Eames Lounge Chair for listening

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
I’ll see your FLW and raise you a Charles Rennai Macintosh with an Aero Saarinen kicker....
And don’t even think of using your Charlotte Perriand...

I’m out... I was just bluffing... got an Isamu Noguchi, a Luis Barragan, an Alexander Calder and only a pair of Eames’s.

Reactions: Halcro

Halcro

Dec 25, 2012
Hahaha....
I was keeping my trump card Alvar Aalto for the night session.....and if necessary, would have thrown in Gerit Reitveld, Ron Arad and Frank Gehry....:p

Reactions: the sound of Tao

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
When I saw the price of the stressless chair, I got a little tense.
In the 2010 thread early on I said ChairWorks made in Taiwan seemed to be a quality knock-off - I did not buy one.

Instead I ended up buying one of the Made-In-China knock-offs of the Eames chair from a local dealer operating out of an actual warehouse. I did some research, this was one of the better ones, but after 1-1/2 years the foam seat was permanently compressed, the buttons dangling like fishing lures. After six or seven years the back started coming apart (screws popped out) and the leather at some of the edges is wearing away - still don't know if it's real leather - does not appear to be wearing as such.

It is still pretty comfortable, I got what I paid for.

My cat likes to sit in it, I have the seat cushion scratches to prove it. I drape a fuzzy cloth on the lower seat in the winter, typically zebra or cheetah pattern.

EDIT:

I noticed this the other day:
Eames Tall Lounge Chair and Ottoman by Herman Miller
https://www.smartfurniture.com/recliners-and-lounge-chairs/lounge-chairs.html

Of course, it just has to be a couple of hundred more.

The standard one for below comparison.

https://www.smartfurniture.com/recliners-and-lounge-chairs/lounge-chairs.html

Last edited:

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
I owned several Eames chairs.
IMO the chair is too low, and sits angled too far back for listening. Pay careful attention to your ear height before u buy......

Funny thing about the knock-off I have, the daydreaming angle isn't as high. I like it's angle better than the real thing.

And about the chair being too low for tall people, I'm 5'-5" tall and it fits me fine, so I can see taller people having issues.

The actual seat height on my chair has sunk over the years and is better now than it's ever been, my ear height is lower but the angle of my speakers can be adjusted. I have a 1/4" steel plate under my rear speaker spike, going to upgrade to a 3/8" plate soon.

Last edited:

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I would try sitting in the tall version. Who knows, maybe I'd like it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing