Eames Lounge Chair for listening

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I think they're dumb. It blows me away they were ever popular. The should rename them "neck exercise chair". Misery is all they bring.

On the other hand, as Lee mentioned, the Poang is a very comfortable chair. You can't lose, they cost nothing.

Reactions: pweg

Kenc

Jan 3, 2019
Toronto, Canada
As a newbie, I'm starting to feel right at home here...

Here's my listening chair:

Attachments

• IMG_3815.JPG
    IMG_3815.JPG
    424.8 KB · Views: 34

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
That looks very comfortable, Kenc!

Kenc

Jan 3, 2019
Toronto, Canada
It works for me, Ron.
The Writer's Tears Irish Whiskey also helps Van Morrison sound smoother...

Attachments

• IMG_3816.JPG
    IMG_3816.JPG
    411.2 KB · Views: 14

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
as a chair it may be wonderful but you DO NOT want anything behind you ears when listening. IMHO anything that extends above you shoulders is not a great idea when listening

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
2018-10-12 12.19.53.jpg

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
these chairs are very comfortable, same as they use at MB dealers, that's where i saw them first and are very reasonably priced.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I think they're dumb. It blows me away they were ever popular. The should rename them "neck exercise chair". Misery is all they bring.

On the other hand, as Lee mentioned, the Poang is a very comfortable chair. You can't lose, they cost nothing.

An iconic design, created by the greatest master of modernism, made continuously since 1948 in the USA and featured in the most stylish homes world wide.

I'm not surprised you call it "dumb."' Thanks for the chuckle.

Reactions: Halcro

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
An iconic design, created by the greatest master of modernism, made continuously since 1948 in the USA and featured in the most stylish homes world wide.
(...) .

I agree with you - a great chair for a living room or any leisure space. However, as far as I know they are manufactured in only two sizes (classic and new) that will not fit everyone - in this aspect the Ekornes Reno style is a winner having many distinct sizes and ability to adjust. BTW, some people judge the Eames by the unauthorized copies that show everywhere - IMHO they are no way as comfortable as the originals.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I'm sure if you're pretty short they're ok, because then it won't be like you're hanging your head off the back to get water boarded. But I'm not discriminate on qualifications for everything "small".

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Older people tend to need the neck support and their hearing aids are not as troubled by any reflection of the head rest.

When I'm there I'll probably just get a neck brace so I can continue to sit in style and comfort.

Reactions: Lagonda

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
I had also always imagined having the Eames Chair for listening as, I just liked the look. The only thing stopping me was the potential headrest interference with sound waves. I don't know if that is really even an issue but, we all get things in our brain that don't change. DSC_2926.JPG IMG_1479.JPG

My wife and I purchased a pair on the chair in the right picture as side chairs in our living room. They are very comfortable so I decided to purchase another and alter the back to have a headrest so as not to interfere with the sound.
When I explained to my wife I was going to purchase another new chair and an extra hide of leather, cut up the back of the chair and have it reupholstered, well, you can imaging what her comments were. But, she is accepting of an acoustically treated room with generally one chair and odd looking audio equipment so it all worked.

Though the chair does recline a bit and had a foot rest built in I chose to build a foot stool to match.

Reactions: christoph

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
You need to be 5 foot tall for the Eames to make contact with your neck, let alone head. Maybe with clones you don’t. And I guess yoy could get some support if you slouched till your tail bone was at the end of the chair.

Halcro

Dec 25, 2012

I'm not surprised you call it "dumb."' Thanks for the chuckle.
Absolutely Jeff....
Not sure about the “greatest master of modernism”.....Le Corbusier, Mies Van der Rohe, Marcel Breuer, Mart Stam..... but surely, with chair design (if not architecture).....one of The Greats :cool:

DexterMiller

Jan 20, 2019
New Jersey (U.S.)
You know(?): you could have Eames "styled" speakers to go right along with the chair;)...as: they designed the cabinetry of Wharfedale's W60(E) and W70(E) models fifty-plus years' ago.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Absolutely Jeff....
Not sure about the “greatest master of modernism”.....Le Corbusier, Mies Van der Rohe, Marcel Breuer, Mart Stam..... but surely, with chair design (if not architecture).....one of The Greats :cool:

Nice moderns list Halcro... but I’ll see your Mart Stam and raise you a Frank Lloyd Wright.

Last edited:

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Absolutely Jeff....

Agreed. I added the word "one" to my post. Charles Eames is "one" of the greatest masters of modernism.

Halcro

Dec 25, 2012
Nice moderns list Halcro... but I’ll see your Mart Stam and raise you a Frank Lloyd Wright.
I’ll see your FLW and raise you a Charles Rennai Macintosh with an Aero Saarinen kicker....
And don’t even think of using your Charlotte Perriand...

Reactions: the sound of Tao

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing