Editing system videos for youtube

rando

Sep 22, 2019
@bonzo75

As part of a discussion elsewhere on the site I kept hitting upon ideas more relevant to their own thread on tapering behaviors to match youtube processing and phone capabilities. For some time I have wondered what exact procedures you have worked out for anything from getting video into a phone to uploading it. A PM would've sufficed if others weren't likely to appreciate reading your reply.

One of the driving reasons behind this was noticing some uploads on your channel are in the lowest video quality supported*. Far below current model phone capability and possibly indicative of something across the number of people who send you files to upload. Leading me to the highly important question of how and where you perform any editing for time or other needs encountered. I trust you have made sensible requests where results were not indicative of in room performance others may wish to incorporate in order to avoid wasted efforts.

Insights you contribute may prove valuable for anyone contributing to the growing number of video threads. Having walked at least one member through what seemed to me very basic stuff. There is reason to believe a few nudges in the right direction are proactively helpful.

*The general consensus is highly edited prosumer content has optimal audio quality at 1080p given the exact same source. Indicative of slightly different background processing traits arising from what youtube does behind the scenes. 4K lagged due to the variability of processing power required on delivery side.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Sorry, I just record and upload it to you tube using YouTube app on my iPhone 8+Sometimes it comes across as 1080 and sometimes less, but from what I read this is not sonic it is pixelation to view. I. Just checked and my default quality is 720p.

Keep in mind videos I upload, which are not recorded by me, are recorded by someone else and WhatsApped or Facebooked to me but are all iPhone and Samsung videos. The iPhone models that came later have better quality, I will be changing mine in May.

It is just point, record, upload. Listen before uploading to confirm if representative

Last edited:
Reactions: rando

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Rando, I find that recording slightly louder often helps, but you don’t want to overload the room or the mic on the iPhone. It’s better to have a video that is loud than one that is quiet that you then have to turn up on the computer to hear properly. The videos that I made of DDK‘s system are recorded slightly too loud for the mic. Some of my system videos are recorded slightly too loud for the room.

I also always listen before I publish the video to make sure it sounds like what I remember my system sounding like. But I agree with Bonzo, it’s basically point and record and upload. Personally, I like to show the album cover and the needle drop and prefer seeing those kinds of activities to a camera that is just mounted on a tripod that never moves and never shows the source or any other activity. That way you know that is an actual recording of the system and not a recording overlaid on the image.

Last edited:

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Sorry, I just record and upload it to you tube using YouTube app on my iPhone 8+

This is more informative than you might realize. Across OS not many apps are similar. I did actually expect something more involved given the amount of audiophilia that surrounded them. :)

Keep in mind videos I upload, which are not recorded by me, are recorded by someone else and WhatsApped or Facebooked to me but are all iPhone and Samsung videos.

Again this is very informative. That large dip in video quality was concerning the first few times it happened months apart. On top of that I figured you had to perform some trimming to taste. Seems you just load it into the same app as above.

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Rando, I find that recording slightly louder often helps, but you don’t want to overload the room or the mic on the iPhone. It’s better to have a video that is loud than one that is quiet that you then have to turn up on the computer to hear properly. The videos that I made of DDK‘s system are recorded slightly too loud for the mic. Some of my system videos are recorded slightly too loud for the room.

Thanks for the reply. Peter. Appears I was way overthinking this.

The person I gave my unsolicited opinion had done a very thoughtful preparation without fully understanding what caused their recordings to lack persona. Very first thing I set straight was asking if they had stood under a bright light cleaning their lens. Why hadn't they made sure that tiny little microphone was absolutely free of anything clogging it. Followed by noting by rights it and not the framed vantage point should be in the sweet spot directly between where their ears are while listening.

By no means am I suggesting this is the case in any of your videos or lying behind the advice you provided. Can about promise someone reading this just had a panic attack it is so easy to overlook and so critical to what we actually want from the video. Far from a comment on your system portrayal, I will say that it offers explanation in at least one case here where our keen ears detected something had changed in the sound.

This is not the type of insular examination I thought we'd land on. Sucking ,not poking, is the way to cellular hygiene and cleaner videos. :p

SlapEcho

Dec 15, 2021
An excellent point made. I generally don't pay mind to the quality of the videos and pics I take with my phone because I'm normally viewing them through the phone with a smallish screen. When recently posting a YouTube video, probably because I keep all settings on default and keep the phone in power savings mode, I noticed immediately the graininess in which I initially thought had something to do with the lighting. Something new to think about.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
This is more informative than you might realize. Across OS not many apps are similar. I did actually expect something more involved given the amount of audiophilia that surrounded them. :)

Again this is very informative. That large dip in video quality was concerning the first few times it happened months apart. On top of that I figured you had to perform some trimming to taste. Seems you just load it into the same app as above.

If you post two videos from my channel you think are differing quality, I can tell you if it was due to different phones or different recordings or stern o, or even distance. Mistakenly being too far off

rando

Sep 22, 2019
If you post two videos from my channel you think are differing quality, I can tell you if it was due to different phones or different recordings or stern o, or even distance. Mistakenly being too far off

Obviously they were shot by different people on their own phone. I have no actual comment after hearing you play it by ear what you upload or reject. That you let youtube process everything was the key bit of information. Not trying to ruin the fun here.

rando

Sep 22, 2019
I got an iphone 11 over the weekend (previous 8+). Yes I purposefully use vintage iphones they are cheaper. I am getting different results from the two phones, streaming from the two phones, and laptop streaming.

I am trying to calibrate which seems more right based on systems I had recorded and how they sound played back compared to what I had heard in person.

My initial estimate is that iphone 11 is better playing back on its own, while 8+ and my laptop gave more representative results streaming to a small speaker.

Statements above were dismissed out of hand when I felt there was much of value within them. I believe most of the other's who post videos do use the newest and latest flagship model. Which gets replaced on Day Zero.

Obviously I concur with your statement per design parameter changing on their roadmap to remain a moving target. The secondary and potentially more interesting topic here is a proclivity towards bricking older devices through forced updates. UK is a different battlefield than rest of The Continent these days. So you might not be legally available to this practice.

What really piqued my interest here was to ask if you have considered in the natural order of things your next step should rightly be a DSLR with external mic? For Zero Distortion if not general usage outside the concert hall. Level of photography would also necessarily take a step upwards in chronicling your system visits. Moreover, the consistency of output would be greatly enhanced over multifunctional complex inner workings of a phone.

Nowadays simple video editing tasks such as making lower quality (smaller) copies for sharing is simple. Where the real advantage comes into play is you can strip the high quality audio file and upload a background of your choice or reinsert it into the lower quality video.

Last edited:

Walter66

Aug 22, 2022
Had to learn that it improves sound quality when recording on android using the app "open camera". There are some more apps that help to improve, but this one is freeware. Never used iphone since someone talked me into this version 4+. The recordings weren't that good either.

Walter66

Aug 22, 2022
Me too. I wrote about an App that optimized and automated the process of audio recording while a Smartphone is from default setup being optimized for voice recording.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing