EH 6922 Gold Pin: An Appreciation

paolo

Nov 7, 2016
Puget Sound
I recently replaced the very tired Sylvania 6922 in my CAV 45 S2 control amp, with one of Upscale "Kevin's Stash" EH gold pin tubes. After about 48 hours the little CAV is singing a much sweeter and detailed tune. The sound stage in my 11' wide listening room is wider, deeper, and much more "holographic."

I'm also running Gold Lion KT77's- thus giving the Mullard EL34's a rest. I am liking what I'm hearing very, very much. I can't say which tubes made the biggest improvement, but I suspect it's the 6922. "Dramatic" is not hyperbole. As in "wow!"

I now have a MUCH better understanding of just how good this amp is.
Regards,
P

Reactions: tima

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I enjoyed CJ gear for many years. A new 6922 should sound better than a very tired 6922. If you like the Electro-Harmonix, I'll suggest you try a NOS 6DJ8/6922/7308 type to hear what's possible. Philips Miniwatt, Amperex, Siemens, Telefunken from 1960-70. You only need one!

Reactions: paolo

PHAA_

Jan 4, 2024
Southeastern US
Reviving an old thread...

I've spent the last two weekends in the "archive" needledropping after reviving a Bottlehead Seduction phono pre (one of the 6.3v leads had a cold solder joint). With that sorted, I was reminded of the other reason I had set it aside: the tubes. The current set, while sounding pretty good, has a sizable imbalance (easily corrected in a DAW, but still annoying). After testing two more pairs of the same tube (EH 6922's) and observing the meters, the imbalanced ones were still easily the least noisy. As this is not the main system, I'm not really interested in going down the NOS route.

My questions:

Quality-wise, are the EH Gold Pin 6922's better?

Likewise, are the Gold Lion 6922's the best new production available from New Sensor?

Is it all just a matter of testing? I would be paying the extra for gain/balance/noise testing.

Thanks for your thoughts/experience.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing