DSS-Diaphragm from A&C Audio, Japan

KyoichiOda

Feb 10, 2021
Hello everyone.
I would like to introduce a new idea and technology,
DSS-Diaphragm, developed by A&C Audio in Japan.

dsss.jpeg
The key idea of DSS-Diaphragm:
1. It is pointless only seeing static characteristics, dynamic characteristics is much more important.
2. In order to improve the dynamic characteristics and transient, it is important to eliminate divided vibration. However, this is not easy with conventional cone-shaped diaphragms.
3. DSS-Diaphragm improves dynamic characteristics, achieves high response and high resolution with very high rigid diamond shaped shell structure by thoroughly excluding divided vibration.
bend.jpeg dva.jpeg

9ad1439bd29cd26b2287f3cbd2f8465d.jpg

Their another technology is floating mount of speaker unit:
1. The reaction force of speaker unit driving force propagates into the cabinet. This results muddy sound by cabinet resonances.
2. Speaker unit is mechanically insulated from the frame unit which is fixed to the cabinet to eliminate the cabinet resonances thoroughly.
200504b.jpg

I listened their latest product 'Dolphine', with 6cm DSS-Diaphragm full range unit.
IMG_20211030_143138.jpg
IMG_20211030_144654.jpg

As expected, they sound very high resolution and clearness, however these are not all.
I can hardly believe it sounds from 6cm small full range unit, so massive and powerful, beautiful tonality, realistic sound stage with decay as listening in real concert hall. I was really surprised, have never listened any speakers like this.

A&C Audio is developing larger 17cm DSS-Diaphragm speaker unit, then 10cm version will follow.
2-way and 3-way systems are planned in the future, these should be really a game changer.

Mr. Shimazu, the engineer who developed DSS-Diaphragm is happy to answer by e-mail if you have question:
info[at-mark]ac-audio.org

Last edited:

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Hello everyone.
I would like to introduce a new idea and technology,
DSS-Diaphragm, developed by A&C Audio in Japan.

View attachment 83954
The key idea of DSS-Diaphragm:
1. It is pointless only seeing static characteristics, dynamic characteristics is much more important.
2. In order to improve the dynamic characteristics and transient, it is important to eliminate divided vibration. However, this is not easy with conventional cone-shaped diaphragms.
3. DSS-Diaphragm improves dynamic characteristics, achieves high response and high resolution with very high rigid diamond shaped shell structure by thoroughly excluding divided vibration.
View attachment 83958 View attachment 83956

View attachment 83957

Their another technology is floating mount of speaker unit:
1. The reaction force of speaker unit driving force propagates into the cabinet. This results muddy sound by cabinet resonances.
2. Speaker unit is mechanically insulated from the frame unit which is fixed to the cabinet to eliminate the cabinet resonances thoroughly.
View attachment 83959

I listened their latest product 'Dolphine', with 6cm DSS-Diaphragm full range unit.
View attachment 83960
View attachment 83961

As expected, they sound very high resolution and clearness, however these are not all.
I can hardly believe it sounds from 6cm small full range unit, so massive and powerful, beautiful tonality, realistic sound stage with decay as listening in real concert hall. I was really surprised, have never listened any speakers like this.

A&C Audio is developing larger 17cm DSS-Diaphragm speaker unit, then 10cm version will follow.
2-way and 3-way systems are planned in the future, these should be really a game changer.

Mr. Shimazu, the engineer who developed DSS-Diaphragm is happy to answer by e-mail if you have question:
info[at-mark]ac-audio.org
Very interesting stuff.

KyoichiOda

Feb 10, 2021
Last edited:

KyoichiOda

Feb 10, 2021
Mr. Shimazu at A&C Audio described his idea and prospect on his blog.

https://blog.goo.ne.jp/ac-audio/e/f2bbc0ae6c54e804052af26b2903e182

< What's wrong with it? >
Simple and straightforward

Modern flat and low distortion speakers -> Boring sound, no musical emotion.

Great speakers of the past -> Enjoyable music. Music is fun, but it's annoying and hurts the ears.

Points to note
It is impossible to get the best of the above two. Even if you think you've got it right, you're only listening to music in a key that doesn't contain the frequencies you don't like. If you play a different tonal source, you will immediately lose your edge. (The pitfalls of always using the same source for personal evaluation)

< Why not? >
Due to the division vibration of the diaphragm, there is a technical trade-off between a "flat and low distortion" sound and a "fresh and dynamic" sound.

For music to be dynamic, the above two must be compatible.

Points to note
Don't be fooled by the hype of modern high-end loudspeakers, which in fact do not eliminate division vibrations at all. Even the diamond dome tweeter is a non-starter because, although axisymmetric resonance is OK, the bell-shaped resonance starts at a very low frequency.

< The reality of eliminating division vibrations >
The elimination of division vibrations has been an important requirement for a long time, but it is hopelessly difficult to achieve. There are no past examples.

Flat plate type is out of the question, even cone type and dome type is clearly impossible!

The DSS diaphragm is a rigid structure (three-dimensional reinforcement) that takes cost and effort out of the equation, and is currently in progress.

< My feeling at the moment... >
The 'Dolphin', a small diameter system, has reached a stage where it is possible to experience the high quality sound of a piston motion speaker with a very high degree of perfection.

The development of conventional cone and dome diaphragms has been in chaotic condition because the various tonal and distortion problems arise. In the case of the DSS diaphragm, however, it became clear that the sound improved as the resonance starting frequency was increased. Aside from the difficulty of realising this, the technical direction is simple and clear. (Chaotic condition can be eliminated!)

< Our immediate goals for the piston motion speakers (no promises...) >
17cm(6.7inch) DSS diaphragm full-range speaker
?In progress

10cm(3.9inch) DSS diaphragm full-range speaker
?More than just a full-range system for the upper class product of the 'Dolphin', it will be a part of a 2-way system with a medium to large diameter woofer by moving the resonant frequency out of the audible range. The result is a seamless, wide-range system without harmful crossover and an unprecedented concept of ultra-high quality sound.

Medium to large DSS diaphragm woofers for the above
?We'll leave it at that. Technically, it is an extension of the 17cm diameter know-how.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Mr. Shimazu at A&C Audio described his idea and prospect on his blog.

https://blog.goo.ne.jp/ac-audio/e/f2bbc0ae6c54e804052af26b2903e182

< What's wrong with it? >
Simple and straightforward

Modern flat and low distortion speakers -> Boring sound, no musical emotion.

Great speakers of the past -> Enjoyable music. Music is fun, but it's annoying and hurts the ears.

Points to note
It is impossible to get the best of the above two. Even if you think you've got it right, you're only listening to music in a key that doesn't contain the frequencies you don't like. If you play a different tonal source, you will immediately lose your edge. (The pitfalls of always using the same source for personal evaluation)

< Why not? >
Due to the division vibration of the diaphragm, there is a technical trade-off between a "flat and low distortion" sound and a "fresh and dynamic" sound.

For music to be dynamic, the above two must be compatible.

Points to note
Don't be fooled by the hype of modern high-end loudspeakers, which in fact do not eliminate division vibrations at all. Even the diamond dome tweeter is a non-starter because, although axisymmetric resonance is OK, the bell-shaped resonance starts at a very low frequency.

< The reality of eliminating division vibrations >
The elimination of division vibrations has been an important requirement for a long time, but it is hopelessly difficult to achieve. There are no past examples.

Flat plate type is out of the question, even cone type and dome type is clearly impossible!

The DSS diaphragm is a rigid structure (three-dimensional reinforcement) that takes cost and effort out of the equation, and is currently in progress.

< My feeling at the moment... >
The 'Dolphin', a small diameter system, has reached a stage where it is possible to experience the high quality sound of a piston motion speaker with a very high degree of perfection.

The development of conventional cone and dome diaphragms has been in chaotic condition because the various tonal and distortion problems arise. In the case of the DSS diaphragm, however, it became clear that the sound improved as the resonance starting frequency was increased. Aside from the difficulty of realising this, the technical direction is simple and clear. (Chaotic condition can be eliminated!)

< Our immediate goals for the piston motion speakers (no promises...) >
17cm(6.7inch) DSS diaphragm full-range speaker
?In progress

10cm(3.9inch) DSS diaphragm full-range speaker
?More than just a full-range system for the upper class product of the 'Dolphin', it will be a part of a 2-way system with a medium to large diameter woofer by moving the resonant frequency out of the audible range. The result is a seamless, wide-range system without harmful crossover and an unprecedented concept of ultra-high quality sound.

Medium to large DSS diaphragm woofers for the above
?We'll leave it at that. Technically, it is an extension of the 17cm diameter know-how.
@KyoichiOda. A video of the speakers played would attract people to further explore or not.

KyoichiOda

Feb 10, 2021
@KyoichiOda. A video of the speakers played would attract people to further explore or not.
I talked to Mr. Shimazu, he is not so positive for video. However you can find some movies on Youtube.

KyoichiOda

Feb 10, 2021
New 6cm DSS Diaphragm system has been launched:
Shimazu Model-1
https://www.audiounion.jp/ct/detail/new/189209/

"A small full-range speaker that allows you to enjoy the real pleasure of music even at low volumes. The unique DSS diaphragm (the only original speaker unit designed and manufactured in Japan). A compact, ultra-high quality speaker. Bass and scale never before possible in a small full-range speaker. The ability to reproduce music in a rich and high quality way. A crisp and responsive sound for classical, jazz and pop music. Beautiful solid natural wood (cherry) cabinets with an oil finish made by woodworkers (grain character and gum pockets are natural and not a product defect). Enjoy the natural patina of cherry wood, which deepens with age."

1644032901037.png
1644032932355.png
1644032951476.png

Attachments

• 1644032912832.png
    1644032912832.png
    774.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Reactions: matakana

KyoichiOda

Feb 10, 2021
Last edited:

KyoichiOda

Feb 10, 2021
I listened Shimadzu Model-1, new 6cm DSS Diaphragm full range system today.
They sound better than previous model 'Dolphin',
especially acoustic tonality and improved bass.
Of course advantage of DSS Diaphragm, very high resolution, clearness
and good separation of each instrument is kept.

I am so looking forward to new systems in the future,
10cm DSS Diaphragm full range,
17cm DSS Diaphragm 2 way and so on.

Sadly this supreme loudspeakers are demonstrated only in Japan,
I will post if I get any information from their overseas sales.

KyoichiOda

Feb 10, 2021
Mr. Shimadzu, CEO of Satsuma Shimadzu which was launched as a new company, descrived his key idea of DSS diaphragm on his blog.
I think this technology really has never seen before, will be a game changer and new paradigm of speaker history.

He wrote in preface.
" I feel that modern high-end speakers are in a critical situation where they appear to have evolved according to specifications, but in fact they are 'degrading musicality' or 'failing to reproduce the organic aspects of the original sound'. We are looking for the essential cause of this and hope to provide speaker products that improve the original 'quality of sound for musical enjoyment'.

In order to achieve this, we believe it is necessary to rethink the essence of the problem and make a breakthrough by turning conventional wisdom on its head. Even if it is incompatible with conventional wisdom, we would like to appeal with the 'rebellious spirit of Satsuma Hayato'. In this section, we would like to introduce such a concept of 'Speaker Restoration'. Some of them may not be realised and may be abandoned, while others may be changed due to new discoveries. Please note that this is not an official announcement and includes dreams that have not yet been realised. Anyway, I'll push around with the initial theory, so please look forward to it.

I try to avoid using jargon as much as possible and to make the content easy to understand for music lovers. There are many unresolved sound quality issues in audio, so for example, there is no technical definition of the word 'resolution', and people have different ways of perceiving it. Conversely, it is a well-known fact that it is not possible to approach the essence of good sound even if we discuss only specifications with well-defined definitions, such as frequency response, for example.

Therefore, I believe that the argument that a good sound can be produced by just putting technical terms together and following the theory is not sound and ignores the depth of the auditory sense. Therefore, I will try to be as specific as possible in stating my premise of what I consider to be good sound, and then make an effort to make this a discussion about how we hear, not about specifications. "

They are planning to open English website,
please enjoy his blog entries so far:

1-1 What is good sound?-Pursuit of texture

1-2 What is good sound?-Definition of musicality and basic physical strength of sound

1-3 What is good sound?-Problems specific to speakers

2-1 The Inconvenient Truth of Divided Vibration

2-2 Things Lost in Modern Speakers

2-3 Weakness of Conventional Diaphragm and DSS Diaphragm

2-4 Technical Details and Summary of DSS Diaphragms

Last edited:

KyoichiOda

Feb 10, 2021
New 10cm DSS diaphragm full range system is planned to be launched from Satsuma Shimadzu next spring.
I participated in a small event that introduces the trial version of this new 10cm unit today.
DSS10cm.jpg
Of course this 10 cm DSS unit inherits all advantages of the 6cm DSS unit as I posted the impression.
It sounds much better, especially on bass. The sound is really unbelievable from just this small full range unit.
All part of the instruments are separated clearly, and attack of percussion is brilliant.
Not only high resolution and separation, real soundscape emerges.
I think this is a breakthrough in speaker technology.
The next report will follow when it's launched.

KyoichiOda

Feb 10, 2021

KyoichiOda

Feb 10, 2021
Satsuma Shimadzu model-3, 10cm DSS diaphragm full range, shipped after some improvements at:
Flange section of floating mount
Vibration-isolating base section made from artificial ebony

The driver is improved too, only one can be manufactured per day.

1694262920673.png

More photographs on this page:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing