EMM Labs DA2V2 versus Verity Monsalvat Pre-2

vgmbpty

Aug 16, 2021
São Paulo, Brasil
First I would like to thank in advance anybody that can share their experience an have the patience to read my story.
I stream mostly, have a well treated internet and power. My streamer is the EMM Labs NS1, my DAC is the Meitner MA3, connected through AES/EBU. My Pre is an ARC Ref 5SE, my amps are MBL N15 monoblocs, my speakers MBL 116, cables are not bad, don't want to bore you. Mostly purchased used and assembled through the last 3 years, with a lot of care and patience. I love music. It touches my spirit and it is my medicine not to lose my mind in this stressful world.

I live in Brazil, where there are just a couple brick and mortar stores for Hi Fi, mostly without inventory, and audio shows are a dream we read about on the Internet. I want to upgrade my DAC, but the options I can get (EMM DA2V2, Verity Monsalvat Pre-2) have to be ordered and prepaid in advance. No chance to demo or at least listen them. After taxes and the dealer's cut, its about a $50K USD gamble. Like buying a car without the chance of looking at it in person, much less drive it around the block.

Because of this I am very reluctant to pull the trigger. It is a very big commitment for me. Are they much better than what I have? I think yes. But which one? If anybody have heard both I would deeply appreciate any comments or guidance. Thank you in advance for any help.

Reactions: Audire

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Hi

I can only comment on the EMM DA2 v2. EMM allowed me a free home edition of it and their PRE. After some careful listening with friends I choose the EMM DAC + PRE over a MSB Select II. Since the MA3 is essentially an entry level DAC for EMM I would think the DA2 v2 would be a significant upgrade over it. The DA2 v2 is even a huge upgrade over its predecessor the DA2. Completely different sound. You will get a better soundstage and bass with the DA2 v2 for sure.

My new DAC, PRE and streamer (Aurender N30SA) are still breaking in - the Aurender N30 takes like 500 hours. However, I’m expecting it to sound better than our demos did. You can see my comparison of the MSB and EMM - Here

i hope this is helpful.

Last edited:
Reactions: vgmbpty

vgmbpty

Aug 16, 2021
São Paulo, Brasil
After some careful listening with friends I choose the EMM DAC + PRE
Oh, I would love to find this kind of friends LOL. I would even pay them just to let me listen. Thank you, I appreciate your comment. MSB is a famous brand and you choosing EMM over it says a lot already.

Reactions: Audire

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
I haven't auditioned either of your choices.

But I do own the EMM Labs DV2 which reportedly has the same technology as the DA2v2. The main difference with the DV2 is that it has it's own integrated volume control. That allowed me to sell my preamp since the only other device I have in my system is a laptop used for playing back my CD library and downloaded digital files. I tried Qobuz from the laptop but couldn't play hirez files without skips and dropouts perhaps caused by the laptop disk drive that is not solid state.

I previously used the EMM Labs XDS1v2 that I thought sounded great until I started using the DV2. The improved resolution, dynamics, and imaging amazed me. Now the XDS1 is used only as a transport for SACDs.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
In case you go with the DA2v2, be prepared to spend another 2K plus USD to upgrade digital interface to the Aural Symphonics Optimism.

If you are taking things 1 step at a time, just remember that orange rubber band fibre optic cable that came supplied with the NS1 is very, very directional, and will only allow optimum sonic performance with the connected DAC if it is connected in the correct directionality.

The cheapskate orange rubber band is not marked to indicate which direction it should connected, so you are going to have to rely on your visual sense to quantify the changes in sound imaging to determine the correct fibre cable directionality.

Last edited:

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
Just in case you dun already know -

The MA3 incorporates built in network streamer for music streaming, and is capable of fully rendering Tidal/MQA all by itself.

The NS1, connected with the EMM Labs' DA2v2 or DAC2Xv2 via Meitner's highly vaunted optilink does not perform the full rendering for Tidal/MQA.

The DA2v2 will only fully render Tidal/MQA with its USB input, and the NS1 doesn't have that requisite USB output!
It's all a bloody mess with regards to their product feature planning. Still no news when is Meitner and son going to provide upgrades to facilitate this functionality with the NS1+DA2v2 combination.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing