Electa Amator damaged terminal - binding post

michael.s

Sep 10, 2021
Can anyone advise me how to access the terminals on my Mk1 Electa Amator? I was over-enthusiastic in tightening and one has a stripped thread. How can I replace or fix it? Any advice most gratefully received!

DLS

Jan 12, 2013
New York
Can anyone advise me how to access the terminals on my Mk1 Electa Amator? I was over-enthusiastic in tightening and one has a stripped thread. How can I replace or fix it? Any advice most gratefully received!
EA has dual binding posts - did you strip more than one? How are the dual posts jumped - with original metal plate? You could jump them with small, banana-type jumper cables, them attach your speaker wire spades to the good terminal. Hope this helps... BTW - a great speaker in the right room!

michael.s

Sep 10, 2021
EA has dual binding posts - did you strip more than one? How are the dual posts jumped - with original metal plate? You could jump them with small, banana-type jumper cables, them attach your speaker wire spades to the good terminal. Hope this helps... BTW - a great speaker in the right room!
Thanks for the reply - speakers are bi-wired, not jumped. Only damaged one, but even connecting with jumpers would pose the same problem! Agree, great speakers, and definitely benefit from bi-wiring.

DLS

Jan 12, 2013
New York
bi-wiring the way to go (I do same with my Extrema speakers) -- no way to use bananas? I seem to remember that there is a tool to repair threading - you screw the thing on and it recuts the grooves properly - must use correct size - check with hardware store -

michael.s

Sep 10, 2021
bi-wiring the way to go (I do same with my Extrema speakers) -- no way to use bananas? I seem to remember that there is a tool to repair threading - you screw the thing on and it recuts the grooves properly - must use correct size - check with hardware store -
I understand that this would fix the thread, but ruin the gold plating. Not the best thing for connectivity. I'd like to replace the binding posts but don't know how to access them. For example, would I remove the woofer and be able to reach and remove / replace the binding posts?

DLS

Jan 12, 2013
New York
I don't know where you are located but if in US, I believe Sumikoaudio.net is still the distributor and you might want to contact them to see if replacement is available. And yes, the only way to access the binding posts is to remove the drivers (you may need to remove both for ease of access), which will give you access to the binding post mounting hardware - I think it is a single piece and bolted.

michael.s

Sep 10, 2021
I don't know where you are located but if in US, I believe Sumikoaudio.net is still the distributor and you might want to contact them to see if replacement is available. And yes, the only way to access the binding posts is to remove the drivers (you may need to remove both for ease of access), which will give you access to the binding post mounting hardware - I think it is a single piece and bolted.
I'm in Australia, thanks for your input - I'll check with the local distributor first, if its easily removable then should not be a problem even if I have to use non standard fittings

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Hmmm I see your dilemma --My similar vintage SFGH's have 4 strategically placed Phillps screws to enable the terminal holding plate to easily be removed/etc Your series 1 Amator ( And the BEST Sounding version!) have that one piece Block plate which seems to be fixed from the inside-- whereas the Series II's have the 4 screw Terminal Plate on the rear.

Unless you feel proficient to remove the Drivers I'd certainly advise an experienced trusted hand take on the chore--you stuff up those unobtainium Esotar Tweeters and its good night Nurseo_O.Remember to torque wrench the Drivers when replacing.

These times can be trying so tread carefully and good luck.

BruceD

michael.s

Sep 10, 2021
Hmmm I see your dilemma --My similar vintage SFGH's have 4 strategically placed Phillps screws to enable the terminal holding plate to easily be removed/etc Your series 1 Amator ( And the BEST Sounding version!) have that one piece Block plate which seems to be fixed from the inside-- whereas the Series II's have the 4 screw Terminal Plate on the rear.

Unless you feel proficient to remove the Drivers I'd certainly advise an experienced trusted hand take on the chore--you stuff up those unobtainium Esotar Tweeters and its good night Nurseo_O.Remember to torque wrench the Drivers when replacing.

These times can be trying so tread carefully and good luck.

BruceD
Thanks for your very pragmatic comments - you've made me rethink this, and my new plan is to make the best of the situation by trying to repair the thread as best I can from the outside, and forget about trying to get inside the box!

Reactions: BruceD

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing