Part 3: Doubling Down

songeraudio

Manufacturer Handmade Field Coil Speakers
Aug 3, 2022
Portland, OR
www.songeraudio.com
Five years ago on this very day, I quit my job as a software engineer.

As I reflect on that, I must mention that my wife is a living saint. I don't know how the spouses of creatives survive the insanity of journeys like the one I've been on, or the 23 years that we've been together for that matter. If ever so inclined, well... she'd have quite a story of her own to tell.

When we last left our hero, he'd demonstrated that he could make a driver that in fact played music, something nobody (not even himself) actually believed was going to happen.

Here's how it measured:

SPL: 95.57 1W/1m
Re: 7.67 Ohms
Fs: 19.51Hz
Qts: .1817
Qes: .1902
Qms: 4.071
Le: .3429mH (10k)
Mmd: 18.5g
Mms: 23.51g
Vas: 19.2 cu ft

I didn't know what to do with most of the Thiele Small parameters at the time, but was assured that I should be very pleased with these values.

This is a tone sweep (measured just as seen in the prior video, drivers on the floor, with a separate sub filling in below 100Hz) at a 6-7ft listening position, using OmniMic software:

proto_sub_fr_ir.png

Everyone hoped at this point that I'd construct the cabinet and a finished loudspeaker, but to great disappointment, I didn't. I doubled down on the driver, instead. What I'd somehow made was much more than a curiosity, to play occasionally for friends. I felt that if I just pushed the development of it another cycle further, something of actual critical merit was within my reach. I simply couldn't pass that possibility up. I had my annual bonus to draw upon for the development. My decision renewed all of the old doubts of friends and loved ones, but the cabinetry would have to wait a while longer.

Regarding the field coil, it wasn't all good news. The prototype didn't include a phase plug to mitigate wave cancellations, the addition of which would surely improve performance. The motor became very hot after 4 hours on a bench supply at 12VDC. It wouldn't melt the carpet it was on, but if I let them run for a full day it was not uncommon for the voice coil to begin to rub slightly against the gap, and the steel became very uncomfortable to the touch. Sealing up that kind of heat in a thick wooden box seemed most unwise.

The brass and hardwood basket was long on fun and interest, but short on stiffness and strength. Wood breathes and flexes with changes in temperature and humidity, and those small changes correlate with shifts in alignment of the moving assembly. The basket instead needed to be metal, or carbon fiber, or stone. All were considered, and carbon fiber composite and metal versions were designed and made. Carbon fiber was eventually dismissed, in favor of aluminum.

After months of use, the silk thread spider began to sag and eventually, it no longer held the moving mass centered in the gap. That misfortune marked the end of the prototype driver and countless wonderful hours of listening to them play.

Lastly, the driver Qts was too low - but more on that topic, in a future post.

It was time to redesign the motor steel and solenoid. Considerations in that redesign were as follows:
  • Magnetic flow doesn't like to negotiate sharp corners, as with the prototype geometry.
  • Develop a two piece assembly to improve the physical uniformity of the gap
  • Refine the steel geometry to achieve a 1.6T flux density or better in the gap
  • Use a higher gauge wire, in the hope that it may offer a cooler running motor
With 1400 turns of 17 AWG, FEMM predicted this beautiful result:

motor_steel_v2_femm.png

The fires of industry were stoked, and a month later four full sets of new steel arrived at my doorstep, in a heavy crate. Knowing that I may opt for open baffle, or perhaps a partially glass cabinet, I spent long exhausting days sanding away all of the tool marks and polishing the raw steel housings:

v2_polishing_steel.jpg v2_polished_steel.jpg

Pro tip: it doesn't matter how much mild steel is polished, or microcrystalline wax is applied to it. As dependable as are death and taxes, it will eventually rust.

The entire driver was to be reconsidered, if this was going to rise to the level of a serious production driver. I spent months working and reworking in the digital space, often with the steady counsel of my spiritual guide, Leonard the Cat.
designing.png

Work performance began to suffer, as I'd steal away to conference rooms when I had the chance, mostly to read... endlessly reading to internalize and understand what really mattered in the design of a loudspeaker, and further CAD/CAM models of the driver instead of writing code. The basket became more of a frame, evolved into a sink designed to pull as much heat away from the motor as possible. Along with many other areas of fabrication at the time, waterjet cutting had become a relatively affordable process for small manufacturers, which was how all of the frame and flange pieces were, and still are, made.

Thankfully, 3D printing had followed suit, and the spider was in principle kept as it was. I bought a large format FDM printer, and experimented with many different materials before settling on a thermal polyurethane developed with the high demands of the healthcare and auto industries in mind. It was flexible, heat tolerant, easy to work with, and would effectively never degrade in this application. Other advantages of TPU over silk thread were its linear compliance and elasticity. That elasticity helped address what I've always felt is a disadvantage of common, concentric roll cloth spiders. Typically, spiders just hang as dead weight on the voice coil. A flexible lattice could overcome some measure of that, holding the entire moving mass in very light tension for a more lively and sensitive presentation. Fractions of a millimeter in its diameter made audible and measurable differences, affecting the free air resonance, distortion, linearity, impulse response, and so on. Several designs were tried, and dozens of varying diameters to arrive at the lattice I use today. This was the first design that I made, with a feather-light carbon fiber composite collar at its center:

spider.png

With the addition of large format 3D printing, molds were much improved. Kinwashi paper became Hosho washi, throughout. This is a two part mold that slip-fits the cone section at the surround half-roll, similar to the design that is still used today:

mold.png

While it doesn't show in that picture, I had by now utterly destroyed our dining room table. It was a maze of deep scratches and dents, the worst of them inked in with a black sharpie pen. An SLA resin printer was added to the shop soon after, for terminal post mountings, the phase plug and other cosmetically visible parts.

I'd now invested years and literally thousands of hours of time and effort toward this goal. The amalgam of it all came together one day to produce this, here seen being measured for the first time in DATS:

production.JPG

This is the measurement that was pulled a few minutes after that picture was taken:

prod_driver_1_dats.jpg

SPL: 96 1W/1m
Re: 8.5 Ohms
Fs: 17.5Hz
Qts: .168
Qes: .174
Qms: 5.27
Le: .839mH (1k)
Mmd: 14.2g
Mms: 19.2g
Vas: 29.2 cu ft (828 liters)

It was now time to design and build a cabinet, and at long last, see what this driver could do.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you very much for chronicling for us the development of this driver!

InfigoAudio

Industry Expert
Jun 14, 2022
Kelowna, BC, Canada
www.infigoaudio.com
Great story! Thank you for sharing
The joy of 3D CAD design - I'm using the same software as above to design the 3D construction of mechanical enclosure, heatsinks and circuitboards for all of our equipment. Couldn't live without it

And indeed long live the spouses of the creatives. Couldn't live without them either. Amazing what they have to put up with at times and are still here... I can totally relate.

Cheers, Hans.

tommylion

Feb 14, 2022
Thank you so much for sharing your story, it is fascinating and inspiring. Hope you will be able to post the next installment soon. Having been happily married to an amazing woman for 37 years, I especially appreciate how you speak about and credit your wife. You are clearly blessed to have her by your side.

I have only recently become aware of Songer Audio, but, from what I have seen so far, I think these could well be my end game speakers. I hope to be able to hear them in person (and meet you) at CAF in November.

Tom

songeraudio

Aug 3, 2022
Portland, OR
www.songeraudio.com
Thank you so much for sharing your story, it is fascinating and inspiring. Hope you will be able to post the next installment soon. Having been happily married to an amazing woman for 37 years, I especially appreciate how you speak about and credit your wife. You are clearly blessed to have her by your side.

I have only recently become aware of Songer Audio, but, from what I have seen so far, I think these could well be my end game speakers. I hope to be able to hear them in person (and meet you) at CAF in November.

Tom
It's my pleasure Tom, I'm so glad that you and others are enjoying reading about my experience of these past years. I'm in a bit of a mad dash over this coming week to be ready for the shows in June (THE Show and PAF), but I'm looking forward to pouring a nice glass of something next Friday and sitting down to pen the next chapter.

We'll be at CAF for sure, looking forward to it! Message me ahead of the event with a few songs you'd like to hear, and I'll make sure I have them on hand. Cheers.

Reactions: NickMimi

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Ken, I just saw this fascinating document chronicling your field coil driver development. No turning back now my friend! keep letting people listen as you have been and your audience will continue to grow. I wish you continued success. Now lets get a vinyl spinning at your future exhibitions to complement the great digital replay I heard from Sforzato in Irvine:)

Reactions: songeraudio

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023
It's my pleasure Tom, I'm so glad that you and others are enjoying reading about my experience of these past years. I'm in a bit of a mad dash over this coming week to be ready for the shows in June (THE Show and PAF), but I'm looking forward to pouring a nice glass of something next Friday and sitting down to pen the next chapter.

We'll be at CAF for sure, looking forward to it! Message me ahead of the event with a few songs you'd like to hear, and I'll make sure I have them on hand. Cheers.

Fascinating journey and a really beautiful done Driver , never seen such a large VAS to such low QTS numbers before , any word on linear MMX values ..?

Did you get the cabinet done ..?

Regards

Reactions: songeraudio

songeraudio

Aug 3, 2022
Portland, OR
www.songeraudio.com
Ken, I just saw this fascinating document chronicling your field coil driver development. No turning back now my friend! keep letting people listen as you have been and your audience will continue to grow. I wish you continued success. Now lets get a vinyl spinning at your future exhibitions to complement the great digital replay I heard from Sforzato in Irvine:)
Thank you, Gary!

Likewise, thank you @gleeds for being such a fan since our first meeting last November at CAF, and for being so wonderfully generous with your time, guidance, and support this past year. It's been an exciting and busy June, but I'm looking forward to finishing up and posting the next installment in the next day or two.

@Solypsa reached out just yesterday to talk about chat about turntables, which I'm really looking forward to discussing. It was great meeting you in Seattle, Erik! Look for me in your Inbox shortly...

Last edited:

songeraudio

Aug 3, 2022
Portland, OR
www.songeraudio.com
Fascinating journey and a really beautiful done Driver , never seen such a large VAS to such low QTS numbers before , any word on linear MMX values ..?

Did you get the cabinet done ..?

Regards
Thank you @Audiohertz2! Yes, the driver is very unusual in that regard, even under its present day, higher Qts. The linear Xmax of the current driver is +/- 3.5mm.

As to whether I ever finished the cabinets, well... you'll just have to read the next chapter. ;) Cheers.

Reactions: Audiohertz2

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing