Doshi Stereo Amplifier Arrived

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I received one of these yesterday, installed the eight 6CA7 tubes, and had a long listen. It sounds very, very good to my ears. The build quality is very solid and the chrome cage over the transformers creates a nice mirror effect with the tubes. Seems to mate really well with my Alexia 2s but that's not surprising since Nick did the development on his own Alexia 2s.

Any other members here use Doshi gear? I know the tape pre is very well regarded. Anyone have the mono amps?

Reactions: MJB

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Nick makes great equipment. I have his line stage, tape pre and phono pre.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Nick makes great equipment. I have his line stage, tape pre and phono pre.

Agreed. I have heard the tape pre a lot and it always sounds good.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I have his tape pre pro. I was extremely impressed hearing his amp paired with Rockport Lyras at Tim Marutani's place. Nick is also a really nice guy. He spent some time at my home last summer, and we listened to one of my safety master tapes through his tape pre pro.

Larry

Reactions: Lee

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I have his tape pre pro. I was extremely impressed hearing his amp paired with Rockport Lyras at Tim Marutani's place. Nick is also a really nice guy. He spent some time at my home last summer, and we listened to one of my safety master tapes through his tape pre pro.

Larry

Nick is a really nice. And a superb engineer with good ears.

Reactions: dminches

Number9

Oct 15, 2018
Does his linestage get the same high praise from you guys that have heard it? Larry, did you compare to the Herron? I am looking for something right about this price range and have tried a couple big names but still a tough time settling in on anything. I like that it has a tvc volume control and have also read from some that the v. 3 is very live sounding.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Does his linestage get the same high praise from you guys that have heard it? Larry, did you compare to the Herron? I am looking for something right about this price range and have tried a couple big names but still a tough time settling in on anything. I like that it has a tvc volume control and have also read from some that the v. 3 is very live sounding.

I have not tried the line stage yet. But based on what I have seen and heard, I would add it to your audition list.

Number9

Oct 15, 2018
Thanks for the response. Are you thinking about replacing your Ref 5 anytime soon?

MJB

Mar 10, 2013
Congratulations! Nick’s gear is terrific. And, he’s also a good guy.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I haven't compared the Doshi preamp to my Herron 360. I don't switch my core equipment very much. I started with Keith Herron back when he first began in the late '90's and have just gone up the ladder with his preamps, trading up with his generous upgrade and trade in policy.

Nick on the other hand is still in his prime. ;) His preamp/amp combo was a great sounding match for the Rockport Lyras and his tape prepro that I heard at Tim Marutani's place. His preamp is not quite three times more expensive than the Herron 360.

Larry

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

I replaced an Audio Research Ref 5 SE with the Doshi line stage. I found the Doshi to be much quieter and open. You wouldn't be disappointed.

Number9

Oct 15, 2018
I had a Ref 6 in my system and really didn’t like it much at all. If the Doshi isn’t lots better I will be disappointed. For all I know the 5se sounds better than the 6 but regardless I am getting a little fed up trying to find something to fill my empty shelf. Do you know if you have the latest version 3.0? So far the best pre in my system has been the Gamut 3i. It beat out many!

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I have the latest version, yes.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Yes. I just received it 2 weeks ago. I can’t really say what the difference is at this point.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Yes. I just received it 2 weeks ago. I can’t really say what the difference is at this point.
Hahaha. Me neither! Nick changed one for me on the tape pre. He said Myles was giving a good impression though.

Tang

Reactions: dminches

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Sometimes the changes are subtle. Other people seem to be able hear the most minuet change.

Number9

Oct 15, 2018
Hmm, I will need to check on the umbilical chord on the demo unit I am having sent. Are there any exterior differences that are easily discernible?

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Sometimes the changes are subtle. Other people seem to be able hear the most minuet change.
You can also upgrade some internal parts on the preamp board of tape pre too. Nick also did that for me two weeks ago. I didnt bother asking what he changed. I was working while he was doing it. How did the sound change? I also cannot answer this. But on Scheherazade, tape now sounds better than my vinyl. I had said in another thread before my vinyl sounded better on this title.

Tang :)

Reactions: bonzo75

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . . But on Scheherazade, tape now sounds better than my vinyl. I had said in another thread before my vinyl sounded better on this title.

Tang :)

GO TAPE! GO TAPE! GO TAPE!

Did Nick say if these component upgrades are built into new copies of the Doshi tape ore-amp?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing