Dune (2020) / Directed by Denis Villeneuve ... Starring Timothee Chalamet

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I am so excited for this. They are saying that Book 1 will be broken up into 2 films as De Laurentis should have done.

Great. So it will take 5 years to see both movies.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Let's hope they shot both and will release in a shorter interval

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The new Paul might be unknown but the supporting cast have played some of the most loved characters in the biggest grossing movies and biggest TV show. Isaac in Star Wars , Brolin and Skaarsgard in the Avengers, David Batista also from the Avengers and one of the most loved Guardians of the Galaxy, Momoa from Justice League, Aquaman and Game of Thrones, Bardien! the two main ladies Jessica and Chani from the movie with the longest legs in cinematic history , The Greatest Showman. Throw in the MI franchise too as well as Zendaya's cred with the youngsters. Versaci on the Floor anybody? Then supported further by legends like Rampling. This story is filled with so many strong and interesting characters and I think with the book split in two they will all have more screen time to show this off. Basically I believe this cast casts a huge net across demographics. The only change I can wish for is trading Isaac for Daniel Craig then trade him to be Thufir. Add to that how eager all of us will be just to be able to go out and see a movie at all.......I foresee a box office detonation.

Reactions: mountainjoe

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I remember reading Frank Herbert's Dune series books when I was in high school. I loved those books.

Then the first version of the movie came out in 1984 and I was never so disappointed with a movie in my life. It was just terrible - IMHO I guess I should add.

Hope they do a better job this time around. I'll definitely check it out with high hopes.
If you watch the 1984 Dune move again, you can see it's enormous potential. Excellent production design and costumes. The main issue was trying to condense Dune into one sub 2 hour movie. The new Dune is in two movies, one of the stipulations of the director if he was going to direct.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
If you watch the 1984 Dune move again, you can see it's enormous potential. Excellent production design and costumes. The main issue was trying to condense Dune into one sub 2 hour movie. The new Dune is in two movies, one of the stipulations of the director if he was going to direct.

I can't imagine torturing myself again with the 1984 Dune movie.

Based on your comment I did go back and read reviews of the movie when it was released. Most of the reviews weren't favorable.

For those with a differing opinion please enjoy the movie and pay me no heed. :)

MTB Vince

May 11, 2019
Dundas, ON Canada
Huge Frank Herbert fan here. This... Looks... So... Awesome! Villeneuve will finally do Dune justice on the big screen.

Last edited:
Reactions: WLVCA

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013

When it first came out I didn't care for it. However, as I rewatched it over the years I came to appreciate it. Now that I am thinking of it I might watch it again tonight.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012

Based on your comment I did go back and read reviews of the movie when it was released. Most of the reviews weren't favorable.

For those with a differing opinion please enjoy the movie and pay me no heed. :)
If you read my comment again, you'll never see that I said the movie was good. I said it had potential. Even the director, the very good David Lynch, was not happy with the final product. It's biggest problem was condensing a 1000 page book into one 2 hour movie.

Denis Villeneuve was careful not to make the same mistake.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
The new Paul might be unknown but the supporting cast have played some of the most loved characters in the biggest grossing movies and biggest TV show. Isaac in Star Wars , Brolin and Skaarsgard in the Avengers, David Batista also from the Avengers and one of the most loved Guardians of the Galaxy, Momoa from Justice League, Aquaman and Game of Thrones, Bardien! the two main ladies Jessica and Chani from the movie with the longest legs in cinematic history , The Greatest Showman. Throw in the MI franchise too as well as Zendaya's cred with the youngsters. Versaci on the Floor anybody? Then supported further by legends like Rampling. This story is filled with so many strong and interesting characters and I think with the book split in two they will all have more screen time to show this off. Basically I believe this cast casts a huge net across demographics. The only change I can wish for is trading Isaac for Daniel Craig then trade him to be Thufir. Add to that how eager all of us will be just to be able to go out and see a movie at all.......I foresee a box office detonation.

I think you make a very good point. The cast alone has a potential to draw significant crowds by appealing to a large spectrum of audience. On top of what you already mentioned, Ferguson starring in Mission Impossible, Men in black, The Girl on the Train is most likely going to make a difference too.

Reactions: JackD201

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
David Lynch's Dune is total guilty pleasure. Like Ridley Scott's Black Rain and William Friedkin's To Live And Die In L.A.

They are films w such glaring inconsistencies and excesses, yet the wholes far exceeds the parts.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
David Lynch's Dune is total guilty pleasure. Like Ridley Scott's Black Rain and William Friedkin's To Live And Die In L.A.

They are films w such glaring inconsistencies and excesses, yet the wholes far exceeds the parts.

I remember vividly the first time I saw it as a kid who loved the book. My reaction was OMG another Flash Gordon! I was later taught that it was done by the same studio. It had some good scenes but couldn't get over that dumb weirding module and the ending.....WTF? Truth be told Sting saved it for 14 year old me albeit there was a huge debate that Billy idol might have been better LOL Oh then there was Alia. To me her few short scenes are the guilty pleasure. That and Sean Young was HOT. Kids! LOL

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I think you make a very good point. The cast alone has a potential to draw significant crowds by appealing to a large spectrum of audience. On top of what you already mentioned, Ferguson starring in Mission Impossible, Men in black, The Girl on the Train is most likely going to make a difference too.

I challenge anybody to find a better lipsynch job than Ferguson. Yes, yes, another beautiful, talented actor.

Reactions: dan31

mountainjoe

Industry Expert
Mar 25, 2015
Bay Area, California
eigenaudio.com
I'm very excited for this movie now having seen the trailer about 20 times ;-)

I first read Dune in high school in the late 70s and have reread it several times - it is one of my favorite novels and I had given up hope of ever seeing a decent adaptation given the (imo) disastrous Lynch attempt and the mini-series.

Just looking at what they did with this trailer is impressive - the trailer belongs in any master class on trailer production and editing imo. Even the haunting Floyd score made me jump for joy - just a perfect match imo (well done Hans!). I'm trying to temper my expectations but the cast, director, and production look to be first rate so this is probably my most anticipated movie in a long, long time.

wbass

Jul 12, 2020
I'm cautiously optimistic. I generally like Villeneuve's movies, in particular Sicario. I'm lukewarm on Bladerunner 2049, which I feel has some good ideas and moves stretched rather thin over a plodding running time. The production design and cinematography are defo impressive, but, to me, 2049 doesn't quite find a compelling rhythm or pacing--a problem with a lot of belated sequels, which are trying to be both themselves and constantly referencing the original simultaneously. It's maybe also worth mentioning that 2049 did a serious bellyflop in the theater. But maybe Dune has a bigger audience as a (horrible word) "property"?

The cast is certainly strong for the new Dune, and two movies is a good idea. Production design looks solid.

+1 on liking the David Lynch Dune. While I grant that it's pretty darn confusing and jumbled on the plot and editing level, it kinda nails the gross and weird and messianic stuff. Never quite understood why it's so disowned. Dunno, maybe just all wrapped up in the craziness of being a De Laurentiis production....

It's a crying shame that Jodorosky never got to make his wild-ass version of Dune. But the doc is top notch.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I just rewatched Dune last weekend, and it gets better each time. Granted, for the material it was too short, but that’s the way Hollywood operates. I enjoyed Bladerunner 2049, but I only watched it once. I guess I will rewatch it this weekend and see if I have a different opinion.

Reactions: wbass

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I'm cautiously optimistic. I generally like Villeneuve's movies, in particular Sicario. I'm lukewarm on Bladerunner 2049, which I feel has some good ideas and moves stretched rather thin over a plodding running time. The production design and cinematography are defo impressive, but, to me, 2049 doesn't quite find a compelling rhythm or pacing--a problem with a lot of belated sequels, which are trying to be both themselves and constantly referencing the original simultaneously. It's maybe also worth mentioning that 2049 did a serious bellyflop in the theater. But maybe Dune has a bigger audience as a (horrible word) "property"?

The cast is certainly strong for the new Dune, and two movies is a good idea. Production design looks solid.

+1 on liking the David Lynch Dune. While I grant that it's pretty darn confusing and jumbled on the plot and editing level, it kinda nails the gross and weird and messianic stuff. Never quite understood why it's so disowned. Dunno, maybe just all wrapped up in the craziness of being a De Laurentiis production....

It's a crying shame that Jodorosky never got to make his wild-ass version of Dune. But the doc is top notch.
It is cool to see the elements of Jodorosky's Dune in Alien and Prometheus.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing