Equalizer

oldaudiobum

Jul 8, 2021
What the best bang for the buck if I want to spend $300 on an equalizer?

Last edited:

giubeppe

Mar 27, 2021
You can try the new Schiit Lokius. Probably the only thing around that range. Nice thing, it accepts balanced input (but it's not balanced internally).
On the bad thing, well we don't know as the product is too new.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Reactions: dsnyder0cnn

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Yeah, SW would be least expensive and most flexible...

If you want an old-school analog, then the dbx1231 is probably as close to $300 (I think it is a little over $400) for a reasonable 31-band stereo graphic equalizer that I can think of off-hand. If you just have a spot or two to fix, a parametric equalizer might be a better choice.

If you are somewhat technically savvy, a little ~$100 miniDSP will let you build all sorts of filters, though I've heard it can be noisy in some systems.

HTH - Don

Reactions: dsnyder0cnn

Steve Jones

Oct 17, 2022
Yes, the DBX 1231 is excellent and relatively inexpensive. It's built like a tank, far more robust than the typical DBX gear, part of their higher quality "pro" series of devices.

I will likely be accused of heresy for promoting it on a high end audio site.

I use it quite successfully to correct a particular nasty room resonance that seems to be untamable by other means. I tried miniDSP Dirac based devices that auto correct the room and had poor outcomes with the resulting sound being dull and lifeless even when setting a reasonable target response curve. As Don suggests in the previous post, if you are willing to take on a larger technical challenge, some of the miniDSP devices are pretty much fully user programmable to whatever EQ function you might want.

On the other hand, it's pretty easy to use a simple 1/3 octave analog EQ to gently correct the response curve problems small changes at a time doing adjustments individually for each channel. Try to make as little adjustment as possible to achieve desired audible effect. Use REW or similar software and a calibrated measurement microphone at the listening position as a starting point to identify the main trouble points in the response curve.

Often you'll find a null in response which will lead to the temptation to over-corrrect adding 10-15 dB gain at a particular 1/3 octave position. This will usually lead to undesirable and unnatural results and is to be avoided. Avoid trying to correct for bass roll-off in the 20-60 Hz range if this is due to the inherent physical response property of the speaker. Excessive EQ at these frequencies will only increase distortion and potentially damage the driver if too much power is applied at frequencies below the woofer's physical ability to deliver useful output.

Base your ultimate assessment of the EQ settings on listening tests using a few carefully selected very familiar well engineered recordings.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing