Doctor's Orders-Part Two-The New Listening Room Of Steve Williams

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
you live in one of my favorite states

At some point, you might be interested in trying the NOS Brimar 5R4GY recti. I suspect it’s in the same ballpark as the Philco. It’s unfortunately a touch dry for my tastes, missing a degree of sweetness that the United Electronics USAF 596 provides. However, it’s the quietist tube I’ve had in my system, which makes the clarity that comes with that hard to set aside. I got mine from the India seller on eBay who seems to have an enormous stock of old British era tubes.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
At some point, you might be interested in trying the NOS Brimar 5R4GY recti. I suspect it’s in the same ballpark as the Philco. It’s unfortunately a touch dry for my tastes, missing a degree of sweetness that the United Electronics USAF 596 provides. However, it’s the quietist tube I’ve had in my system, which makes the clarity that comes with that hard to set aside. I got mine from the India seller on eBay who seems to have an enormous stock of old British era tubes.
as I said, I am not a tube roller and my system has been alll tubes for well over 20 years. The only other interest I have is to compare the Philco to the Shuguang gz480. As for warmth the Philco has it but not to exaggerated amounts.

Edward Pong

Industry Expert
Jun 24, 2013
Locust Hill, Ontario
Interesting thread... many points of view.
My sense is natural is the perfect word to describe a sound, when one has arrived there.
My reference is the sound of the live concerts we put on. Certainly live sound, is "just there" nothing sticks out. Of course, the room acoustics plays a large part of what we "hear".
When we can capture the essence of that live event, it's "natural".... (nothing in audio can absolutely really EQUAL live - our ears are just too sensitive...)
That is the real beauty of tape, it can capture "all" (most) of all the sounds, from a whisper to a roar, in a linear fashion, with nothing "sticking out"
My 2c on "natural"... I love that term!

Ed

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
as I said, I am not a tube roller and my system has been alll tubes for well over 20 years. The only other interest I have is to compare the Philco to the Shuguang gz480. As for warmth the Philco has it but not to exaggerated amounts.
Is your Philco a straight or bottle shape, and what does the date code look like? I believe Philco tubes in 1946 were still being made by Sylvania (since the early 1930s). Some of the Sylvania Philcos had Sylvania code. I don't recall ever trying a Sylvania rectifier, but their 6F8G VT-99 was warm -- I use a pair in my preamp -- while shortie versions of its successor 6SN7, 1948 and 1951 production, which were very clear but not particularly warm. I've got a Chinese merchant checking on the GZ480 for me. Thanks,

Last edited:

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Thanks. What's the date code on the base? I'm guessing it's a letter and number.

dbdb

Dec 5, 2020
Sydney Australia
Hi Steve, I stumbled across your thread in my quest to learn more about acoustics for smaller rooms. I was very quickly hooked and have now read it all.
Congratulations on your fine system and room. I admire the approach you’ve taken to get the fundamentals right and then tune.
It’s great to read the stories of others enjoying your system (and company) too.
WBF seems like a great community.

Cheers, Dan.

Reactions: Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Hi Steve, I stumbled across your thread in my quest to learn more about acoustics for smaller rooms. I was very quickly hooked and have now read it all.
Congratulations on your fine system and room. I admire the approach you’ve taken to get the fundamentals right and then tune.
It’s great to read the stories of others enjoying your system (and company) too.
WBF seems like a great community.

Cheers, Dan.
Thanks Dan. It’s been a labor of love and a lifelong project

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
How can you own a Lampizator and not be a tube roller??

Steve Williams

The Shuguang gz480 has landed...

This is one beast of a looking tube. Much heavier than my other 5u4g tubes.

Packaged beautifully. From its size and weight I am betting on a longer break in before it opens up

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing