EMT JPA66

ShawnZH

Sep 20, 2020
22AE4FF5-C199-4E41-8873-B4472F743E56.jpeg

I got a chance to try an EMT JPA66, such a beautiful piece. Just love the vintage look, the meters, everything. Sound wise, to my surprise, it doesn’t have an overwhelming “tube sound”. Instead, it is transparent, fast and creates good sound stage and details. It doesn’t produce too much lower octave tones but the sound is very very natural, music flows. I’m using MSL platinum into MSL 1030 to its Input 3/mm, Allnic Amber into its Input 2, with gain almost cranked up to the max, London Reference into Input 4/mm with capacitor value adjustment.

I have to turn up the volume between 5-10db higher compared to my Allnic H-8000, depending on the cart. The Input 4/mm gain seems to be low and I have to turn up to volume pretty big to give London Reference a proper amplification. With Amber into Input 2, the high gain MC input, JPA66 could really drive it very well.

I have a few questions, hoping that someone here can help. There’s not too much information and user experiences shared on the internet.

1. Can someone tell me how those tubes are functioned? There’re 6 12AX7, in 3 pairs (seemingly) and a pair of ECC99 which is quite rare model. I only use the phono part of the unit, does it mean some of those tubes are of no use to me, and which ones?

2. The 12AX7 is quite easy to find if tube rolling while ECC99 is very rare. I can only find the JJ ECC99. Is there any substitute model of ECC99?

3. The Input 1 is marked 1mv, 200ohm -50%/+100%. It should mean I can set the load impedance from 100ohm to 400ohm, isn’t it? However the gain is very low. Even if I use a cart such as MSL PL with 0.5mv, it still doesn’t have enough volume unless I turn up the knob of volume on my pre very very high.

4. If I use a STUP, can I also use it into Input 4/mm and how should I put the capacitor load, into “normal”?

5. To Input 3 and 4, there’re still knobs to adjust load but they should be fixed at 47k ohm?

6. From The appearance, how I can tell it is a MK1 or 2 or others?

Thanks in advance...

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
This is really an amazing phono pre, but it does take some time to learn how to use optimally.

There’s a lot to unpack here.... a short response to begin. This is not the Mk2 version. Try using the variable output and adjust the main volume to about 2 o’clock (Unity gain) - be careful to adjust your systems preamp accordingly lower. IMHO, the EMT has Tremendous drive and low frequency extension. You will not realize this with fixed output. Also try experimenting with the RIAA and Hf curve.

Last edited:
Reactions: zerostargeneral

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Hi it seems a bit confusing if you look at front panel
Under phono 1 it say goes to 200% which I assume is 100% plus 100% so 200ohm would be 400ohm

plus there is 10db of gain available on dial below, changed to capacitance in phono 4, mc carts are relatively uninfluence by capacitance though the least is probably preferable

chat to Tango on this site who has owned one for quit a while

good luck I heard it and was equally impressed !

Attachments

• C8BF2875-0CA4-4F9B-AF44-E487452BDE81.jpeg
    C8BF2875-0CA4-4F9B-AF44-E487452BDE81.jpeg
    191 KB · Views: 25
  • 15651626-8EE3-4118-943F-37A968FB0A33.jpeg
    15651626-8EE3-4118-943F-37A968FB0A33.jpeg
    180.6 KB · Views: 26

ShawnZH

Sep 20, 2020
This is really an amazing phono pre, but it does take some time to learn how to use optimally.

There’s a lot to unpack here.... a short response to begin. This is not the Mk2 version. Try using the variable output and adjust the main volume to about 2 o’clock (Unity gain) - be careful to adjust your systems preamp accordingly lower. IMHO, the EMT has Tremendous drive and low frequency extension. You will not realize this with fixed output. Also try experimenting with the RIAA and Hf curve.
Thanks Ovenmitt for the tips.

I do use the “control output” bypassing the pre-amp stage. Following your advice, I connect the output to the pre-amp output jacks. It definitely opens up the dynamics with the main volume up to 12-2 o’clock range and I can play with the gain of the input. I haven’t had enough time to experience all sorts of records and music but it really remove the timidness of the phono stage.

Theoretically, with this connection, the phono stage is amplified once with JPA66 and re-amplify with my pre, involving 1 extra stage amplification in the process. It’s like the concept of pre-preamp. I’ll give it more audition to tell more.

Thanks again.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Tang in his EMT had

• Input 1 – gain 60 db, sensitivity and resistance load 1mv, 200 ohms
  • Input 2 and 3 – gain 71 db, sensitivity and resistance load 0.250mv, 47 ohms
The input one showed less life and energy while 2 and 3 worked fine. I think his second EMT he got customized with all three inputs same as 2 and 3 above

Reactions: gian60

ShawnZH

Sep 20, 2020
Input 1 with 1mv sensitivity indeed is quite “soft” paring with lower output carts. It is a bit of waste for people who don’t have high output carts. Low imp and middle output carts seem like a trend nowadays.

I switched back/forth the connection between Control/bypassing and Pre-out for a few times, I feel though with higher gain and more dynamics, the pre-line-stage seems to add something into the sound, making it a bit less transparent.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Well that input 1 was an issue for him even with high output vdh and other carts like Opus and Lyra, so it wasn't just lower output carts.

ShawnZH

Sep 20, 2020
Well that input 1 was an issue for him even with high output vdh and other carts like Opus and Lyra, so it wasn't just lower output carts.
Lyra Atlas is 0.56mv output, I guess anything under 1mv wouldn’t be enough high. I tried to drive my MSL platinum with 0.5mv output and found it didn’t work well too.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
- The the Control Output is for testing if the unit functions ok. Not for us to use.
- Use the pre amp output jack. Don't worry about the pre-pre amp idea that runs in your head. The EMT is a least as transparent as any top tube or ss phono out there if not more. When Bonzo visited me the transparency he heard was quite a few notches below what is now.
- Ovenmitt knows what he is talking about. Play with the hf-curve as he said. I also like to put the volume knob at around two o'clock.
- My turnover knob most of the time stay at 1 o'clock instead of 12 o'clock where RIAA is indicated.
- You can bump the sq from A to A+ rolling the 12AX7. I find best clarity from the Telefunken expensive tubes. It gives a very straight forward sound no pretty-ness. But some may find less musical. Best tube for dimensionality and more believable scale. Ovenmitt likes the Mazda triple mica more. With the Mazda the sound could lean closer to the Allnic. Both has better transparency than the stock tube, the Allnic and the Thoress. Two 12AX7s needed for each phono input. You can use different type of tube for each input. So you can end up having three different flavors in one phono. Ovenmitt has more experience rolling tube than me.
- The mono switch is also a great function.
- If you leave the top plate of the EMT open it will not play. I find out this when I was rolling tube and kept it open for convenient.
- There is no need to use a very expensive power cord with this phono.

ShawnZH

Sep 20, 2020
- The the Control Output is for testing if the unit functions ok. Not for us to use.
- Use the pre amp output jack. Don't worry about the pre-pre amp idea that runs in your head. The EMT is a least as transparent as any top tube or ss phono out there if not more. When Bonzo visited me the transparency he heard was quite a few notches below what is now.
- Ovenmitt knows what he is talking about. Play with the hf-curve as he said. I also like to put the volume knob at around two o'clock.
- My turnover knob most of the time stay at 1 o'clock instead of 12 o'clock where RIAA is indicated.
- You can bump the sq from A to A+ rolling the 12AX7. I find best clarity from the Telefunken expensive tubes. It gives a very straight forward sound no pretty-ness. But some may find less musical. Best tube for dimensionality and more believable scale. Ovenmitt likes the Mazda triple mica more. With the Mazda the sound could lean closer to the Allnic. Both has better transparency than the stock tube, the Allnic and the Thoress. Two 12AX7s needed for each phono input. You can use different type of tube for each input. So you can end up having three different flavors in one phono. Ovenmitt has more experience rolling tube than me.
- The mono switch is also a great function.
- If you leave the top plate of the EMT open it will not play. I find out this when I was rolling tube and kept it open for convenient.
- There is no need to use a very expensive power cord with this phono.
Thanks Tango for all those good tips. My unit is equipped with 2 pair of Pre-out jacks, both in RCA (instead of 1 in XLR 1 in RCA). I assume they're idential and I can connect to either of them?

My unit is equipped with all Mullard 12AX7's, which sound quite good. There're 3 pairs. Does it mean they're for input 1/2/3?

Do you know if the ECC99 can be replaced by any tubes to improve it further? Mine is with a pair of JJ. But it is very rare to see ecc99 tubes.

I have Thoress and Allnic side by side. So far I prepfer EMT for its naturalness, transparency..

There's a switch on he front pagel showing flat/varia. I usually put on flat?

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
Thanks Tango for all those good tips. My unit is equipped with 2 pair of Pre-out jacks, both in RCA (instead of 1 in XLR 1 in RCA). I assume they're idential and I can connect to either of them?

My unit is equipped with all Mullard 12AX7's, which sound quite good. There're 3 pairs. Does it mean they're for input 1/2/3?

Do you know if the ECC99 can be replaced by any tubes to improve it further? Mine is with a pair of JJ. But it is very rare to see ecc99 tubes.

I have Thoress and Allnic side by side. So far I prepfer EMT for its naturalness, transparency..

Hello @ShawnZH - I'm sorry that I haven't had time to give you a longer answer to some of your questions. I seem to be running from one zoom meeting to the next these days.

Tang definitely knows this unit very well so I am glad that he's chimed in. I echo his thoughts on RIAA turnover and HF curve settings.

I misspoke in my earlier post when I mentioned "variable output". I should have said "Line out" (pre-amp) outputs. They are variable in their output levels, which you can control from the volume knob on the front.

Another very quick answer for you - you definitely want to use the JPA with it switched to "varia". Otherwise, you are not engaging the EQ circuit. I would start with Tangs recommendation for setting the RIAA and HF curve. Then use your ears and preferences for your system from there.

Last edited:

Joao@altheamusica

Sep 20, 2010

The ECC99 is an exceptional tube and I'd recommend to use it (very low plate resistance)... EMT is not any "garage" manufacture and has a reputation paired with deep know how. The advantage of variable adjustment of the cutting curves is, imho, the heart of listening to vinyl and a journey through your records.

ShawnZH

Sep 20, 2020
Hello @ShawnZH - I'm sorry that I haven't had time to give you a longer answer to some of your questions. I seem to be running from one zoom meeting to the next these days.

Tang definitely knows this unit very well so I am glad that he's chimed in. I echo his thoughts on RIAA turnover and HF curve settings.

I misspoke in my earlier post when I mentioned "variable output". I should have said "Line out" (pre-amp) outputs. They are variable in their output levels, which you can control from the volume knob on the front.

Another very quick answer for you - you definitely want to use the JPA with it switched to "varia". Otherwise, you are not engaging the EQ circuit. I would start with Tangs recommendation for setting the RIAA and HF curve. Then use your ears and preferences for your system from there.
Thank you Ovenmitt and Joao.

I don't have too many old records therefore most of my records are recorded with RIAA. Does that still make sense to adjust the EQ? Records are all differently produced. if applying EQ setting, it may be one setting for each record. Are there any "rules" or tips where to start from?

As for the connection, with your records, I definitely will then switch to the pre-out jacks. I tried and found it made the playback much louder. I turned up the input gain to the max while using the volume knob to adjust to a listenable level to my ears.

As for ECC99, I'm not concerned about its performance. I'm just curious whether there're other ECC99s than JJ. It is not a usual tube. I am even concerned what if one day it needs to be replaced when tubes are worn. I suppose they are for the line stage?

Thanks again and sorry for many questions. Lucky to have this forum with so many experienced people willing to share.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

1) You might have to try both and see if they differ. I don't really know why they have both rca in series 1. Mine is MKII so it has both rca and xlr as you mentioned. I am using the rca.
2) Each roll of 12AX7s is for each input. For example in the pic below, red circle pair is for Input1.

1EB6BA42-4949-4561-995A-90CA4EC7F7EA.jpeg

I am not into beautiful voicing so I never tried Mullard. My Lamm amps and pre are both transparent and musical so I dont need to add more musical tubes into my phono. Imo you already have two great sounding phono, the Allnic and Thoress. The EMT with Telefunken gives you another flavor of straight forwardness.

3) My Lamm ML3 uses 6N30P. I did try replacing the JJ with Lamm tube for a few days. I did not hear any significant difference. Not like changing the 12AX7.

4) Put the switch on Variable.

I haven't been successful using the MM input of this EMT. Ovenmitt and Airbearing use a lot of MM input and a lot of SUT. Insight from them would be delightful.

Your system is mega. WoW.

Reactions: Ovenmitt

ShawnZH

Sep 20, 2020
1) You might have to try both and see if they differ. I don't really know why they have both rca in series 1. Mine is MKII so it has both rca and xlr as you mentioned. I am using the rca.
2) Each roll of 12AX7s is for each input. For example in the pic below, red circle pair is for Input1.

View attachment 71336

I am not into beautiful voicing so I never tried Mullard. My Lamm amps and pre are both transparent and musical so I dont need to add more musical tubes into my phono. Imo you already have two great sounding phono, the Allnic and Thoress. The EMT with Telefunken gives you another flavor of straight forwardness.

3) My Lamm ML3 uses 6N30P. I did try replacing the JJ with Lamm tube for a few days. I did not hear any significant difference. Not like changing the 12AX7.

I haven't been successful using the MM input of this EMT. Ovenmitt and Airbearing use a lot of MM input and a lot of SUT. Insight from them would be delightful.

Thanks Tang for your advices. I’ll try them out. I’ll go for some Telefunken, where I have to make some choices since there’re many types of 12Ax7, including those very expensive ecc803’s. I’ll report back once I have those tubes rolled in.

Over years’ upgrading, I ended up with this setup. Thanks for the comments and indeed it is my biggest hobby and it gives me a lot of pleasure. I read about your posts on the Zerodistortion site and you have also many sexy and wonderful gears. Hope one day I can visit your studio.

6E59E0C2-837A-424F-A1B4-029D8B04F077.jpeg

ShawnZH

Sep 20, 2020

View attachment 71336

I had tried to connect the JPA 66 via its Pre-Out and started to enjoy the tweaks of the volume control and gain control combo, plus the curves and EQ, a lot to play with.

When I connect to the control output, the input4/mm with my London Ref. is quite low gain and I had to turn up the volume very high. Now with the new connection, I can use the volume knob to make it very listenable at my normal volume level, which is good.

I remember in an earlier thread, Bonzo mentioned that you had some issues with lower output carts on JPA66. I assume if you did the same through pre-out, it shouldn't be an issue, isn't it?

BTW, on the picture you put 2 red circles. I assume the left circle refers to the 2 tubes (up and down) for Input 1?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I had tried to connect the JPA 66 via its Pre-Out and started to enjoy the tweaks of the volume control and gain control combo, plus the curves and EQ, a lot to play with.

When I connect to the control output, the input4/mm with my London Ref. is quite low gain and I had to turn up the volume very high. Now with the new connection, I can use the volume knob to make it very listenable at my normal volume level, which is good.

I remember in an earlier thread, Bonzo mentioned that you had some issues with lower output carts on JPA66. I assume if you did the same through pre-out, it shouldn't be an issue, isn't it?

BTW, on the picture you put 2 red circles. I assume the left circle refers to the 2 tubes (up and down) for Input 1?

That was through input 1 only, specs for which I gave in that post

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

No problem with lower output carts. Bonzo and I just thought that the factory standard input1 doesn't has the drive.

Yes left circle 2 tubes up and down is for input 1.

ShawnZH

Sep 20, 2020
That was through input 1 only, specs for which I gave in that post
I see thanks Bonzo. Then input 1 even with the pre-out circuit, it is still too low gain. This is an annoying issue with JPA66 that input 1 is un-usable for many carts. Carts above 1mv are not that many. I ordered a Lyra Atlas Lambda high output version. I hope it could cope with JPA66 with its .56mv ouput.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing