DOES ANYONE REGRET BUYING A TAIKO EXTREME SERVER? ANYTHING BETTER?

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Sorry, this thing is just plain ugly. Don't they have any taste?
Funny... a "Speed" dial, whatever the hell that is

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
maybe they were thinking 'Gaudi' ?

OTOH would not want that cathedral in my listening room. but do appreciate it as art.

Gaudi? Gaudi is sublime art, this on the other hand is an atrocity. But I suppose you were joking ;).

2ndLiner

Dec 16, 2015
I give them an “A” for effort! I find it more unusual looking than ugly and if I had the dough and found it to be sonically superior to competitors I would simply add a room to accommodate...

Last edited:

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
D2354AB1-719A-4E52-BA77-1C1A422C8AFC.png
Robert Koda looking for the secret ‘mecha anime transformer’ command... I think it’s behind the eject button...

D6EC9FCA-53B9-498F-81A8-D76C00E598C4.jpeg

DoctorWhy

Dec 5, 2020
I give them an “A” for effort! I find it more unusual looking than ugly and if I had the dough and found it to be sonically superior to competitors I would simply add a room to accommodate...
HA! You'd need a second house!!!

Reactions: 2ndLiner

DoctorWhy

Dec 5, 2020
It looks like it weighs more than Robert Koda!

Reactions: Al M.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Reactions: the sound of Tao

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Reactions: 2ndLiner

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I personally don't think most audio gear is "beautiful".
I can't say that my CH m1.1/T1/X-1 stack is beautiful and the Wadax or MSB or dCS etc. is ugly. They are to me all boxes of electronics some better designed than others but the way I listen the gear is out of my eye sight and I care about the end result and if I can afford it :) We are told that form sometimes comes from function. Wadax certainly has its own look but in audio what doesn't?
If it was clearly better and I could spend the cash then I would buy it. Period
I have two friends one has the MSB and another the dCS with all the toys and both of their systems sound great. I have the CH however the logistics of hearing them all in one place at the same time are just not possible. I hope I get the chance to hear the Wadax in the near future here since I am extremely curious to hear what they have done.
I would love to see a survey of all the WBF members of what they consider good looking audio is. That could be fun !

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Sorry, this thing is just plain ugly. Don't they have any taste?
Looks like a box where a Klingon would store his shaving kit ! :rolleyes:

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Robert Koda gear has a very refined aesthetic, it would be interesting to know what he is actually thinking as he is looking in that pic. The Wadax is classic post-modernist... which as a style often uses a series of shapes (too many) that don’t necessarily work together or harmonise completely... often busier than it needs to be... as opposed to modernism where mostly only what is needed is there and unnecessary complexity is not aimed for.

Post-modernism tended to use shapes for shapes sake as a way of filling the spaces or making a statement. Overly complex and layered and at times exaggerated forms with showy/expensive metal finishes and the use of over-scaled objects was also part of the movement.

Excess, expense and status could often be drivers in the style as well. Machine as toy was a classic post-modern move as well. Post modern is hard to do well and pull it off in a balanced way. People who aren’t strong at controlling form-making often find post modern complexity easier to apply. Yet to get rightness in flow form and fit with complexity is actually much harder to do (see Mother Nature who is the queen of complex flow, form and fit... chaos smoothed after much time) or Kandinsky perhaps.

If it (post-modernism) is happening now it is more likely to be coming from an engineer rather than an industrial designer... contemporary design is closer to modernism where functional process is a step to get though to final form, whereas back in the 80’s and 90’s post modern complexity was the dominant design move and tended towards form over function rather than the other way round.

Last edited:

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Probably looking for his shoes :)

Reactions: Lagonda

wil

Jul 22, 2015
I can't say that my CH m1.1/T1/X-1 stack is beautiful and the Wadax or MSB or dCS etc. is ugly. They are to me all boxes of electronics some better designed than others but the way I listen the gear is out of my eye sight and I care about the end result and if I can afford it :) We are told that form sometimes comes from function. Wadax certainly has its own look but in audio what doesn't?
I have two friends one has the MSB and another the dCS with all the toys and both of their systems sound great. I have the CH however the logistics of hearing them all in one place at the same time are just not possible. I hope I get the chance to hear the Wadax in the near future here since I am extremely curious to hear what they have done.
I would love to see a survey of all the WBF members of what they consider good looking audio is. That could be fun !
The way I would distinguish the aesthetics of CH box and the Wadax:

The CH is just a simple utilitarian box meant to efficiently house all the electronics. I don't believe it's beautiful by any means, but it get's the job done without drawing too much attention to itself.

The Wadax, by contrast, looks like a great deal of effort went into making it look like something very much more than a box. On that count, they emphatically succeeded, however in doing so produced (imo) a grand eyesore.

It may be a great piece of electronics and if you don't like the way it looks, just build a little closet for it. Problem solved!

But I do appreciate it when a designer manages to produce an elegant blend of electronic function and visual-tactile aesthetics. The above mentioned Audio Note Kondo designs are a great example of this, imo.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States

The CH is just a simple utilitarian box meant to efficiently house all the electronics. I don't believe it's beautiful by any means, but it get's the job done without drawing too much attention to itself.

The Wadax, by contrast, looks like a great deal of effort went into making it look like something very much more than a box. On that count, they emphatically succeeded, however in doing so produced (imo) a grand eyesore.

It may be a great piece of electronics and if you don't like the way it looks, just build a little closet for it. Problem solved!

But I do appreciate it when a designer manages to produce an elegant blend of electronic function and visual-tactile aesthetics. The above mentioned Audio Note Kondo designs are a great example of this, imo.

Nobody has mentioned the most essential Wadax accessory. Audiophile grade.

PAPER-BAGS-BAGSK1657.jpg

marmota

Feb 3, 2016

I really like the appeareance of CH Precision gear, in my opinion, the chassis design is functional, simple and solid, yet with subtle unique details that give the "boxes" a definite identity, such as the very light blue-silver anodizing. Amazingly, they manage to do it in a consistent, repeatable fashion. I have not seen anyone complaining about their multiple stack CH Precision being of slightly different colors, which is amazing considering that is not just silver or black, but a very specific silver with shades of light blue (and anodized, not a paint job).
I think that, apart from the physical design, there's a poetic beauty about the fact of delivering such a bespoke result with that level of consistency.

Other gear whose physical design I really like are Robert Koda preamps and phono and the Arai Laboratory MT-1 step up transformer. Again, simple and clean lines, yet with a clear identity.

Last edited:

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012

The Wadax Atlantis series is much more conventional looking.
DAC-01s.jpg
WADAX-Atlantis-Digital-Line.png

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing