home.comcast.net
Ingredients:

1 double pie crust for 9 1/2" deep dish pie pan

6 cups cleaned, washed, and dried elderberries
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cider vinegar

Preheat oven to 425 - put heavy tray/pan/cookie sheet larger than your pie pan into the oven to preheat along with it.

Line pie pan with bottom crust
take all ingredients except for crust, and mix thoroughly.
place in bottom crust
Add top crust, seal well. Elderberries are full of juice.
Cut many and large vents in top crust. Elderberries are full of juice and they love to clog vents.

15 minutes at 425, reduce to 350 (regular) or 325 (convection) until juice stops being hazy, and is a clear-ish purple. Berries should be visibly popping by the vents. Err on the "more done" rather than "less done" side for best taste.

Allow to cool thoroughly or the filling will run from Boulder all the way to Birmingham. I repeat, elderberries are full of juice. I'm not kidding about that.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Cool. Have to try it. Last time we had elderberry was a few years ago where we picked a ton from a U-pick on Whidbey Island. Have not had it since.

j_j

Jun 25, 2013
In the Rain
home.comcast.net
Cool. Have to try it. Last time we had elderberry was a few years ago where we picked a ton from a U-pick on Whidbey Island. Have not had it since.

If we have no catastrophe this year, you may find yourself invited to pick some from the side of my driveway. Last year we put away something like 12 6-cup bags in the freezer (semi-vacuum-packed). This year promises to be double, at worst. :eek:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
If we have no catastrophe this year, you may find yourself invited to pick some from the side of my driveway. Last year we put away something like 12 6-cup bags in the freezer (semi-vacuum-packed). This year promises to be double, at worst. :eek:
Hey, I might take you up on that! Great to have such a natural resource. Likewise, if you ever want to eat more blackberries than you can handle, let me know and you can come down to our vacation house and have some. :)

j_j

Jun 25, 2013
In the Rain
home.comcast.net
Blackberries? You mean like the 3 miles of them along the power trail back of our house? :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing