Does Step up transformer affect the Sound Quality?

Sangbro

Dec 19, 2020
Hello,

I find an interesting DAC oversea, and want to use it at home. (US)
I’m wondering if using Step-down transformer affect Sound Quality.

Here are the specification.

1) DAC

- Power Supply: Factory set to either 100-120. 220-240V AC 50/60Hz
(It is set for 220-240V, with Type F consent type, widely used in Europe/Eastern Asia countries)
- Power Consumption: 6.5W typical, 50W maximum

2) Transformer (Step-up, right?)
So, I’m thinking about this Step up Transformer from Accupower.
https://acupwr.com/collections/step...20-volts-to-220-240-volts-step-up-transformer
- 500W capacity for overkill.
- If you know any better company, please share. As far as I know this is the best quality I can get in the states.

My question is, can this transformer affect the sound quality? (In a bad way?)

(I know the voltage goes up and down from the plant to my home, still not sure using the relatively small transformer unit
right before the unit... Can this create kind of noise?)

Do you have any experience?

Thank you! Happy holidays.

djsina2

May 30, 2019
I use a Hammond step down isolation transformer for my amp and phono pre. I don’t notice any difference between that and other gear I’ve had which is native US voltage. I asked the manufacturer of my gear before I purchased it and he also said it will make no difference.

Reactions: Sangbro

Sangbro

Dec 19, 2020
I use a Hammond step down isolation transformer for my amp and phono pre. I don’t notice any difference between that and other gear I’ve had which is native US voltage. I asked the manufacturer of my gear before I purchased it and he also said it will make no difference.
Thank you for sharing the experience. I thought that Hammond is B2B.
I will ask the transformer manufacturer too, yet, honestly I was worried that the manufacturer might do not care very small difference (which is a big deal for me) of sonic character.

djsina2

May 30, 2019
Thank you for sharing the experience. I thought that Hammond is B2B.
I will ask the transformer manufacturer too, yet, honestly I was worried that the manufacturer might do not care very small difference (which is a big deal for me) of sonic character.

You can buy Hammond from dealers, but yes, Hammond will not sell directly to you.

I trust the opinion of Imai from Audio Tekne. He’s a well respected designer and if he says it is fine I believe him.

Sangbro

Dec 19, 2020
You can buy Hammond from dealers, but yes, Hammond will not sell directly to you.

I trust the opinion of Imai from Audio Tekne. He’s a well respected designer and if he says it is fine I believe him.
I agree. I think as long as transformer has enough capacity, then there would be no problem at all (no weird noise, jitter.)

In Asia, Japanese stuff (this I understand) have really attractive price, especially in person. Accuphase is a true gem in here.
Also, somehow (this I don’t understand) some European products (UK specially) are way cheaper than the US MSRP.
Some popular UK products are at least 25%-30% cheaper than pre tax price. And if you buy some volume, there would be more discount.

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
it definitely does. don't use a transformer it kills dynamics. try to get the same DAC with 120VAC rating. transformers should be avoided in hi-fi chain except MC step-up transformers and audio consulting 2 phase to 1 isolation transformers on the mains.

Reactions: ddk and Sangbro

montesquieu

Jan 27, 2019
I've played with quite a bit of 100V Japanese market kit over the years, and had good results with a step-down transformer from this company - I have one of their balanced mains units in at the moment which is really the same technolgy as a step-up or step-down.

I can't say I've noticed any degredation in quality with something like this compared to kit made for native 230 or 240v.

I have on occasion played with some small units presumably switch mode type intended for shavers and the like (available for £10 or so from ebay) and wouldn't recommend those but that hardly needs saying on this forum :)

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Hello,

1) DAC

(It is set for 220-240V, with Type F consent type, widely used in Europe/Eastern Asia countries)

https://acupwr.com/collections/step...20-volts-to-220-240-volts-step-up-transformer
- If you know any better company, please share. As far as I know this is the best quality I can get in the states.

(I know the voltage goes up and down from the plant to my home, still not sure using the relatively small transformer unit

Let me say this purely from an engineering stand point and I don’t sell products
yes it can but very unlikely on a low power item
also may i ask have you considered having someone make it 120 volt taps must be inside and most likely a simple task.
last why don’t you just make a 220 volt line for it. It’s very simple to do. Consult an electrician

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
it definitely does. don't use a transformer it kills dynamics. try to get the same DAC with 120VAC rating. transformers should be avoided in hi-fi chain except MC step-up transformers and audio consulting 2 phase to 1 isolation transformers on the mains.
Not to be a mean guy but why are you saying this ? It’s a low power item. I can see your point on power amps of high capacity. It’s just rumors not bases on facts

Sangbro

Dec 19, 2020
Ah, that’s what I’m afraid the most.

So far I find one DAC and the network streamer. Are these going to suffer from loss of dynamics?

Sangbro

Dec 19, 2020
I've played with quite a bit of 100V Japanese market kit over the years, and had good results with a step-down transformer from this company - I have one of their balanced mains units in at the moment which is really the same technolgy as a step-up or step-down.

I can't say I've noticed any degredation in quality with something like this compared to kit made for native 230 or 240v.

I have on occasion played with some small units presumably switch mode type intended for shavers and the like (available for £10 or so from ebay) and wouldn't recommend those but that hardly needs saying on this forum :)
Nice company. Thank you for the information.

In Japan I’ve found Accuphase has really interesting price.
I got some stuff (DAC + Network streamer) from China and Korea using 220v.

Sangbro

Dec 19, 2020
In short by a balanced iso setup for eBay ty need a simple one ano enjoy your new toy
Thank you for the advice.

So far I find DAC and Network Streamer that I want to buy here.

Both are almost same spec (consumption 5-10w, 50w max),

Just to be clear (sorry, I don’t understand clearly) - Is the transformer I mention enough?

Or do I need additional device?

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Thank you for the advice.

So far I find DAC and Network Streamer that I want to buy here.

Both are almost same spec (consumption 5-10w, 50w max),

Just to be clear (sorry, I don’t understand clearly) - Is the transformer I mention enough?

Or do I need additional device?
500 watts is plenty but consider a balanced power iso a 1kw is under 400.
my theory is low signal needs high gain. This makes noise floors very critical a typical phono preamp is a gain of 50 to 70 db and then there is the gain in preamp. my point is best power and a good ground matters far more on front end. a balanced iso gives you the best power to noise ratio.

Reactions: Uk Paul

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Hello,

1) DAC

Transformers DO affect the sound of electronics and IME always negatively. If the company offers different voltages it might be as easy as setting a switch, soldering a couple of wires on the internal transformer or swapping it out for your region appropriate one but I don't recommend external transformers.

david

PS- When a single power cord can have a transformational affect on sound imagine how much a box with wiring, IECs, switch, fuse and a transformer of unknown quality will have on your sound:)!

Last edited:
Reactions: mtemur

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Ah, that’s what I’m afraid the most.

So far I find one DAC and the network streamer. Are these going to suffer from loss of dynamics?
unfortunately yes (together with coloration of transformer)

Reactions: ddk

montesquieu

Jan 27, 2019
Transformers DO affect the sound of electronics and IME always negatively. If the company offers different voltages it might be as easy as setting a switch, soldering a couple of wires on the internal transformer or swapping it out for your region appropriate one but I don't recommend external transformers.

david

PS- When a single power cord can have a transformational affect on sound imagine how much a box with wiring, IECs, switch, fuse and a transformer of unknown quality will have on your sound:)!

How do you think the power gets into your house, given power lines are high voltage?

Hint: it involves a transformer.

Sweeping generalisations like 'transformers always negatively affect the sound of electronics' are not only misleading, they are profoundly unhelpful. I'd be interested in knowing precisely what step-up/step-down kit you tried with what component that was unsatisfactory, and what you heard that made you conclude this. Happy owners of some high-end phono step-ups might raise an eybrow too at your comment.

It's fairly obvious that in the case under discussion, the ideal option is to swap taps on the internal mains transformer, or swap it out for the correct one, but these are not always available options. Its not uncommon for mains transformers to accommodate 115/120v and 230/240v options for US vs European market, but the vast majority of 100v Japanese domestic market kit doesn't have multiple taps. Some - perhaps most - Japanese companies will refuse to provide a foreign-spec mains transformer for a domestic market component - I know because I've asked more than one and been refused.

Reactions: Alrainbow

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
How do you think the power gets into your house, given power lines are high voltage?

Hint: it involves a transformer.

Sweeping generalisations like 'transformers always negatively affect the sound of electronics' are not only misleading, they are profoundly unhelpful. I'd be interested in knowing precisely what step-up/step-down kit you tried with what component that was unsatisfactory, and what you heard that made you conclude this. Happy owners of some high-end phono step-ups might raise an eybrow too at your comment.

It's fairly obvious that in the case under discussion, the ideal option is to swap taps on the internal mains transformer, or swap it out for the correct one, but these are not always available options. Its not uncommon for mains transformers to accommodate 115/120v and 230/240v options for US vs European market, but the vast majority of 100v Japanese domestic market kit doesn't have multiple taps. Some - perhaps most - Japanese companies will refuse to provide a foreign-spec mains transformer for a domestic market component - I know because I've asked more than one and been refused.
Kid yourself if want your AC line argument is moot. It’s proven fact that what you stick between a component and the wall outlet has a direct effect on the sound!
Are you claiming an appliance transformer has no affect on sound?

david

Reactions: mtemur

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing