Donations for PPE for NYC hospitals

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
I want to help with the PPE situation. I was trying to buy some respirators for NYC hospitals on ebay and discovered that ebay is removing all listings that try to sell N-95 respirators, even legitimate ones. I guess they are tired of the scams and don't want any more losses. Too bad.

But, before they shut down a couple of legitimate ebay accounts, I was able to make some email contacts so I can order these outside of ebay. They are of course more expensive than the non-Covid-19 pricing, but still not that bad, around $4-5/mask. These are desperate times after all. I have ordered a case or more of these and the first box shipped today. I hope to get 200-300 masks. This is all out of pocket for me. I have also bought some Tyvek PPE suits on ebay. These listings are not blocked by ebay, but finding a medium suit is really difficult. As soon as I recieve these, they are going to the hospitals in most need, namely Elmhurst in Queens and Brookdale in The Bronx.

If any one wants to contribute, we would appreciate any amount. I need to send the PPE express to NYC, across the country, so it's expensive. PayPal send money to: nugent@empiricalaudio.com. You should be able to use family and friends for this.

I will post photos of the PPE when I get it and before I ship to NYC hospitals. I will ship it express directly to the ones in the most need.

Thanks and stay healthy and at home,

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Reactions: NorthStar and ack

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Got it, thanks. Very generous.

Because of your donation I was able to buy just now 25 more N-95 respirators.

Last edited:
Reactions: NorthStar

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Good for you Steve. Just be v. careful how you source this stuff, the Dutch govt has had to return 600k faulty face marks back to China, and Czech Republic has had to return 200k testing kits back to China.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
As soon as I recieve these, they are going to the hospitals in most need, namely Elmhurst in Queens and Brookdale in The Bronx.
I am sure this in unintentional but Brookdale is in Brooklyn, not the Bronx. (I was born there.)

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
I am sure this in unintentional but Brookdale is in Brooklyn, not the Bronx. (I was born there.)

Wrong "B", thanks. Getting old is a B***CH....

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Good for you Steve. Just be v. careful how you source this stuff, the Dutch govt has had to return 600k faulty face marks back to China, and Czech Republic has had to return 200k testing kits back to China.

Nothing from China. I have sourced from Ireland, Calif., Australia, Canada, Michigan, NY and Louisiana believe it or not. You would think people in NY or New Orleans would just donate these. I guess greed trumps life. That's a good one o_O

The amazing thing is that they must have a full-time ebay person just to cancel the ebay listings for N-95 coming from China. I think they have an entire boiler-room full of Chinese applying for new accounts and posting the same thing over and over each time an account gets shut-down. It's happening in real-time. Just go to ebay and search on N-95 respirator and you will se the latest account trying to sell 3M KN-95 masks from China. This is the Chinese version of the 3M 1860. Look at a listing and then open it and do a refresh and it's gone. Lasts about 20 seconds. In that 20 seconds, they still get maybe 10 orders before the listing is shut-down.

Some states attorney generals are prosecuting for this kind of price gouging, including NY state. If I find out who it is and a name and address, I will send an email to those attorney generals. They will prosecute once this pandemic is over with.

Last edited:

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Last edited:

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Most of the respirators have been shipped to me today. Should be here on Saturday. A few will arrive tomorrow.

I am getting a lot more than I expected. I asked the supplier to send me all he had.

As a result, I could really use some more donations, even $20 helps. This will save lives, particularly healthcare workers lives. These are our soldiers in this war.

Send PayPal $$ to nugent@empiricalaudio.com

Don't send these soldiers to war without bullets, especially those from New York.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Arguably the financial center of the world goes begging.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Arguably the financial center of the world goes begging.

With the latest stock market drop, we are all hurting, besides this has nothing to do with how much money I should put in. Ever since I started this project, I feel better and I sleep better because I'm at least trying to make a difference in the outcome. I don't feel so helpless anymore.

What are you doing to help?

BTW, maybe you should read your own quote about being civil and sociable. In wartime, we all have a civic duty to help in any way we can.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com

Thanks for the contribution. Most members here are much more wealthy than those on my audiocircle forum and yet I have so many more contributions from those folks. Go figure.

I am getting so much more PPE than I expected, so I can split it and send half to Elmhurst and half to Brookdale. Is Elmhurst a much larger hospital?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
With the latest stock market drop, we are all hurting, besides this has nothing to do with how much money I should put in. Ever since I started this project, I feel better and I sleep better because I'm at least trying to make a difference in the outcome. I don't feel so helpless anymore.

What are you doing to help?

BTW, maybe you should read your own quote about being civil and sociable. In wartime, we all have a civic duty to help in any way we can.
I could explain but i have already been admonished for a political discussion. If you like we can discuss it via pm.
On behalf of New Yorkers which I am not one I applaud your efforts.
I am trying to help.
Pointing out that NY is woefully unprepared for this crisis is well within the bounds of civility.
It is not the stock markets fault.

Again thank you. Yours is the true American spirit.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
I am getting so much more PPE than I expected, so I can split it and send half to Elmhurst and half to Brookdale. Is Elmhurst a much larger hospital?
Not significantly. Prior to recent events, Elmhurst had 545 beds and Brookdale 530.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing