EAR Yoshino 912

George Proud

Apr 29, 2023
Jupiter's caps work fine. I didn't change them myself, I have a good service man.
I'm really happy with the copper caps which are more to my taste than the silver caps. Warm sound, all the hardness disappeared. More music than hi-fi.

Reactions: MPS

SeagoatLeo

Feb 23, 2015
Another great upgrade-excels the SR purple fuse 10X at least. My two best friends and I have installed a Tripplite LC 1800 voltage regulator/line conditioner. It ONLY works in the plug closest to the power cable (and gives much worse sound from the four plugs above-thin, lacking bass, yuk). One has a Luxman CL35 mk3 with Telefunken NOS tubes and the other two (mine included) EAR 864 with different pre-amp NOS tubes (Mullard 4004/RCA clear-top 12AU7/Sylvania D getter 12AX7/RCA clear-top 12AU7). Astounding is the word now on every source from 78s/LPs/R2R/Cassettes/CDs and even the lowly MP3s.

Last week we attended the S.H.O.W. in Costa Mesa, CA. None of the high end systems sounded as good as any of our three systems now. It was the second most disappointing audio show we've attended in 25 years. Four adequate to good sounding rooms, mostly bad sounding rooms from major speakers like Von Schweikert and Raidho, etc. Prana Fidelity had the best room (almost as good as mine) and we missed the Canterbury Tannoy room which another friend said was great.
Moved on from the EAR 864 with a modified/repaired custom pre-amp/phono pre from 2000. I heard the EAR 912 stock compared to my souped up 864 and the latter just is too small sounding/lacks dimension compared to the 912 at Common Wave in Los Angeles. If you have an 864, I cannot recommend upgrading the fuse too highly, it is so significant.

SeagoatLeo

Feb 23, 2015
I have moved on to my 17 year old, unused EAR 864 paired with the EAR 890. I used Stillpoint Ultra SS under it. I replaced the line tubes with a NOS Mullard CV4004 for a wide frequency response, neutral but full bodied mids and wide dynamic range coupled with a cleartop RCA 12AU7. The phono stage has a D getter old Sylvania 12AX7 in front and double silicone rings on the rear two stock 12AX7s (JJ or Ei?). The line stage sound now has tremendous dynamics, extracts subtle musical cues, deep and wide soundstage and very wide frequency response (no lack of very deep, punchy bass here). Is it possible that it has a better line stage than the EAR 912? As Atkinson reported, he was concerned with the limited overload capabilities of the 912. It only has a stock fuse in it as does the EAR 890. Tried Synergistic Research blue fuses but the difference was too subtle (unlike their power outlets-huge improvements). Strange that those same type fuses made a remarkably huge difference on my large custom monoblocks.

As to the phono section, it sounds very good as is with a Dynavector 20X2L plugged into it versus using another set of phono cables with a Zesto Allesso SUT. It sounds more dynamic directly into the pre-amp which I suppose has inferior transformers to the Zesto but appears to be a perfect impedance match like the Allesso (at 100 ohms/max output).

I have also moved on for a year from the COS Engineering D1v. I found it lacked the body of music and foreshortened depth with my previous gear. Also, one neighbor in a $500K system was using Pangea power cables at the time. He replaced them with 6 GroverHuffman power cables and made a huge difference. I replaced the COS with an extremely modified Benchmark HDR1 (new filter caps, tantalum, power caps, new audio board, $50 audio grade regulators replacing 50 cent computer grade) Arcam Delta 270 CD player and Delta 250 transport with 15+ high quality audio filter, power and bypass capacitors as CD transport. The COS went back in now and has all the warmth and depth it was missing into the EAR system.

So, the sound I am receiving now is high end as indicated by visitors who have 50 years experience in high end audio (retailers and manufacturers). The speaker limitation is mostly in limited seating (imaging best in center seat only), larger ambiance (pending a quadradic diffuser), resolution (although I am hearing the subtlest details and dynamic shading as I've only heard in really expensive systems). The tonality is spot on. Dynamics are superwide. Bass from 6-12" woofers could have more texture but are super deep, comparable to subs.

Two friends and three local retailers told me to try the EAR 912 as it has fabulous sounding phono stage. The last time I heard it, it was tubed with NOS Amperex or Philips 6922 tubes. I read now that ECC88 (6DJ8) Telefunkens sound superior to the PCC88 (7DJ8). Really? I only know the Tele 12AX7s which I prefer not to have in my equipment.

I suppose I will try the 912. It is possible that the 912 limited overload situation doesn't exist on the 864 and/or that the line stage is better on the latter. I intend to upgrade my speakers early next year (hearing Aequo Audio Adamantis and possibly Marten Bird 2 or Parker Quintet 2, can't afford the best, Von Schweikert Ultra 7).
I have reinstalled the COS Engineering D1v, pending the arrival of the Lampizator Poseidon. Why? I coupled it with the superb Jay's Audio CDt3 Mk3 transport-apparently, the COS D1v requires a high end transport to provide high end sound. Forget my prior Arcams and Shanling ET3.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing