Does Anyone Understand the ELAC speaker designs that make them sound so competitive to Wilsons and Magicos (and even better than these at shows)?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Anyone understand the design choices ELAC has made?

And I never heard either magico or wilson sound as good as ELAC at shows, although I have no doubt magico and wilson would be better in a perfect room. Andrew Jones constantly gets applause at his show demos.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Caesar, that was me...for the £400 B5.
With big Wilsons next door, Magicos and KEF Muons at the same show doing nothing to deserve the same.

Duke LeJeune

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Jul 22, 2013
Princeton, Texas
In my opinion, Andrew Jones does an exceptional job of getting the basics right.

And in my opinion, he doesn't compromise on the basics for the sake of the esoterics.

Stereophile has published measurements on three of Andrew Jones' Elac designs, three of his TAD designs, and one of his Pioneer designs. If you take a look, you'll see smooth frequency responses especially through the midrange and lower treble regions; generally well-behaved off-axis response, especially through that same region; and nothing exotic going on in the time domain (the step response reveals obvious arrival time differences between the drivers). Imo these are indications of an emphasis on "getting the basics right".

Andrew does one thing which is arguably somewhat esoteric: He often uses proprietary coaxial mid/tweet drivers, which have some inherent advantages over more conventional separate mid and tweet configurations. That being said, two of the Elac designs Stereophile reviewed are conventional two-ways, so imo his mojo is not so much in what parts he uses but in how he uses them.

If you want to have a highly successful loudspeaker company, the thing to do is kidnap Andrew Jones and throw him in a dungeon full of drivers and crossover parts. You probably wouldn't even have to lock the door.

Last edited:

Hydrology

Sep 14, 2020
ELAC Germany speakers = amazing.
ELAC Andrew Jones speakers = meh
And I sell both.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hydrology, you're not making yself clear.
Elac Germany = Elac Andrew Jones = Elac Fantastic Speakers.
At the Windsor show 3 years ago, imho they beat the floorstanding Wilsons next door and the Muons down the hall.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
a company who design and manufacture in Germany

So some fictional thing? Ok. One certainly wouldn’t think you sell them with such a reply.

One would expect a link or something, since it’s basically impossible to get search results for some Elac from Andrew Jones.

Hydrology

Sep 14, 2020
So some fictional thing? Ok. One certainly wouldn’t think you sell them with such a reply.

One would expect a link or something, since it’s basically impossible to get search results for some Elac from Andrew Jones.

I didn’t think I would have to explain who ELAC was to an industry affiliate, but in the interests of your trolling, go to www.ELAC.com and look at the Vela or 500 Series range. Or even better, go have a listen to said speakers.

Hydrology

Sep 14, 2020
Hydrology, you're not making yself clear.
Elac Germany = Elac Andrew Jones = Elac Fantastic Speakers.
At the Windsor show 3 years ago, imho they beat the floorstanding Wilsons next door and the Muons down the hall.

By they, could you specify this model?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Elac B5 Debut Series from 2017 or 2018.

Reactions: Hydrology

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I didn’t think I would have to explain who ELAC was to an industry affiliate, but in the interests of your trolling, go to www.ELAC.com and look at the Vela or 500 Series range. Or even better, go have a listen to said speakers.

So it’s just a different series... that is even more confusing to your post. It sounded like it was just an unfortunate same name situation.

Gene 15352

Feb 18, 2013
Canada
Anyone actually audition these Concentro M or know the sonic signature of them? Thanks.

gadawg58

Apr 7, 2018
Being a long time Wilson owner I’d suggest that with as involved as the setup is for most Wilson speakers ... neither the room or the appropriate setup is really able to be done at most shows. I think other speakers are simply more tolerant of setup/room quirks which often makes them easier to show quickly. Heck I own Alexx’s and have never heard a Wilson at a show I would buy.

George

Gene 15352

Feb 18, 2013
Canada
Interesting reflections Hydrology. What speakers do you currently have? Thanks.

Gene 15352

Feb 18, 2013
Canada
Stunning Hydrology. Clean, elegant system and what a beautiful room!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing