Erik Satie Recommendation?

HedgeHog

Mar 12, 2012
Richmond, BC
Hi All,

Wondering if you have any recommended recording for Erik Satie - Gymnopedie? Digital (CD or SACD)

I've read I should consider de Leeuw or Ciccolini. Any suggestions?

Thx in advance.

-Hedwig

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I'm interested in recommendations as well, as I only know Jacques Loussier's piano trio adaptations of Satie's work, good stuff.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Aldo Ciccolini plays Satie on the piano (the original versions). IIRC he had four albums in the 1960's of Satie piano music on French EMI. I have the British version EMI ASD2389 of volume 1, on vinyl. It may be on some form of digital. He is particularly well known for his playing of Satie. The pieces you refer to are Satie's most famous, the 3 Gymnopedies, each fairly short. Debussy arranged 1 and 3 for orchestra. Lots of recordings of these. Larry

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
Alexandre Tharaud has made a beautiful recording with Harmonia Mundi covering several pieces of Satie, Debussy, Ravel and Poulenc. It obtained a « Golden Diapason » in 2015 from the French Magazine Diapason.

Ciccolini’s complete recording of Satie’s work with EMI (I have the full set in LP and CD) is great and certainly one of the best interpretations but the sound quality is not the best available.

HedgeHog

Mar 12, 2012
Richmond, BC
Thx...I enjoy Harmonia Mundi recordings.

Occam's Razor: I just went to YT and listened to the two I was told to consider. Seems the Reinbert de Leeuw one is played at a much lower tempo than every one else's interpretation (guitar, piano, whatever). More emotion, it seems but one has to really "listen" to it. The faster pacing renditions seems to allow "multi-processing". Perhaps both.:confused:

Alex, thanks for the tip for the Loussier jazzy interpretation. I have two of his other works...very good. Do you know if Telarc ever released an SACD version?

Cheers,
H

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
No SACD, but the CD is actually HDCD :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing