EMIA SUT's---both silver and copper 120 L

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
the EMIA (Experience Music/Intact Audio) SUT's arrived today. one Silver (Ag 120 L) and one Copper ( Ce 120 L). also included was an 18" Jupiter silver/copper foil shielded wire RCA's for SUT -> Phono. many thanks to Jeffrey and Dave for allowing me to try these both in my system.

http://www.myemia.com/SUT.html

i'm starting out with the Silver SUT and am on my second side (CS Port/Etsuro Gold/generic supplied with tt DIN cable). everything cold,

first impressions. big, bold, sexy, nuanced, authoritative, powerful, very low noise, unrestrained. more meat on the bones. this is in comparison to my last impression of the CS Port phono head amp with 63 db of gain. i have lots of listening to do to compare silver to the copper SUT's and different phono cables. certainly seems to be a great match so far for the Etsuro Gold.

i can hear things waking up and digging in now. so far very promising.

SUT-1 (1 of 1).jpg SUT-2 (1 of 1).jpg

Last edited:

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
the EMIA (Experience Music/Intact Audio) SUT's arrived today. one Silver (Ag 120 L) and one Copper ( Ce 120 L). also included was an 18" Jupiter silver/copper foil shielded wire RCA's for SUT -> Phono. many thanks to Jeffrey and Dave for allowing me to try these both in my system.

http://www.myemia.com/SUT.html

i'm starting out with the Silver SUT and am on my second side (CS Port/Etsuro Gold/generic supplied with tt DIN cable). everything cold,

first impressions. big, bold, sexy, nuanced, authoritative, powerful, very low noise, unrestrained. more meat on the bones. this is in comparison to my last impression of the CS Port phono head amp with 63 db of gain. i have lots of listening to do to compare silver to the copper SUT's and different phono cables. certainly seems to be a great match so far for the Etsuro Gold.

i can hear things waking up and digging in now. so far very promising.

View attachment 62823 View attachment 62824
hello Mike,
Will you home-trial their LR Phono Corrector as well?
http://www.myemia.com/LR.html
:)

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
hello Mike,
Will you home-trial their LR Phono Corrector as well?
http://www.myemia.com/LR.html
:)

hi CK,

i have no plans to do that. but it might happen.......as things have warmed up i'm pretty over-the-top here. i suppose i should keep what's going through my mind to myself until i get some perspective and comparative listening done.

i believe i'm now also hearing just what this CS Port phono can do; it's tubes and battery power with a SMPS and is remarkable and an able partner to the EMIA SUT. and has the advantage of having a built-in MC transformer w/63db input + 2 40db MM inputs. so if were to add -2- SUT's i'd have three top notch phono channels that could be whatever gain would be needed, in a very user friendly and elegant package. the top to bottom FR and .balance is remarkable. maybe the SUT's are doing the heavy lifting, but this package considering the price and features touches all my bases.

OTOH the EMIA Phono Corrector could be on another level beyond that. would not surprise me. although not nearly as flexible (unless you add the MC Trio).

http://www.myemia.com/Trio.html

this is much more fun to talk/think/dream about than a damn virus.:)

Last edited:

advanced101

VIP/Donor
May 3, 2017
Keep us updated. I love the EMIA Autoformer, and Jeffrey is a first rate guy. I have a feeling Ill be continuing along the EMIA path.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Ag and it's not close.

agree. right now i have both the Cu and Ag SUT's, and prefer the Ag by a good margin. just more open, textures more finely rendered and more involving. at double the price it should be.

OTOH if i did not have the Ag i would be satisfied with the Cu. it is a good sounding SUT.

advanced101

VIP/Donor
May 3, 2017
Awesome. The EMIA SUT is on my list.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Hi Mike
does it have multiple taps and what ratio

thx

a

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I'm not Mike, but Emia SUTs don't have multiple taps. You can tell Dave what ratio you need and he'll wind it. You also have the opportunity to match your cart with the winding resistance.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Thanks
did u have similar experience of benefit of silver ?

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
hi CK,

i have no plans to do that. but it might happen.......as things have warmed up i'm pretty over-the-top here. i suppose i should keep what's going through my mind to myself until i get some perspective and comparative listening done.

i believe i'm now also hearing just what this CS Port phono can do; it's tubes and battery power with a SMPS and is remarkable and an able partner to the EMIA SUT. and has the advantage of having a built-in MC transformer w/63db input + 2 40db MM inputs. so if were to add -2- SUT's i'd have three top notch phono channels that could be whatever gain would be needed, in a very user friendly and elegant package. the top to bottom FR and .balance is remarkable. maybe the SUT's are doing the heavy lifting, but this package considering the price and features touches all my bases.

OTOH the EMIA Phono Corrector could be on another level beyond that. would not surprise me. although not nearly as flexible (unless you add the MC Trio).

http://www.myemia.com/Trio.html

this is much more fun to talk/think/dream about than a damn virus.:)

Mikes, the Airtight SUT also has 3 inputs to add flexibility. Great when you phono amp has limited inputs.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
got the EMIA 1:10 Ag 'silver' SUT today, been listening for the last 2 hours. had the 1:10 Cu copper for the last 3 weeks waiting.

brand new, stone cold, new short SUT <-> phono cables.........fantastic!!! shocking just how refined and dimensional it is......holographic with a capital 'H'. i'm using a generic DIN phono cable that came with my CS Port LFT1 tt.

the Etsuro Gold -> CS Port linear tracker, CS Port tt -> EMIA Ag 1:10 SUT -> CS Port phono is the best all around vinyl i have heard. delicacy i have never before experienced. totally grainless and liquid. dynamic and harmonic shading to dream about.

listening to a string quartet and i'm lost in the interplay and nuance. compelling, embracing. immediate and unvarnished.

just wow!

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
agree. right now i have both the Cu and Ag SUT's, and prefer the Ag by a good margin. just more open, textures more finely rendered and more involving. at double the price it should be.

OTOH if i did not have the Ag i would be satisfied with the Cu. it is a good sounding SUT.

i'm responding to my own post from April 26th to explain that these 2 EMIA SUT's i had at that time were 1:20 windings; and in the end we determined i had too much gain. i was a rookie and did not immediately recognize that but could tell all was not right. i expressed my concerns that maybe i was getting too much gain. many thanks for Dave Slagle holding my hand through the SUT learning process and offering to send a 1:10 Cu he had there to compare, and it was much better that than the 1:20's i had. so both 1:20's went back. then i used the Cu 1:10 and waited for Dave to build me a fresh Ag (Silver) 1:10 and i'm simply thrilled right now.

thank you Dave!

Last edited:

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Great news, Mike. I have to hear this combo at some post-COVID point in time. In case you'd like to make the edit, silver is 'Ag'. Somewhat important, since gold is 'Au'. :). Cheers!

Reactions: bonzo75

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Great news, Mike. I have to hear this combo at some post-COVID point in time. In case you'd like to make the edit, silver is 'Ag'. Somewhat important, since gold is 'Au'. :). Cheers!

thanks Brian, fixed the A'g' thing.

i really like this combo.......it's seems to be 'of a piece' and just flows along perfectly.

and you would be welcome anytime you are comfortable. last week did a home and home with jazdoc and we both lived to tell about it. :cool:

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
going on 5 hours in now; played large orchestral, solo piano, piano concerto, vocals, rock, and now jazz club. re-reading my earlier posts i figured i might need to pull in the reigns on my enthusiasm.

quite the opposite.

this combo continues to set new high marks in my vinyl experience. digs deeper, with less a sense of anything reproduced, and with more meat on the bones and realism than i've heard. it's a combination of the best parts of my collective experiences. yet it's seamlessness and sense of flow and suspension of disbelief is.......just........beyond.

it's sneaky explosive and the bass is just right and complimentary to the music.

on the big orchestral it soared in a more real way than i have experienced. less a 'sound' and more a place, players, and a sense of purpose. a magical rendition.

the solo piano, the 45 rpm Beethoven sonata, was so grounded and together.......purposeful and not frantic.

etc, etc, etc.....

now it's Bill Evans 'Live at the Shelly's Manne Hole'........separation and pulsing energy are remarkable. i listened to this 2 nights ago and it's at a whole different level tonight.

Reactions: Lagonda and CKKeung

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Forgive me, Mike, if I missed something here or in some other thread, but why are you playing with SUTs now?

Have you concluded that one of your phono stages does not generate sufficient gain for one of your cartridges? Or is this purely a curiosity thing to compare the sound of gain from an SUT to the sound of a portion of the gain coming from your phono stage?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing