ECM Thread

Simon Moon

Apr 24, 2015
Count me as another huge fan of ECM!

I love their whole esthetic.

With most ECM artists, the musicians not soloing are usually playing something more interesting than just chords to back up the soloist. There is a lot more interplay between musicians, than the usual head->solo->head->solo->head...jazz format allows.

Terje Rypdal is a bit hit or miss for me, but his best is killer! My favorite by him is probably "Whenever I Seem to be Far Away". Love the cold sounding orchestration, the mournful sounding French horn, and Rypdal's playing. I'm I the only one that hears a bit if King Crimson on this?

Eberhard Weber's "Colours of Chloe" is another one of my favorites.

Other favorites off the top of my head:

Ralph Towner, Oregon, Art Lande and Rubisa Patrol, Keith Jarrett (of course), Enrico Rava. There are many more.

A recent discovery for me is Dominique Pifarély, a French violinist. I believe he only has one recording for ECM, "Tracé Provisoire " from 2016.

Bassist Michael Formanek is another one of the newer additions to the ECM roster. His album, "Small Places" is excellent.

Reactions: jeff1225 and asiufy

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Oh yeah, lots of prog in Rypdal's 70s playing, that's part of why I love it :)
What I find hit or miss are some of the recent (post-90s) output of the label, they sort of became victim of their own formula (to me). But I'll check out that violinist, as it does sound good!

KostasP.

May 6, 2016
Melbourne
Having over fifty ECM recordings ( mostly vinyl ), I fully endorse the positive comments concerning both the music and the label's consistent signature sound.

From what I have concluded, two reasons may well be responsible for this consistency. One is the musical philosophy of the label's owner \ producer, Manfred Eicher, and the other his constant and consistent sound engineer for the majority of the European recordings, Jan Erik Kongshaug, although the early American recordings share a similar consistency which tends to point to Manfred's priorities and direct involvement in the final mixing \ mastering stage.

This long and tested collaborative formula has produced truly excellent recordings of a predominantly eclectic repertoire and the label continues to offer a podium and voice to a multitude of culturally and musically diverse talented artists whose music does not comply with the more conservative and stereotyped conventions.

Recently, most of the recordings take place in an auditorium in Lugano, instead of the Rainbow Studio in Oslo ( with a new engineer and consequently sound ) but the musical priorities remain unchanged and the sound strives to be just as vivid and immediate but with image density and therefore not etched, exhibiting ample acoustic space and holography around the instruments and retaining a layered soundstage with proper scale and perspective.

An excellent recent recording is "NARRANTE" by Golfam Khayam ( guitar ) and Mona Matbou Riahi ( clarinet). Many of my favourite OREGON and RALPH TOWNER works ( analogue and digital ) are on ECM.

We should be very appreciative of Manfred Eicher's legacy; I know I am! Cheers.

I listen always learning, Kostas.

Lee Henley

Feb 21, 2014
England, UK
Had a bit of an ECM session last night and was playing Keith Jarret's album Personal Mountains, a fantastic album full of improvisations from Jarrett, Garbarek, Danielsson and Christiensen, well worth checking out when you get the chance

Simon Moon

Apr 24, 2015
Here's one that seemed to fly under everybody's radar when it came out, and still seems to be unknown, even for ECM.

South African guitarist, Steve Eliovson's, "Dawn Dance", with Collin Walcott on percussion. He made this one great album, then pretty much disappeared. I guess the story goes, he moved to the States, struggled a bit, then lost his guitar and pretty much retired from music. Sad, because the guy could really play.

From what I have concluded, two reasons may well be responsible for this consistency. One is the musical philosophy of the label's owner \ producer, Manfred Eicher, and the other his constant and consistent sound engineer for the majority of the European recordings, Jan Erik Kongshaug, although the early American recordings share a similar consistency which tends to point to Manfred's priorities and direct involvement in the final mixing \ mastering stage.

And lets not forget ECM's dead quiet vinyl.

Even the US releases used extremely good vinyl.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
This recording is also excellent.

7772D262-BF0E-463D-ACE6-AD9F8056B31E.jpeg

Bests,
Tang

Vienna

VIP/Donor
ECM is a noteable label, I have many of their records in my collection.
Last Saturday i got the Lebroba Album (Andrew Cyrille, Wadada Leo Smith, Bill Frisell) -ECM2589
The sound is fantastic!

Reactions: NorthStar

Vienna

VIP/Donor

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I am also a big ECM music record label fan. The music and the artists delivery and sensitivity, smoothness and presence, very high quality recorded by some of the best music studio recording engineers in the world fits my musical taste aplenty with the highest finesse. ...From Jazz to Chamber to New Age and Universal.

It's the top record label, certainly one of the very best. It is impossible to go wrong in life when playing an ECM music recording. ...The music label of labour of love.

So many great artist musicians, so much beautiful music, so beautifully played and recorded, so little time.

Reactions: PierreB

ChasFreeland

Aug 16, 2019
Another ECM fan here, since the 1970s. Have lots on both vinyl LPs and CDs. Too many favourites to list but here's a couple titles I was listening to over the last couple of days: Anouar Brahem 'Blue Maqams' with Dave Holland, Jack DeJohnette and Django Bates, (double album and very good), Björn Meyer, 'Provenance', a solo 6-string electric and acoustic bass album, and Barre Phillips, 'End to End', another solo acoustic bass album. Both are late night listening favourites. Gary Peacock, Eberhard Weber, and Ralph Towner have been perennial favourites, as well.

ChasFreeland

Aug 16, 2019
Thanks to Jeffrey, who, way back in February, recommended Egberto Gismonti and Nana Vasconcelos, 'Duas Vozes'. I collect their titles, but missed this one. Just ordered a "mint" copy on Discogs.

Reactions: jeff1225

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
I read that Manfred Eicher chooses the recording venue, not always a studio, to get the right sound for the work being played, which can take considerable effort to perfect. His attention to detail is wonderful, and we all benefit from it.

Great thread..

KR,
Paul

Simon Moon

Apr 24, 2015
I just got a copy of Michael Formanek's, "Ensemble Kolossus".

As the title suggests, this is a big band recording.

Really nice modern and progressive take on big band jazz. I've only listened to it a couple of times, but it seems like there is much to unwrap.

robertocrudo1967

Feb 3, 2024
Turin, Italy
If you like the pairing Nana + Egberto, look up Egberto's "Dança das Cabeças" album, from 1977.
Dança das Cabeças is definitely a great album... when I was in my teens I used to listen to it a lot (together with Debussy and Ravel in particular) and I also composed also a piece dedicated to the pair (maybe also Debussy echoes could appear here and there) which was influenced by Aguas Luminosas and Celebracao de Nupcias:

Omaggio N.3 a EGBERTO GISMONTI & NANA VASCONCELOS (Il Naufrago) (1985) - Roberto Crudo

which of course I recorded with my poor pieces of those times (a Luxman tape player / recorder, I don't remember the mics but they were very cheap) so it should not be suggested in a place like this, but the music was sincere and good, imho.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing