp to dial in the desired volume. When I did it this way and using the standard KR242 I found the sound bright and using the gain control on my Lamm preamp I had to turn it all the way down to the second detente position and this tended to subdue the sound. I subsequently found that for my system the better way to go is to use the gain on my preamp and the volume control on the Pacific to tune the tubes. I did countless blind testing with lights out where I played with the gain control on both. Invariably after countless trials and then turning on the lights to see where the gain was on the Pacific it was almost always at or around -12Db. This is pretty much where I keep the Pacific setting and I find I am very satisfied. So what changed?

First and foremost were the dynamics and tonality which I have never heard equaled in my system. There was a sense of reality whichI have never experienced in my digital playback. I am convinced that not only was the Pacific a factor in this but so also was the Taiko Extreme contributing. I found the synergy between the 2 components mesmerizing. The sound stage was far more immersive. What also find ongoing is that the sound of the Pacific continues to settle in, so much so that as I have said here before I am completely happy with the KR242's and have yet to introduce the special RK-KR PX25 into the DAC. I will someday.

Cutting to the chase....My main source of listening heretofore was vinyl and tape. Since I had both the Extreme and Pacific combo I find that now I am listening mainly to the digital side of the system because not only does it sound so good but on occasion I would be hard pressed to differentiate it from analogue

This of course is my impression in my system and as they say YMMV

Wow!
That is a bold statement!!
Congrats and I'm glad you like your Pacific in combination with the Extreme so much :cool:

Steve Williams

Wow!
That is a bold statement!!
Congrats and I'm glad you like your Pacific in combination with the Extreme so much :cool:

IMO it is the magic of being able to use tubes in your DAC and then be able to tune the tubes with the DAC volume control as well as being able to rolll the tubes. I have had an all tube system now for over 15 years and I have never had the opportunity of hearing these high output tubes until now. The Pacific together with the Extreme creates a synergy in my system that is very rewarding, so much so that as I've said, it has changed the way I listen to music

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Steve,

have you had a chance yet to listen to your new Esturo Gold cartridge? i realize you are enjoying your new awesome digital combo. for myself, i listen to (and love) lots of digital even with my Etsuro Gold sitting there.......so fully understand if it's not been a priority.

still; you've had it a month or so and just wondered.

Steve Williams

Hi Mike

i so looked forward to hearing this cartridge in my system

It was to be mounted on my 10” Graham Phantom Elite we literally spent an entire day with the arm and cartridge. Finally we had to abandon attempts at mounting it as it was physically too light and incompatible with the Graham. I returned it to the dealer after much disappointment

So with every cloud there is a silver lining. I am going to sell the Graham Phantom Elite and have ordered an SME 3010R. For this I needed to order a different mounting plate from Tech Das which just arrived. I also have on order a VDH Master Signature Stradivarius which hopefully arrives this coming week so stay tuned. I was disappointed that the Etsuro was too light for the Graham arm

Reactions: jeff1225

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Hi Mike

It was to be mounted on my 10” Graham Phantom Elite we literally spent an entire day with the arm and cartridge. Finally we had to abandon attempts at mounting it as it was physically too light and incompatible with the Graham. I returned it to the dealer after much disappointment

So with every cloud there is a silver lining. I am going to sell the Graham Phantom Elite and have ordered an SME 3010R. For this I needed to order a different mounting plate from Tech Das which just arrived. I also have on order a VDH Master Signature Stradivarius which hopefully arrives this coming week so stay tuned. I was disappointed that the Etsuro was too light for the Graham arm

Steve,

thank you for the answer. sorry you could not hear the Etsuro Gold in your system.

maybe you already know this; but the Etsuro Gold is slightly heavier than the Vdh Master Signature. and i did have both on my CS Port turntable. i will watch for your perceptions about the MS.

and i realize that this was not necessarily a decision to go from the Etsuro Gold to the MS. i'd assume you returned the Etsuro Gold, decided to switch arms, and then settled on the MS. one cartridge is not really connected to the other. unless you say that they are.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Hi Mike

Steve,
I'm sorry the cartridge did not work out on your Graham. Did you try the Etsuro on the 3012R?

Steve Williams

Steve,
I'm sorry the cartridge did not work out on your Graham. Did you try the Etsuro on the 3012R?

Hi Jeff

Sadly we didn't but with the change of plans we will likely mount the MS on the 3012R and move the ZYX to the 3010R. We tried to mount the 3010R but even though the mounting board was specific for SME there is a different aluminum mounting frame for the SME arm which is necessary. When we tried to mount the 3010R where the Graham is the arm was about 2-3 mm too high. The new aluminum mounting frame from Tech Das takes this into consideration so I am hoping that by this time next week all problems will be solved

Reactions: jeff1225

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Hi Jeff

Sadly we didn't but with the change of plans we will likely mount the MS on the 3012R and move the ZYX to the 3010R. We tried to mount the 3010R but even though the mounting board was specific for SME there is a different aluminum mounting frame for the SME arm which is necessary. When we tried to mount the 3010R where the Graham is the arm was about 2-3 mm too high. The new aluminum mounting frame from Tech Das takes this into consideration so I am hoping that by this time next week all problems will be solved
Makes sense. Good luck Steve. You'll absolutely love the VDH with the SME 3012R, they seem to be a match made in heaven. The VDH I purchased from MikeL is singing beautifully, looking forward to your visit to the system once Covid has passed.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Makes sense. Good luck Steve. You'll absolutely love the VDH with the SME 3012R, they seem to be a match made in heaven. The VDH I purchased from MikeL is singing beautifully, looking forward to your visit to the system once Covid has passed.

Steve, I agree with Jeff. The vdH Master Signature sounds really good on a 3012R tonearm. I happen to think it also sounds really good on my SME V-12. I think van den Hul uses the SME V for some testing, at least photos from him show the cartridge on a modern SME arm. I suspect you will be very pleased with the Master Signature on your 3012R and I look forward to reading your impressions.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing