Doctor's Orders-Part Two-The New Listening Room Of Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
my experience with the dampers (similar to many other reports from users) is that improvement (or not) is dependent on too many factors to make a prediction without trying them. Tube type, specific tube (i.e., brand and type), mounting, circuit used, rectifier vs. output vs. input, etc all come into play
and here is a short follow up to this story.

I was talking to LeifS about his use of Herbie's rings

I was quite impressed as to the ability of these tube damping rings with respect to eliminating "ringing" The placement of damping rings along the fattest part of the tube as well as where the narrow bottom part of the tube joins the thick bottom part of the tube completely eliminated the ring as we'll as making listening more enjoyable , no fatigue and an improvement in sound quality. There seemed to be more air at the top and bottom making for cleaner and more distinct sound

Leif is a big proponent of these damping rings and said that I had to take the experiment one step further in the direction that he went

Leif said that also adding a 3rd set of rings at the top (cap) of the tube produced such a dramatic improvement that they were able to hear every change in the development of their Ultra 11 speaker as it was in production. Leif commented that the 3 rings on the output tubes was so dramatic that they simply could not listen without that 3rd ring

Interestingly enough I had planned for this possibility as Leif had put that bee in my bonnet when I bought my lampizator along with Marty who also uses them on his Lampi GG and feels that they are indispensable. Marty as well it turns out was also using 3 damping rings on his KR242's

So I went to school on their putt and ordered 3 extra rings for the tops of the KR242 and the RK-KR 5u4g. As it turned out I bout all 3 in the same size BUT the 3rd ring was just too small for the rectifier tube.

Applying these rings is quick, safe and simple and the auditory changes are heard immediately

So what was the revelation. For my ears I can honestly agree with Leif.as the addition of this 3rd ring made such an improvement from top to bottom. Of note was there was far less smearing or bloating in the bottom end.Simply put I have never heard bass in my system so clean, open and well defined.

So my final piece to the puzzle will be to see if I can order a proper size ring for the top the rectifier tube to see what additional (if any benefit) would be derived

Suffice it to say, the quick and simple application of Herbie's tube damping rings not only eliminated the ring (which I never knew I had until was proved to me) as well as cleaning up the sound

There is now a natural ease to listening. The sound is far more pleasant and my biggest concern in using these proved to be a non concern, to wit there is absolutely no overdamping of the sound or loss of sound quality.

This is a recommendation I would offer to any Lampi owners( or tube owners of all brands). In fact I am now tempted to add some rings to the large GM-70 tubes in my amplifier[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
and here is a short follow up to this story.

I was talking to LeifS about his use of Herbie's rings

I was quite impressed as to the ability of these tube damping rings with respect to eliminating "ringing" The placement of damping rings along the fattest part of the tube as well as where the narrow bottom part of the tube joins the thick bottom part of the tube completely eliminated the ring as we'll as making listening more enjoyable , no fatigue and an improvement in sound quality. There seemed to be more air at the top and bottom making for cleaner and more distinct sound

Leif is a big proponent of these damping rings and said that I had to take the experiment one step further in the direction that he went

Leif said that also adding a 3rd set of rings at the top (cap) of the tube produced such a dramatic improvement that they were able to hear every change in the development of their Ultra 11 speaker as it was in production. Leif commented that the 3 rings on the output tubes was so dramatic that they simply could not listen without that 3rd ring

Interestingly enough I had planned for this possibility as Leif had put that bee in my bonnet when I bought my lampizator along with Marty who also uses them on his Lampi GG and feels that they are indispensable. Marty as well it turns out was also using 3 damping rings on his KR242's

So I went to school on their putt and ordered 3 extra rings for the tops of the KR242 and the RK-KR 5u4g. As it turned out I bout all 3 in the same size BUT the 3rd ring was just too small for the rectifier tube.

Applying these rings is quick, safe and simple and the auditory changes are heard immediately

So what was the revelation. For my ears I can honestly agree with Leif.as the addition of this 3rd ring made such an improvement from top to bottom. Of note was there was far less smearing or bloating in the bottom end.Simply put I have never heard bass in my system so clean, open and well defined.

So my final piece to the puzzle will be to see if I can order a proper size ring for the top the rectifier tube to see what additional (if any benefit) would be derived

Suffice it to say, the quick and simple application of Herbie's tube damping rings not only eliminated the ring (which I never knew I had until was proved to me) as well as cleaning up the sound

There is now a natural ease to listening. The sound is far more pleasant and my biggest concern in using these proved to be a non concern, to wit there is absolutely no overdamping of the sound or loss of sound quality.

This is a recommendation I would offer to any Lampi owners( or tube owners of all brands). In fact I am now tempted to add some rings to the large GM-70 tubes in my amplifier
[/QUOTE]
Are you going to try rings on your Lamm’s?

Steve Williams

Well
Are you going to try rings on your Lamm’s?[/QUOTE]
Yes....

From my last post....

This is a recommendation I would offer to any Lampi owners( or tube owners of all brands). In fact I am now tempted to add some rings to the large GM-70 tubes in my amplifier

Steve Williams

Good question

No one ever speaks of that tube and TBH I have no clue what its function is

My initial purpose with these was to eliminate the ringing from the high gain tubes. It was a joy to discover that there was resultant improvement in sound quality

Steve Williams

Well it has been many weeks waiting for my final piece to my system and all I can say is that nothing with Fedex has been even close to being delivered on time. I sit and wait patiently for my new (NOS) arm, an SME 3010R and new VDH Colibri cartridge built with the latest specs. It has been over a 2 week wait and was to have arrived at my house 2 days ago however much to my amazement the arm and cartridge were never picked up by Fedex due to the CoVid slow down. I am told it will be picked up for certain today so I am hoping I should have them on Monday or Tuesday of this coming week

Until then the Graham 10" Phantom Elite and Ortofon MC Anna have been removed from my system in the anticipated arrival of the new arm and cartridge

BTW if anyone reading this is interested in the purchase of the Graham Phantom Elite arm and the MC Anna, please contact me as I will be listing these shortly for a quick sale. They have hardly been used and are in perfect condition

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Steve, Congratulations on the new and cartridge. I'll be curious to learn what you think of the combination. I have three questions. What kind of wood is that in the armboard and is it also in the rear armboard, and do you use the four rubber grommets when mounting the SME 3010R and 3012R arms between their bases and armboards?

Good luck with the sale of the Anna and Graham.

Steve Williams

Re wood. IIRC it is ebony but I might be wrong. It is the same wood in the rear arm board as well

I had to change this Graham SME arm board for an SME arm board which sits slightly higher than the one I removed

yes I use the 4 grommets so as not to over tighten

Reactions: jeff1225

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
can't wait to hear this new combo on your system Steve, I'm sure that you'll be extremely happy.

Reactions: PeterA

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Steve, I asked in one of the Lampi threads about the small tube in the Pacific. golum said it is a 6n6p and is used as an active load (~variable resistor) for the DHT tubes. I wonder why nobody has experimented with one of the EAT cool tube dampers for it?

Congrats on the new arm/cart. Shipping is painfully slow these days.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing