Does Music Have To Sound Real To Elicit Emotion

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Some post by Tima about our brains made mine stir. If my reference for music is a radio. And a crappy one at that. But I have all sorts of good time, bad times associated to events and music of the time played over a junk system, why wouldn't that same music over an Alexa not stir an emotional reaction.

I don't know where this idea music has to be real or natural or believable to elicit emotions came from. Or maybe I'm misinterpreting. Maybe no one said that. But if it has been said, and people are striving for natural or real, where did the idea that would make the music emotional come from. Doesn't the emotions associated with music come from the events that were tied to the music. And those events might be tied to a really bad car stereo. Wouldn't then music played over a system that mimics the era of my life associated with deep feelings rise forth better when played back by a similar system.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
No, music doesn't have to sound real to elicit emotion. You're correct, an AM radio or a mediocre car stereo can do that. As long as it's a case of sins of omission vs obnoxious ear-hurting sound music is music. People have been enjoying recorded music for over 100 years, from the primitive days of phonograph to MP3 playback on crappy earbuds. Some elitist snobs will tell you different of course, and obviously as audiophiles we enjoy many aspects of music reproduction, but no system sounds real so I would say it's all about delivering the emotion of the music. Anyone who proclaims that their system does it better than anyone else's is either delusional or trying to sell you something.

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
No, music doesn't have to sound real to elicit emotion. You're correct, an AM radio or a mediocre car stereo can do that. As long as it's a case of sins of omission vs obnoxious ear-hurting sound music is music. People have been enjoying recorded music for over 100 years, from the primitive days of phonograph to MP3 playback on crappy earbuds. Some elitist snobs will tell you different of course, and obviously as audiophiles we enjoy many aspects of music reproduction, but no system sounds real so I would say it's all about delivering the emotion of the music. Anyone who proclaims that their system does it better than anyone else's is either delusional or trying to sell you something.
Well said!

Reactions: rubinken

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Some post by Tima about our brains made mine stir. If my reference for music is a radio. And a crappy one at that. But I have all sorts of good time, bad times associated to events and music of the time played over a junk system, why wouldn't that same music over an Alexa not stir an emotional reaction.

I don't know where this idea music has to be real or natural or believable to elicit emotions came from. Or maybe I'm misinterpreting. Maybe no one said that. But if it has been said, and people are striving for natural or real, where did the idea that would make the music emotional come from. Doesn't the emotions associated with music come from the events that were tied to the music. And those events might be tied to a really bad car stereo. Wouldn't then music played over a system that mimics the era of my life associated with deep feelings rise forth better when played back by a similar system.
If that was true then why do you bother with electricity?

Natural sound is very much predicated on emotional experience and connection to music, not system! Without it natural sound doesn’t exist and different from real. Don’t confuse association of a song with a moment in time with natural sounding system. Do you need a big system to experience natural sound or enjoy music, absolutely not. In fact a big system is very complex to get right it can become an obsession, a burden and a source of misery if it’s poorly conceived and/or setup. A good FM signal in an empty cargo van can sound incredibly natural and emotionally satiating because of the van’s acoustics. A higher end natural sounding system will bring more realism to the experience. Unlike what’s claimed above there’s a big difference between natural and hifi sound, some systems sound better and more natural than most others, they just haven’t experienced it. And no, I’m not trying to sell you anything.

david

Reactions: Rensselaer and tima

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I tend to think it’s more about the music and the performance than it is about the quality of the audio presentation. But I also think it depends somewhat on the individual and whether or not he or she has heard the same favorite music on different levels of presentation.

I love listening to my old CDs in my truck, the same ones I listened to doing all nighters in grad school at my drafting table. Great music lots of emotions. My kids love listening to their country music over their iPhones.

A buddy of mine who’s been following my system for at least ten years seems to have a more emotional connection to the music as my system has improved. Hearing it recently encouraged him to take up the guitar again because he became so emotionally involved. I’ve seen him much more overwhelmed emotionally recently than he ever was years ago listening to the exact same recordings in the same room over different systems.

I don’t know the answer to your question. Most of us here seem to want to improve the presentations of our audio systems. There must be a reason for that. I prefer listening to a Bach cello suite on my system at home more than I do on my truck radio, but they are both wonderful emotional experiences.

The other thing I am noticing is that once people reach a certain level, they stop worrying about their systems and focus more on music collecting or simply enjoying what they have.

For some audiophiles, reaching that level may take years and thousands of dollars. For most everyone else, it’s simply getting a digital streaming device that can deliver their music to them.

The people who seem most emotionally engaged are the ones listening to live music: the kids at a country concert in Nashville, the couples sipping martinis at the Rainbow Room, an audience at Evensong in Oxford, and the folks filling the great concert halls of the world.

Last edited:
Reactions: tima, Lee and ddk

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Some live music is emotionally involving for me. It effects my body, mind and spirit. I enjoy the emotional connection. When I’m listening to music on my system I desire a similar experience. That’s the sound I’m seeking. If not, then something in my system needs to change …

Of course, emotions are dependent upon various outside factors that happen during the rest of our day, as well. If it’s tax season or COVID I will have different emotions. However, normally I expect an emotional connection.

jbrrp1

Aug 3, 2020
I think I have had really transcendent, ecstatic emotional musical experiences listening to a pretty poor sounding clock radio. Time, place, mental state... But I have found that as my stereo improved in its presentation, more pieces seem to trigger a deeper emotional response. So, it doesn't HAVE to sound "real", but I think it helps if it does.

Reactions: MadFloyd

facten

Feb 13, 2022
Tennessee
For me there is certain music that regardless of where I am listening to it brings back a memory, it may bring a smile to my face, or maybe a bit of sadness. There is other music that simply draws me into it, a non-memory emotional connection. For me the emotional connection is enhanced by listening to it in the best system I have; more of everything in the recording is revealed eliciting a more impactful connection.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I think Music is the one of the ways we express emotion. It is the music not the gear. The ability to make you feel isn't connected to the sound system. Music on your car radio or in a film or on TV can convey emotion even when we really aren't really thinking its there.

My easiest example is watching something on a regular TV with maybe 10 bucks of speakers inside. The sounds and music that are there behind the picture and dialogue can easily express sadness, terror, fear, joy etc.

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
If that was true then why do you bother with electricity?
Sorry I missed this analogy, can you elaborate?

Unlike what’s claimed above there’s a big difference between natural and hifi sound, some systems sound better and more natural than most others, they just haven’t experienced it.
Sorry don't agree. You trying to tell someone else what sounds good, natural, better is ridiculous. I guess anyone can say this.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Sorry I missed this analogy, can you elaborate?
Ask Rex he knows what I meant it’s his side of the industry.
Sorry don't agree. You trying to tell someone else what sounds good, natural, better is ridiculous. I guess anyone can say this.
I didn’t tell anyone what sounds good only defined natural sound as I know it! You’re entitled to your opinion and as you mentioned anyone can say anything but one should at least have a clue of the concept and sound in question before dismissing it!

david

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
I didn’t tell anyone what sounds good only defined natural sound as I know it! You’re entitled to your opinion and as you mentioned anyone can say anything but one should at least have a clue of the concept and sound in question before dismissing it!
My point exactly. You trying to tell others they should "have a clue of the concept and sound in question before dismissing it!" is ridiculous. Your view of concept and sound is based on your views. There is no one view for everyone.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I had 2 emotional outpouring in front of my system in the last month or so. It was at a point my system had clicked. It was all coming together as it stands today. I am at this time quite stunned at its level of play.
One was an album I did not know. I just got it. I was grooving to the drumming in a Caribbean piece and got into an air drum frenzy imaging I was there and a part of the band. It was so real. So tangible. All of a sudden I was laughing out loud. Very cathartic.

The other time was Cat Stevens Father and Son. Again, I was so shocked at the level of playback. In a way I was mesmerized and I let myself be taken into the song. In there I touched on the words and inner battle Fathers and Sons bring and this time started bawling as I brokenly sang along.

The other 2 time were other stereo. An Elvis song where his voice was so real I just teared up. (Lansche Audio Plasma). No understanding why. The other, massive horns and Dylan Blowing In the Wind. It was so big and real I connected with Dylans emotions. I could hear what he was feeling and why he wrote it in a way I have not with smaller system. And I emotionally clicked with the words.

There are some songs I hear on the radio/car stereo that illicit a deep reaction. Usually to some girl I loved as a kid and the deep angst that can occur at that time of life. I generally just turn those songs off as I don't want to go there.

I am not fully sure why I try so hard to have my stereo play at a high level. I never started with an idea that somehow it would create emotional moments. That I have had a couple is more a bonus. It's probably more related to my internal psychology. When I was a field hand in the union, I always wanted to be faster and output higher quality work than anyone else. If I saw someone getting a floor done quicker than me, I observed their work and did what I could to up my game. Its a bit of competitive nature like an athlete stuffing a ball past the other team. There is that, and some other reason I don't quite know I fully understand/realize. I can't quite put my finger on it.

Reactions: Bobvin

Blackmorec

Feb 1, 2019

There are too many sources of and influences on emotion and too many definitions of ‘real’ to answer that question
An emotion may be influenced by:
The triggering of a specific memory or situation
The feelings a tune or song spontaneously generates
An association of a song with specific events
The way you happen to be feeling at the time
Your circumstances at the time of listening

The concept of real is very tightly connected to memory and to your brain’s ability to process sound. In the same way a video or TV picture can look more or less ‘real life’ so can music sound more ‘real life’ on the basis of how well recorded and engineered the original and how well replayed the recording.

Real may mean, amongst other things:

Sounds like the original performance
Sounds like the listener subconsciously believes sounds ’real‘, i.e in the music’s creative moment”
Record engineering that mimics the acoustics of a real Instrument playing in a real venue
Music that sounds like its being spontaneously created in the moment

Something can sound ‘real’ although you may never have heard it before in its original form so have no direct comparison. What real actually means is music that hits all the pleasure centres and requires no effort to process the necessary compensation when something sounds un ‘real’ ie has disturbing elements that sound unnatural.
Electronic music can sound ‘real’ although its entirely synthetic. Indeed one of the most appealing aspects of electronic music is that it can sound extremely musical with tones and harmonic profiles that sound most gratifying on a highly revealing system. I know some people can‘t stand electronic music but that doesn’t say it can’t sound great if you’re so inclined.

IME, the better and more sonorous a system sounds, ie the fewer errors and deviations from perfect, the more effectively and intensely all the above is felt.

Last edited:

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Music is a recording of emotions, so we believe that you can enjoy it even on crappy radio. Someone can even whistle a melody that will bring you some memories.

The quality of the audio setup is important because it helps elevate the emotions you receive from music.

Reactions: Audire

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
My point exactly. You trying to tell others they should "have a clue of the concept and sound in question before dismissing it!" is ridiculous. Your view of concept and sound is based on your views. There is no one view for everyone.
Cool your heels and read what I said before dragging the thread down, I don’t care to exchange you with this tone. If you have something to discuss do it rationally.

david

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I think a level of high quality playback can shock a listener out of reality and into a space with the music where the intent of the artist has a chance to dwell up emotions. This can happen any time with any old radio. But a heaping dose of HIFI clarity and bass gusto or a Natural sound might help loosen ones attachment to reality for a moment and let them move to other places in their mind.

If I think back hard, I do believe my very first system of Sonus Faber Liuto, Rega Osiris, RP6, Fono a pretty hifi sounding system IMO stirred me a couple times playing Skynrd Simple Man.

Last edited:

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
Cool your heels and read what I said before dragging the thread down, I don’t care to exchange you with this tone. If you have something to discuss do it rationally.

david
Sorry you interpreted my reply as not being rational. That is not how I wrote it or my intent. Please don't read it that way.

Reactions: ddk

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Sorry you interpreted my reply as not being rational. That is not how I wrote it or my intent. Please don't read it that way.
I appreciate this, very much! My understanding the concept basically meant we have to know what we’re discussing before arguing or we’ll get nowhere. Please quote directly from my post and I’ll try to expand on what was said.

david

Blackmorec

Feb 1, 2019
I had 2 emotional outpouring in front of my system in the last month or so. It was at a point my system had clicked. It was all coming together as it stands today. I am at this time quite stunned at its level of play.
One was an album I did not know. I just got it. I was grooving to the drumming in a Caribbean piece and got into an air drum frenzy imaging I was there and a part of the band. It was so real. So tangible. All of a sudden I was laughing out loud. Very cathartic.

The other time was Cat Stevens Father and Son. Again, I was so shocked at the level of playback. In a way I was mesmerized and I let myself be taken into the song. In there I touched on the words and inner battle Fathers and Sons bring and this time started bawling as I brokenly sang along.

The other 2 time were other stereo. An Elvis song where his voice was so real I just teared up. (Lansche Audio Plasma). No understanding why. The other, massive horns and Dylan Blowing In the Wind. It was so big and real I connected with Dylans emotions. I could hear what he was feeling and why he wrote it in a way I have not with smaller system. And I emotionally clicked with the words.

There are some songs I hear on the radio/car stereo that illicit a deep reaction. Usually to some girl I loved as a kid and the deep angst that can occur at that time of life. I generally just turn those songs off as I don't want to go there.

I am not fully sure why I try so hard to have my stereo play at a high level. I never started with an idea that somehow it would create emotional moments. That I have had a couple is more a bonus. It's probably more related to my internal psychology. When I was a field hand in the union, I always wanted to be faster and output higher quality work than anyone else. If I saw someone getting a floor done quicker than me, I observed their work and did what I could to up my game. Its a bit of competitive nature like an athlete stuffing a ball past the other team. There is that, and some other reason I don't quite know I fully understand/realize. I can't quite put my finger on it.
Hi Kingrex,
I would like you to make 2 lists
1. All the attributes of your hi-fi and music collection that you love
2. All the personal, internal and mental benefits you get from your system.
A competitive nature says that you have the necessary drive to get what you want. How much do you want everything in lists 1 and 2 ?
Then there’s the addiction aspect. Imagine if you had to do without your system for a week, a month? How would you feel? How big will be the craving days before you get it back after A MONTH . Then finally its back! How’s that first ‘fix’ going to feel? Ahhhhhhhh Bliss.
A bigger ‘fix’ is another powerful incentive. What’s wonderful about hi-fi is that every fix is beneficial

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing