Does "competes with much more expensive" actually exist?

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
No it was just insight. Or maybe not because it is too obvious to be an insight

Of course it was supposed to be an insight, that was obvious, but it's still a sort of funny statement.

prerich

May 21, 2012
How dare you say that? They are irrefutable dogma, the evidence of which is plain to see for anyone with ears to listen!
However those very ears are flawed by age and other health factors. Causes me to wonder do any of us really hear the exact same thing? Maybe we need to present an audiologist report before our comments so people can get a gist of where we're at in our ability to perceive sonics?

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
These generalizations are so broad as to virtually guarantee their inaccuracy.
Late to this thread, came across it looking for something tangentially related.

Ron's quote caught my eye and made me smile (thanks Ron). Said a bit differently, "Broad generalizations virtually guarantee their inaccuracy" can be applied to so much in our world including politics, religion, sports, our Constitution and of course, audio.

As I tell my kids, coworkers, managers and mentees - the devil is always in the details. Chose your words appropriately integrating them.

And Happy Listening and Happy Holidays!

Steve

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
In my opinion the Tannoy Westminster Royal GR competes (on sonics, not on contemporary visual design) with much more expensive loudspeakers. Thanks to JimFord here I have come to have enormous respect for this speaker.

I think the entire WBF Long Beach Audio Group agrees with this view.

not only was Jim’s system excellent but he is a foodie, his wife is Japanese and he has a Japanese friend who is a sushi chef and runs the restaurant Dakara sushi. The chef Jason’s wife is cooking in the kitchen as Jason rolls out the goodies

Ron, Jim, and I went there for lunch and Jim requested the chef to “do his thing”. We had one after the other sashimi, sushi, hand rolls, roll out and with each bite the hifi search paid off.

in London Yashin was excellent pre pandemic and Umu is very good, Nobu is average, and Dakara in comparison was stellar

strongly recommend to anyone visiting LA. Thought I would put it on this thread as Jim was mentioned and the thread title will ensure all regular readers see it

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing